R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPotential Owner with questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential Owner with questions
    Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 2:11pm
Ryan as for the cost, we bought our 2012 177 fully loaded, raisers, dome, AC, micro/conv. etc.  for little over  16k taxes in.  As for your tv a rateing of 3500lb is very close to max.  for safety I'd think twice on that one.   What ever tv you get make sure you install a tranny cooler couple hundred now will save  several thousand down the road.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
Paige View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 7:30pm
We tow with a Rav 4, 6 cylinder with the heavy duty tow package. It pulls smoothly and we live in upstate New York. We wanted the Rav for its good mpg (22) but when we pull the RPod, it drops to 10 mpg,,,and we were very disappointed with that...and that is doing 60 mph. So we take it slow. Most of our trips are around New York or in the winter around Florida. We love it.
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 2:40am
HI,
We love our Pod but were told it could be pulled with a Grand Caravan. A couple of short (two hours at most) trips soon convinced us to buy a second vehicle with more oomph. We now tow with a Dodge Durango and what a difference! The Durango barely notices the Pod while we could feel the Caravan struggling. The Durango takes lots of gas so we don't drive it much around the city, just once or twice a week on short errands.
Those first trips were in the mostly flat terrain around Edmonton, not in the mountains or anywhere you might expect your vehicle to struggle.
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Tilly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 8:06pm
I pull mine with a van that does 3500 and I talked to a guy today who tows with a 3500 suv and he has been in the mountains in the western us and says it is ok for him.  With a bad wind I have to go slower.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 11:03pm

Agree.  I used a 2003 Toyota Sienna for years with a (much heavier) popup, then the pod.  The real problem for me wasn't hills as long as they were on back roads.  The problem was highway speeds with hills and/or headwinds.

You can find a dealer that will complete the purchase ahead of time via fax/courier, then can get the paperwork to customs before you even cross the border heading south.  Hitch up, get through customs and you are on your way.  I've heard of this being done before.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 2:34pm
    Welcome, many of us started with a mini-van or suv that could tow up to 3500 LB's. Then down the road we decided that to upgrade to a SUV or truck with a bigger engine and more towing capacity due to the terraine that we travel across. If you do buy an R-POD or some other travel trailer you can always change to a newer unit later on.
     Good luck.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
ryguy76 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 11:14am
Hi, thanks for responding.

Well, at this point, we could buy the trailer, but I wouldn't leave enough money to buy a new tow vehicl. For the time being, we can borrow my parents 2012 Honda Odyssey. Is it the best scenario... No, but it's the only scenario that would allow us to get the rpod we'd really like and out camping this year.

We would do local camping until we could afford to buy our own tow vehicle, most likely a Tacoma in a couple of years. We live in Campbell River, on Vancouver Island and there is quite a few government campsites that don't require any significant journeys on logging roads, hills or curves to get to. Several are flat journeys on paved roads. So that's what we'll work with until we can buy a tow vehicle and the kids get a bit older for longer, more adventurous journeys.

We're going to look at some trailers today and see if the rpod is the best fit for us, but from my research online, it sure looks it will be. Even with the money I'd save by going into Oregon, it seems like quite a hassle to get it across the border now. Having the paper work faxed 72 hours before crossing etc. that would mean we'd have to stay there for a few days away from the kids on our buying trip. Is there good value in buying locally for service reasons? What price should I put on that when I factor in potential savings of buying in the states?

Thanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 11:11pm
Welcome.  What is your tow vehicle year/make/model?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 10:28am
Being born and raised in WA, and having spent a considerable amount of time in BC & Alberta and therefore knowing the terrain very well, I would suggest you think through completely how, when and where you would use the Pod for camping.  While I also only have a 3500# towing limit for mine, I currently live in Charlotte NC where our terrain is mostly flat with some rolling hills, and we are content to head to nearby places to camp that are not a days drive away.  Unless I was going to be doing the same type of camping in WA or BC, I wouldn't even attempt it in my rig.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 1:59am
Welcome. This is a great site with a lot of knowleagable and helpful people. Now, be very diligent with your research before you buy a Pod and tow with a vehicle with a 3500 lb. rating. If you tow short distrances in non demanding conditions, you may be satisfied with this tow rig and trailer combo. But if you tow foothills and passes ( which pretty much describes my state of Washington and your beautiful B.C.), then you could struggle some and cause some real hardships for your vehicle. There have been many of us here who have tried towing our Pods with a marginal vehicle and been pushed into an expensive vehicle upgrade. I'm not trying to be a downer type person, as our RPods are great and a lot of fun. I just don't want anyone to be disappointed with their Pod experience. Your tow rig can't be too big, but can easily be too small.  So be careful, and good luck with making a decision that works for you. 
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>