R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLubrication

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lubrication
    Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 5:50pm
303 Protectand is available on Amazon, too. It's good stuff.  It's a lot more expensive than Armor All, but I've had much better luck with 303. It seems to do a lot better job over time.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 8:09pm
After reading your input on 303 I have ordered 32 oz. from Amazon.  I've never heard of it before but quite a number of very impressive reviews.  It says it can also be used on tires and our fiberglass shells.  Looking forward to using it.  Again, thanks for your suggestions.  The weather here in Portland is slowly warming and drying.  Our first scheduled trip is the end of April to the Gold Beach area, if any are familiar.  Then for a full summer of camping trips.  Have reviewed Techntreks check list for dewinterizing.  Am soo ready to start it.  But, I think to be prudent, I will wait another couple of weeks.  I did find my smoke detector in the Pod beeping once every 42 seconds or so.  Have replaced the battery twice with new batteries which both tested "good."  I did look thru my 3 ring binder with all of the brochures on all the appliances installed in the Pod.  Did find the instructions for the smoke detector.  Seems the detector has a 10 year warranty.  So will be contacting the manufacturer tomorrow to see about a replacement.  The brochure specifically mentions not to take it back to the dealer.  Will report in tomorrow what the final result is.  (We're so ready to go camping.) Hope to see you in Seaside in August.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 2:26pm
Camper Bob and others new to 303: It's a quality product, but you need to be a little careful when you apply it. Make sure you don't apply it in direct sunlight  or when it's very cold out. Applied in sun, it will tend to streak and necessitate a reapplication. When cold, it doesn't penetrate and dry well.
P/S Bob, my Gorilla Nuts are holding up and working well. Thanks. 
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 3:29pm
Thanks for the heads up.  I ordered a 32oz. refill of 303 from Amazon.  With shipping about $18.  Seems that the smoke detector is ok but the unit next to it was beeping.  Changed its battery and now all quiet on the western front.  Gonna start checking inventory on the Pod today. Paper towels, tp, etc.  Very anxious to head out.  My Gorilla's are also holding up nicely.  I did, prior to taking delivery last year of our Pod, did also purchase a torque wrench for the first time in my life. I religiously tighten the bolts prior to each trip.  Great peace of mind.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 4:48pm
Not sure if I have this on the dewinterization checklist, but I always take the batteries out of the smoke detector and CO2 detector when I winterize.  I leave the smoke detector dangling open to remind me to put the batteries back in, in the spring.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 8:11pm
After re-reviewing your instructions, you did mention the batteries being removed for the winter months.  Did not do that.  But now all is well.  Can we expect you in August in Seaside?  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 9:36pm
Seaside?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 9:11am
Yea.  Our August roundup in Seaside, Oregon.  C'mon out and join us.  Going to be a party!!  I have contacted FROG and we are awaiting confirmation from the campground.  If they will set aside 15 spaces for August 15th to 18th, FROG will sponser our roundup and invite all Forest River products to join us.  If they do FROG will also sponser a dinner for all.  There is an Rpod maufacturing site about 120 miles from Seaside and we will try and get some factory reps to come out.  That is still pending.  In any event, make it your big trip for the summer.  For all you locals, hope to see you there too.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 8:34pm
We'll be doing all of the southern US for most of July so Oregon in August would require winning the lottery well before then.  Clap 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 10:11pm
After following the excellent de-winterization guide that has been so expertly prepared by TechnTrek, we are now ready for the camping season.  I did use the lithium spray on the steps, door hinges, leveler jacks and all are operating as smoothly as anyone could want.  Those balky steps now undo very easily.   I am awaiting a little warmer weather to apply the 303 to the door gasket and possibly the tires.  Amazing stuff.  We are headed out in a little more than 3 weeks for our maiden voyage for 2013.  Thereafter have made reservations at other locations for a total of 5 more trips thru August.  Sept. is still open.  For all of you who are still battling the winter elements, I commiserate with you and can safely say, Spring will arrive, soon.  In any event, all have a wonderful camping season and I hope to meet lots of you in Seaside in August.  I have also begun the search for our next tow vehicle.  I was initally looking into something with a 3500 lb towing capacity, but after reading some of the many comments on T/V have decided to up the ante.  Looked at the Honda Pilot today with 4WD and its towing capacity with its V6 is 4500 lbs.  Gives us a little more margin for towing up the mountains.  Probably wait for the 2014's before trading in our Tahoe which will be sorely missed.  Till then, safe travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>