FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed182G in Orlando, FL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 182G in Orlando, FL
    Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 8:53am
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say hello and that my wife and I are recent owners of a barely used 182G. We're planning to get all our camping in before the Florida weather turns hot and muggy. 

I had been camping by tent before the RV, but my wife wasn't into that. I'd go with the Land Rover club I was a part of; camping & off-roading. On one camping trip I met a British couple who had a modified Land Rover 110, which they turned into a mini RV and traveled South, Central and North American and looked up Land Rover clubs in each region they explored to see if they could hang out. 

I invited them to stay at our house in Orlando and when my wife saw their Rover RV and learned about their adventures, she got the bug to do some level of adventuring as well.

"What if we got an RV of our own?" she hugged and tugged down on my arm. "We could take the kids on adventures and camp and explore like the Welsh couple." She urged.

The next day the idea hadn't floated off. It was back in double force and built in her mind day-by-day. By the third day I was actively looking. The following week we hit an RV show. 

I got excited about this off-road RV made in Australia called the UEV 490. Check it out, it's truly amazing. Unfortunately, my wife and I didn't have that kind of money to invest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpauUSmtJmA

Ultimately, I came up with two models: the mpg and the r-pod. The r-pod was the final choice and we were in the used market so it was between two models. I liked the wrap around seating dinette and bunks and the pop-out bed model. She didn't like the pop-out variant. 

The other model we both liked included the "garage" area as they call the back port that opens to reveal a sink and cooking prep area. Having a little entertainment area was a big plus as well.

Less than a week later, searching on the net, I found a 2011 182G for sale at a really competitive price. She pushed me out the door to travel the hour and 45 minutes to go see it and it was in near perfect condition. Essentially un-used. Everything worked. It was perfect.

Cha-ching went the till, and it was ours. The end. Or, rather, the beginning.

Cheers all !!

coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 9:21am
Welcome!

We need to build an informal data base of North and Central Florida owners so that we may propose a
get-together every now and then.  I think I'll start such a thread under "Events and Campouts" and see
how it goes.

Congratulations on your new 'Pod, and Happy Trails!

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
gabe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 12:14pm
Hi coopercdrkey,

I agree that would be great. Cedar Key is another place on the list. I'll definitely reach out to you when I head up that way or to Manatee Springs. 

The Florida Land Rover Club I'm a member of has bi-annual rallies for all of Florida and they try to mix up the locations a bit to make it easier for all members to attend at least one rally per year. Florida's a big state, but some members make the trip whether they have to travel 2 hours or 5. 

Maybe we could do the same and then break the state up into sub-regions. Just a thought.

I've seen other groups use their forum to help people find their region:

CAMPING MEETUP'S
--North America
---Northeast
----New York
-----Up State
---Southeast
----Florida
-----Central Florida

Not sure if that's an option here, but it might help facility community experiences more readily. Just another thought. Anyhow, I'll look for your post and maybe sometime before it it gets too hot we could grab a group site. I wonder how many Floridians are here.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 8:13pm
Welcome!  In general that has been happening in the Events and Campouts forum semi-spontaneously.  Interested people will throw a location and date in the air and see if it sticks.   
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 8:25pm
Gabe, and what a beginning. Oh the times ahead and the Memories. Hang on , its going to be fun.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Our-pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 9:06pm
Congrats!  Enjoy the 182g - we're loving ours and we haven't even made our first trip. 
RPodWeGo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 10:17pm
Welcome to the awesome RPod and this awesome forum.  Read often and search upon topics you are interested in, great info can be found here.
RPodWeGo
RPod 177
04 v8 Toyota 4Runner
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 11:51am
Welcome fellow 182g owners, we love ours...enjoy.
gabe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 8:18am
Thanks a bunch everyone! Glad to be here.
Gabe, Rima & the kids
RP 2011 182G
2006 LR3
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 10:35am
Another welcome from another 182G owner! You will have a great time and create so many lasting memories with your family in your Pod! If you have any questions about the little inner workings of the 182G, don't hesitate to ask us - we love to help out our fellow podders.
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
 Post Reply Post Reply