R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator/LED Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator/LED Questions
    Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 4:56pm
We are going to buy a generator for dry camping. We plan to run it just to charge the 2 batteries by using the shore power cord and trailer charger. My questions are: (1) Can we charge the batteries this way? (2) How long will it take to charge the batteries if they are down to 25%? (3) Any recommendations on the smallest generator(s) for this purpose? I am also replacing the light bulbs with LED ones. Does anyone have a good source for these LED bulbs? Thanks.
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 5:13pm
Renosteve:

Batteries you should not let a battery go below 10% of their charge prior to re-charging.  In order to charge a battery, you must put at leas 2V more into the battery.  12V charge should be 14V input.  Do not let a battery get down to 25% or you will soon be buying new batteries.

For dry camping, you could use for instance, the Honda 2000EUI but then it does not have the 30Amp hookup on the side.   Their next size up does and it will cost you more.  Honda's are the most expensive generators and yet, the quietest and most reliable (my opinion).  You can also gang 2 of the 2000EUI together with a special cord.

So, to answer your question, the 2000 is the smallest but highly recommended is the 3000.  You can charge your batteries with the 2000 but the connections will need to be changed or you will need some adapters.  The 3000 has the 30Amp connector built in.  The 2000 does not.

Every camper I have known has had a problem of the "assumption of cities" when camping.  Just turn on the heater, the stove,etc....so, either mark everything good when just "charging" the batteries or expect a crapout.

LED bulbs...I found them a DHGate.  They are shipped over here quickly and are the best bargains of all.  We changed every bulb in ours out to LED's.

Burt

Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 8:11pm
Either a Honda 2000 or a YamahaEF2000is would do a good job for you, but you're looking at nearly $1000 for either. You do get what you pay for here, as both are quality generator/inverters, and being inverters is important to protect electronics. A 1000 Yam or Honda would also charge well for you, would be 20 or so lbs. lighter, and a couple hundred dollars less. I've never timed it, but it usually takes a couple three hours to charge my battery with my 2000 Yamaha. Some of the knock off brand generators are considerably cheaper, but may not be inverters and up to now have been pretty noisy compared to the Honda and Yamaha.
I, too, replaced all of the lights in our Pod with LED's bought on EBay from China. They were cheap and work well. Just be careful, as some LED's have a bright white glow and some are more creamy. Some people like one and some the other.  
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 10:06pm
I have a Champion that is big enough to run everything on a Pod and was less than $400.  It has a clean output and is a few db louder than the Honda, but is twice the output of a 2000, and works well.  You can't run any of them in quiet time and the noise is not objectionable.  You need to decide how to spend your money.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
renosteve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 7:54pm
Thanks everyone for the info. I think I'll compare several generators. The Hondas seem expensive.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 9:31pm

Welcome.  As was mentioned above, you are taking your battery too low.  The correct info is - keep it to 50% SOC (state of charge) most of the time, but you can occasionally go as low as 30%.  Never go below 30%.  

Batteries accept a charge faster the more discharged they are, and will quickly charge up to 80%.  Its the last 20% that takes a very long time.  So for best use of your fuel keep an eye on the SOC via the voltage (see Wind Sun's battery FAQ for a chart and lots of good info).  Once you get down to 50% then start the generator for an hour or two.  You may find you only have to do this every 2-3 days, but not every day.  As for that last 20%, don't try to put that charge into the battery via a genset, that will be a big waste of fuel.  Wait until you get home and let the grid do that.  With on exception - if you will be on the road for longer than a week, once a week you must get the battery back to 100% to prevent sulphation. 

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Burt

Renosteve:

LED bulbs...I found them a DHGate.  They are shipped over here quickly and are the best bargains of all.  We changed every bulb in ours out to LED's.

Burt

Burt, any chance you remember or know of the part numbers you used when ordering these?  I want to change mine out and went to this website & the prices are great, but trying to find the right ones out of the hundreds offered is a bit mind-boggling.

Thanks - P
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 9:44am
Regarding LED replacements for the interior lights, I have found these units from SuperBrightLeds.com to be the best I can find. They use 18 type warm white 5050 LEDs. They are just a bit whiter than the factory 921 bulbs, are of equal or slightly greater brightness, and draw about 1/6 the DC current. They seem expensive at first look, but I've tried several of the cheaper planar multi-LED units from China and you get what you pay for. Too blue, unregulated, poor quality, and generally less acceptable. I've ordered an amber version to try in the "porch" light.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-18-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/397/
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 10:17am
LED questions:

Yes, I do have all the part numbers and will supply them later on today.  I'm on PCT, so you will likely be getting my reply late tonight.  Our POD is a 171.  I'm confident however, the bulbs and fixtures are the same.

My biggest clue to replace these was putting my hand on the Porch light and feeling the intense heat.  That got me going fast to replace the LED's throughout.

BTW, I also have used SuperBrightLED's.  They are good and somewhat competitive.  However, if you understand the kelvin ratings and what they mean to colors, you can get the same stuff less expensive.  I've been making LED flashlights for years now.  You can turn an ordinary flashlight into one that will last you forever with a few dollars and understanding OHM's law to reduce the amperage.

Another BTW, I know a guy here that replaced lights with LED's in his motorhome.  It cost him over $400 from a trailer supplier.  For a drill and the fun of it, I priced out the DHGate bulbs and came up with $120.

Ours cost us $70 for every bulb in the POD

Burt
renosteve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 1:54pm
Hey Techntrek: Thanks for the reply. Have you installed a more accurate meter than the factory panel to keep track of your battery charge status? Seems like this would help keep better track of charge.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>