This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJust starting!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just starting!
    Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 9:14pm
Hello fellow Podders!  Having just visited a RV show here in Asheville, NC, i think we have officially gotten the bug!  Or perhaps i shoud say frog?  Anyway, we have tent camped for several years and are ready to take the leap into camper camping.  It's just 2 adults, 1 child and 2 dogs and i thought the RPod would be a good way to get started.  I like the weight and design, though i have never towed anything before.  So since we are just "looking" at this point, i thought i would ask all of you knowledgeable podders a few questions!

1) Anyone tow with a Mazda CX9?  Its an AWD and has a towing capacity of 3500, so i think we are within range.  When deciding on tow weight, i imagine I add the camper weight + hitch?  What about battery and propane tanks?  Since we were looking at the 182-G i bet it could heavy in a hurry.

2) What sort of hitch would your recommend?  Is there a specific ball size?  My vehicle is tow ready but lacks a hitch.

3) When dry camping, how long would you guess the propane would last when it is running the fridge and heat?  Does the a/c work off the propane? 

4) Does the microwave work off the battery?  How long does the battery typically last?  Does it automatically recharge when plugged in?

5) Has anyone looked at the MPG?  (or is that a forum violation?!)

Thanks for any feedback!

Frank
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 10:24pm
Welcome:Well IMHO you are pushing it.The dryweight of the 182G is 2660#, AC about 100#, microwave 45-50#, 2 batteries 130#, 2 LP tanks 50# plus you, wife, child, and 2 dogs lets say 350#, now you are at 3340#. You have not put anything in the trailer or the car. You see, anything you put into the car is tow weight.
I recomend the Equal-i-zer WDH with build in sway control.
Microwave only works on 110 V.
AC 110V only.
We were out for 30 nights last year we used 1 bottle LP.
I have 2- 6 volt batteries, all my lights are LED, we use a gen. in the morning for breackfast and for dinner in the evening, so therefore our batteries are always fully charged.
I locked at the MPG put it was heavier than the RP172, plus the MPG is no longer made.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

AVLFrank View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 8:56am
Thanks very much for the reply and the information!

I was wondering if a veichles "tow capacity" included the occupants and actual vehicle load...  i obviously have more homework to do!

Thanks for the recommendation on the hitch!

Curious about the MPG - didnt realize they were no longer in production, just happened to see them in a few ads... good to know!

Your comments about the trailer weight i found interesting... i thought the microwave would be included, but if the a/c is optional i understand that extra weight for that.  Also, you mention 2 batteries and 2 bottles of propane.  Do you recommend bringing an extra battery and bottle of propane?   Or just if you are going to be dry camping for 30 days! 

Thanks and have a great day.
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 9:23am
Welcome!  We were like you and looked for a long while, did our research, and then bought our 171 last fall.  Marwayne did a great job answering your main questions, so I just have a bit to add to it.  The 182 is a great model, but with your TV you should look at the lighter-weight Pods that are available.  Our TV is also rated at 3500# and that weight difference was a big consideration for us to drop down to the 171.

Also take a few moments to consider where you will be doing your camping before trying to figure out if you need or want to add dual batteries & propane tanks to your Pod or any other trailer you may get, as those will add a lot of weight to the tongue.  We live just down the road from you in the Charlotte area and have had absolutely no problems in finding state parks that have trailer sites with electricity & water hookups.  Add to that the plethora of private campgrounds here in the Carolinas that have the same (or full hookups) and you should find lots of options available that don't require you to have to live off of battery power alone.

Same holds true for the propane tank, in that there are things you can do to cut down on consumption and thus not require the need of 2 tanks.  We came from years of tent camping into our Pod, and we still use our Coleman camp stove to do a lot of our cooking on outside of the Pod itself.  A recent purchase is a small electric heater for use on colder nights, which eliminates having to run the propane furnace.  And when we are hooked into electric power we make sure just to turn on the electric portion of the hot H2O tank and not the propane.

Of course we always have the ability to go boondocking with it if we want to, but that's not our main emphasis nor requirement.  A single fully charged battery (as I have learned from other posts here) will easily last all weekend if one is somewhat conservative with the use of it, and a single propane tank will go much further as well. 

Good luck with your research, and maybe we'll see you out at one of the nearby campgrounds in your own Pod soon!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
AVLFrank View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 10:07am
Hi thanks for your reply.

You are certainly correct, there are some great campgrounds available with hookups and all... i am just curious at this point!  There is some land that we have access to w/o hookups and just wondered how that would work.   You are the second to mention 2 lp tanks.  I didn't realize these units had places for 2 or do you just bring along a spare?

I hear you about the weight, but when my 12yr old son saw the "tailgate" option, he was excited, and i think its great to have an outdoor kitchen, and hey, if the game is on, no harm right??!  I will definately need to do some research on towing restrictions, and perhaps put the family on a diet to be able to pull this bad boy.  Truly at this point our intent is not to straggle to far from home.  As you said, we are already in a "camping destination", just pick your park!  The Smokies are less than an hr away.  The Blue Ridge Parkway is 5 mins away, Pisgah National Forest, etc!

SO i will continue to do some homework, and check for forum for advice and info!

Thanks for your input! 

PS: Come on out to Asheville some time, the president seems to like it here :)

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 11:06pm
Welcome.  If you plan on mostly doing local trips you will be ok with that TV (tow vehicle).  The problem is highway speeds especially with hills and/or head winds.  Long trips on the highway will be a problem.  It isn't the weight of the pod, its the wind resistance once you get above 55 mph.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
AVLFrank View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 9:16pm
Hi and thanks.  That is very interesting to know.  I wonder about torque as well... if the campsite is up a mountain, or up on the blue ridge parkway, i wonder how difficult it would be to tow a 3000lb payload...
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 10:03pm
Just back from Smokemont campground in the GSMNP.  No hookups at all.  My second outing in with my 176 rpod.  The first trip was to the Florida panhandle.

First, what I think is most important, you will probably be much happier if you can stay way below your tow weight limit.  If your limit is 3500 lbs, you likely won't be happy towing 3300 lbs.  Relatively short trips to the OBX, or driving around back roads in Florida where the highest point is something like 285 feet above sea level you'll do fine, but anywhere you mentioned in mountains will more than likely wear you out as well as your tow vehicle.  Pulling up mountains is hard on your engine and transmission when you're at or close to your limit.  Weight distributing hitches help, I suppose; I have no experience with them.  Rpods come with electric brakes and you will need them.  Your vehicle probably isn't set up for them, though it can be.

The weight issue is what you have to figure out first.  Spend some time looking into what other people say. 

I don't know if any rpods come with mounts for 2 propane tanks, or batteries, but it's easy to add them.  Tongue weight is going to be a separate consideration with an extra battery or LP tank.  You can try thing with one tank & one battery and add another of either or both later.  Depending on the weather and what you use it for a bottle of propane can last a month or more.  In the Smokies Wed - Sun, I went through almost 40 lbs of propane.  There were extenuating circumstances though -- my on board water started to freeze at about 25 or 26 degrees and it got down to 20 so we turned the heat way up.

As for the battery, I was almost sure mine wouldn't last through 4 nights of cold weather so I picked up a 2400 watt inverter generator for the trip (and future trips).  It's a lot to lug around but in my opinion necessary for the places we like to camp -- with no hookups.

If you're going where there are electric hooks or you take a generator your battery will last almost forever and you might never need to use propane.  If you're boondocking 2 or 3 days or more without charging the battery somehow you'll probably get in trouble.  Propane exchange places are ubiquitous anymore, and places to refill a tank aren't uncommon around camping areas.  I carry a spare tank so I have plenty of time to get a refill.

TT
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 12:24pm
We'll just say "Welcome", since our total experience is in Florida State Parks, (good hook-ups and flat terrain.)

We watch topics like yours closely, however, since one day, Lord willing, we will have the time to head in
your direction.  We love the western part of SC, and the Smokies in that area.  

Safe travels, and lots of fun!
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
AVLFrank View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 12:33pm
Thanks for the replies! 

Yes, it has been cold up this way as of late.  Some good snow in the higher elevations but not too much here in the "valley".  I am familiar with that campground and have always wanted to stay there.

I am considering if we give this a try, and enjoy it to the extent we are going more often and farther out we might just decide to upgrade our tow vehicle.  I bet that is a common occurence amongs camper owners.

I see you are using a Jeep Cherokee - just out of curiosity what is your tow limit and do you feel you have enough power?

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>