Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnother Newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Newbie
    Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 10:19pm
We're Jack and Pam - Jackpod - and live in Georgetown, TX in Sun City.  We recently found a gently used 2011 RP 176 that we couldn't resist.  Thought about a Casita first but Jack couldn't stand up straight in it and our Pod has more room.  We're former RVer's - tents, fifth-wheel and got the bug again after many years without.  We chose the 176 as Jack will sleep on the converted small queen with Abby the Bichon, and I'll take the lower bunk.  The upper is terrific for storage.  We've done a lot of organization, but no major mods as yet.  Learned about the light recall on the forum and are waiting for a dealer near us to receive the parts from FR that have been requested.  We did take one trip - to Port Aransas and had a great time.  As we're towing with our Buick Rendezvous which is rated for 3500 lbs., we were frequently passed on the toll road where the speed limit is 85 mph and we were going 55!!!  We're doing all we can to keep it light including removing two bucket seats from the car.  We know our mileage will be low and sure wish the price of gas would recover. As many of you have said, we're quite the object of interest.  Two couples followed us to our house to see Jackpod when we returned from our trip. We have been wondering about the FROG rally this summer in Goshen. We may be in the area and have never attended a rally.  What could we expect?   That's enough for tonight.  Thank you Doug for helping me log on. 
Pam and Jack
Abby the Bichon
RP 176 towed with 2013
Nissan Pathfinder
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 7:58am
I am 6'4" and also looked at the Casita...  I have full standing headroom in the galley area.  After camping a few days, the comfort of being able to stand up straight is going to be worth a lot. 

I think if we drove under 60 our mileage may not be too bad.  Have not gone on a "trip" yet, but have pulled it up and down the Interstate going to weigh station.  We are still figuring out where to put things. But it looks like there is more room than we thought.

If you consider packing for a suitcase trip staying in motels, and compare that just to the storage area under the two dinette seats, each is bigger than a suitcase.  I will take the smaller one, DW will take the larger one.  if it does not fit, it is not needed. 

Under the built in queen is a large enough area for a good size plastic storage box plus a laundry basket. We can use that for extra blankets.  

I do not plan to do much cooking in the pod, but we did order a bamboo chopping board cover for the two burner gas stove.  We ordered a different one to span the sink.  We have a one burner electric hotplate and plan to put that over the stove on the board to make coffee, tea, or scramble an egg.

For heaver cookinig the hotplate will move outside and plug in.  This will conserve propane.  If we are paying for campground hookup, why not use it. 

The same line of thinking goes for a small ceramic heater....  no need to burn propane to heat this well insulated space. 
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 8:54am
Welcome Jack...enjoy.

Thinker...I too am 6'4"...hence why I have a pod...able to stand.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 12:02pm
Welcome, glad to see you finally got in.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply