R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator when camping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator when camping
    Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 1:27pm
Still learning tons about this stuff so please be kind to the newbie...

When using a generator while camping, where do you typically put it? Do you have to have it out of the weather?

Just trying to figure these things out...
2010 R-Pod 152
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by GlennZippy

When using a generator while camping, where do you typically put it? Do you have to have it out of the weather?

When running the generator, I put it in the least most annoying place (sound-wise) as possible.  If I can, it goes into a hollow or back into the trees aways.  Basically, I try to be respectful to my neighbours.

When its not in use, the generator is stored at the back of the trailer, locked with a cable to the trailer frame.  I made a cover for mine using an old tarp - I leave the cover on the generator when not in use.

Although a few drops of rain won't hurt it, we'd have to be in dire straits for power before I'd consider running the generator during a downpour.  Certainly, defrosting dinner in the microwave or making a pot of coffee isn't what I'd call an emergency.  If I did have to run the generator in the rain, it would be under the awning or otherwise protected.  Remember: electricity and water don't mix, and a portable generator isn't grounded so its that much more dangerous.  Not to mention what may happen to the trailer if the electronics in the generator's inverter happen to short out.  Honestly, in 8 years of camping with a generator, a dire situation where I had to run the generator in the rain has never come up.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 8:57pm
I'm new to rpods and generators, but I think Outbound's post pretty well covers it.  I've used my generator once -- last weekend -- so I just read the manual and it says don't run it in the rain.  Depending on how much I wanted electricity, I might put the generator up on something off the ground and tent a tarp over it, making sure to keep the material well away from the exhaust and otherwise giving the engine plenty of room to breathe.

For me in the pod, the generator noise quickly disappeared with an electric heater fan going and other distractions, so while the noise may not bother you, as Outbound said too, be sensitive to your neighbors and obey campground rules regarding generator hours.

Whatever you do, don't run the generator in, under, or with the exhaust aimed at the pod, or in your tow vehicle.  Carbon monoxide ain't no joke.

TT
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 11:17am
Noise may depend on the type of generator.  I have an old Generac that you could hear anywhere in the campground...   stays in barn now.. Not allowed out.

I also have a pair of Hoda 2000 Inverters..  The main generator has 12v charging etc too, the Companion allows you to sync up both of them for a full 30amp power source.

These little Hondas purr, noise is low. BUT the best thing is that they have a fuel pump.  With a special cap  http://www.amazon.com/EXTENDED-FUEL-HONDA-Eu2000i-GENERATOR/dp/B004BJ5YKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362154440&sr=8-1&keywords=honda+generator+cap

You can hook up an outboard motor fuel tank  Mine runs for days on a single tank.  Hose can be split with a T to run two generators on a single tank.  Easily gives you all night AC .....    The generators sip fuel as the speed does not determine frequency.  As inverters they are generating DC (no frequency_) then inverting it to pure sine wave AC.  So when the load drops, the speed drops.

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 11:19am
Now, I gotta figure out where to carry this Gen stuff.  One idea is to put a Yakama cargo basket up top and move the spare tire there.  I can then put a cargo tray in my rear receiver.  I think it will handle it.  My tongue weight will probably balance when I load some stuff in my forward dinette area. 

Any ideas anyone?
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 11:20am
Note, for comparison... Yamaha also has an Inverter...  IT DOES NOT HAVE THE FUEL PUMP LIKE THE HONDA.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 11:29am
When traveling, if you can't fit it into your tow vehicle, how about inside the Rpod on the floor inside the door.  Does not increase the tongue weight an appreciable amount.  When camping, put under the rpod near the front.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Camper Bob

When traveling, if you can't fit it into your tow vehicle, how about inside the Rpod on the floor inside the door.  Does not increase the tongue weight an appreciable amount.  When camping, put under the rpod near the front.  Safe Travels.

I was afraid of any gasoline odor??  DW has a tender nose.  Another thought is to put the cargo carrier on the roof of the TV and carry the auxilliary fuel tank up there...  safari style.. 
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 2:10pm

Be extremely careful about running the generator under the camper.  Carbon monoxide is nothing to fool around with.  You might do fine, but if you don't you may never know.

TT
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Be extremely careful about running the generator under the camper.  Carbon monoxide is nothing to fool around with.  You might do fine, but if you don't you may never know.

TT

Good Point, I will remember that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>