Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RPodder, quick question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RPodder, quick question
    Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 11:50am
Hello everyone!  My wife & I are new RPod owners...we bought a used 2010 model 171 this past December to camp out at our property.  We've slept in it a few times and love it.  One thing that I've noticed is our refrigerator doesn't seem to operate off of propane alone...when I switch it to that mode the LEDs blink red and stay that way indefinitely.  If the generator is running and I switch it to electric the LEDs turn green and it seems happy although it doesn't seem like it gets real cold.  Is there a pilot I have to light in order to make this work???...the furnace blows hot and the hot water heater works like a champ though Smile.  
bhamster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 12:27pm
Do you hear the igniter attempting to light? It's probably easier to hear outside but it sounds like a rapid clicking noise and if everything works there's a "puff" sound and then it's all good. It will try a few times before giving up.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 12:34pm
Welcome.  My first reaction is you need to purge the lines more after turning on the LPG, but the water heater is father down the line and gulps propane (in other words, the line is purged if the water heater is running).  I agree with bhamster, first step is to see if it is attempting to light.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
bhamster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 12:39pm
Along with what techntrek mentioned, I also will get a failed start on the fridge if I just turned on the LPG tank and don't run any other gas appliances. I'll usually run the stove first to bring the gas closer to the fridge.
EEBowHunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 3:22pm
I don't recall hearing it attempt to light...I've read a few threads that talk about a gas valve or perhaps making sure its plugged in and everything seems normal but I haven't heard it attempting to light.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 4:52pm
To run on propane, you will also need a 12v supply - either from the battery or from your converter (when its connected to 120v).  But, as you can see lights blinking, I assume that you have power.

So, if you've got propane and you've run your stove for a few minutes and the fridge still won't light (let it try for a couple of minutes), my guess is that a spider has set up home in your fridge's venturi tubes.  A can of compressed air for cleaning electronic equipment (link) will usually clear the little bugger out without any fuss.  If not, a pipe cleaner or a special venturi brush from the RV shop will be needed.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 5:35pm
So I got back from the property yesterday and I have a few more data points regarding the refrigerator.  I connected the propane and turned the gas on.  I also connected the battery as well as hooked up the Honda EU1000 generator so both DC & AC circuits had power.  I then lit the stove burners for several minutes (following your suggestion above Smile) and tried switching the refrigerator over to propane.  The error light still came on and I left it in that mode while going around back listening for the igniter *clicking*and I didn't hear it.  I pulled the service panel off and verified that everything was plugged in and that there was nothing suspect about any of the lines...everything appeared fine.  The fridge runs beautifully on 12V or AC power (gets nice and cold) but for some reason the propane is still an issue.  Heat, stove & hot water all work fine. Confused
bhamster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 6:07pm
I don't think it retries once the error light comes on. At that point I think it's given up. You'll need to switch it to propane and then go outside right away to listen. If you still don't hear the clicking then it could be the igniter or the electronics. My parents had an RV fridge where the spark gap was too big, and all they had to do was bend it back into shape.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 6:24pm
Try it with propane after shutting if off completely like bhamster suggested.  Mine was stubborn and all I had to do was to power it down and try it again.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 9:46am
Will do fellas.  I appreciate the suggestions and patience with this new R-podder  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>