R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: [RFC/Need Help] Cellular Amplifer Antenna Install
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed[RFC/Need Help] Cellular Amplifer Antenna Install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: [RFC/Need Help] Cellular Amplifer Antenna Install
    Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 12:29am
I camp out in the middle of nowhere most of the time, but I like to keep in communication with the world.  I've purchased this kit: Inside antenna, Outside antenna, antenna mount, and amplifier.  Now I'm just trying to figure out how best to install it with minimal drilling and visible wiring. 

At the moment I'm thinking of installing it just above the front corner of the slide-out, running the wire across the roof, and down the gray water vent, then pull it out and install the amp and inside antenna inside the access panel behind the bathroom sink.

Any suggestions? 
2009 FJ CRUISER (ARB BUMPER, Rear Airlift 1000, and some other stuff)
2013 Forest River R-Pod 177HRE (Mods)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 1:03pm
I used to use an external cell antenna.  I know it is critical to keep the external and internal antennas as far apart as possible, I never had an issue because until my most recent phone I always bought phones which had external antenna connections so I didn't need the amplifier.  Now they've shrunk the connections so small most phones don't expose it anymore because you would end up ripping the outlet right off the board inside with a little pressure.  They are only good for testing - and only with the case open.  I'll be curious how your setup performs since I may get one eventually.

My suggestion is to put the amp in the bottom of the outside fridge compartment.  You have access to 120 and 12 volts from there, plus you can run the external antenna up to the top of the compartment and either mount it horizontally inside, completely hidden, or drill a hole to the roof (seal it well).  Then maybe you can run the internal antenna to the furthest spot underneath the floor of the slideout?  That would keep the entire system 100% hidden.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply