R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWheel bearings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel bearings
    Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 10:24pm
Howdy campers,
    I'm curious how often you are repacking your wheel bearings.  How many miles or years?  I've only got one season on my 177 so my plan is to wait until next year.
    Does anyone know if there are any tricks or special tools required on our pods?  I've done it on my old volkswagen bus and it's a pretty simple job.

Sign me 'anxiously waiting for spring'.
    Thanks in advance!

Rob
2012 HRE 177
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 8:18am
I do my wheel bearings every spring.  Its a simple job and no special tools are required, although I find that a bearing packer makes it easier.  You'll need replacement seals as its almost impossible to get the old ones out without destroying them.

As far as replacement cycle, with trailer bearings, in normal use its more an issue with how long the trailer sits idle (and the grease slowly migrates out of the bearings, leaving them dry for the first few miles of the next trip) than how many miles the trailer has travelled.  That said, if you travel 20,000 miles in three months, they should probably be looked at.

Here's a video from YouTube (link) - I've found the etrailer videos to be closest to how I do maintenance.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 6:58pm
SmileOutbound: I store my Pod in a closed machine shed and use jack stands to hold the tires off the cement floor.  About once a month, I give both tires a few reverse spins.  Will that help keep the grease spread on the bearings?
TIDALWAVE
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 7:21pm
Question for ya'll ... we just got our Pod in October last year and have taken it out 5 times, all very local to where we live (furthest away was 29 miles).  Do you think we need to repack the bearings this spring, or would they be okay until next year?
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 7:29pm
I've often seen "every 5000 miles" as a general rule of thumb (8046.72 kilometers for Outbound).  I got my pod in August of 2010 and have put about 3500 miles on it.  I recently had the bearings repacked but only because we will be putting over 5000 on it this summer. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 8:03pm
I did mine after our first year of owning our Pod, just so I could learn to do them and be confident with it.

I now plan to do ours every 2 seasons now.  It is a very easy job to do, a bit messy is about the only complaint with it! 
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by TIDALWAVE

SmileOutbound: I store my Pod in a closed machine shed and use jack stands to hold the tires off the cement floor.  About once a month, I give both tires a few reverse spins.  Will that help keep the grease spread on the bearings?

The friction from rotating, along with the motion softens up the grease and coats the bearings.  A few spins isn't really going to do much for the bearings.

That said, if you're putting 4023.36 km/yr (half of 8046.72 Tongue) or so on your trailer, packing your bearings every other year should be fine.  Make sure to squeeze some grease into the hub nipple in the spring of the no-repack year.
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 10:01am
Can someone give me a quick list of steps of how to access the full bearings for greasing? Take off wheel lug nuts, pull off brake hub, pop seals??? Any "watch out for".  Where do I get grease seals? Trailer store / auto store?

I currently just pop the dust cover and use the grease nipple and pump grease until it comes out the side.  Is this sufficient or should I do a full bearing pack? Opinions accepted LOL

Thanks.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Bill-GA

Can someone give me a quick list of steps of how to access the full bearings for greasing?

Yikes.  Its been a year since I last did it, so my memory is a bit rusty:
  • Raise trailer/slightly loosen lug nuts
  • Put trailer on jackstands
  • Remove lug nuts
  • Remove tire
  • Pop off dust cap
  • Remove cotter pin Bend down castle nut retainer
  • Unscrew castle nut
  • Carefully remove/wiggle off brake drum cover - be careful with the outside (closest to you) bearing as it'll fall on the pavement if you ignore it
  • Using a punch (or a small, flat screwdriver), deform the bearing seal enough to remove it.  Be careful not to scratch the hub or damage the inner bearing

Where do I get grease seals? Trailer store / auto store?

Well, I suggest that Canadians go to Princess Auto.  Canadian Tire may carry them - but its kinda doubtful.  I'll let the Americans on here suggest their favourite shop.  An RV dealer should also carry them, and I've definitely seen them in Camping World in Syracuse.

You're looking for seals for a 3500lb axle.

Is this sufficient or should I do a full bearing pack?

Nope.  A squirt of grease doesn't cut it.  You've got to get the bearings out, soak them in kerosene, clean up the spindle and the races (brake cleaner works well), pack grease into the bearing and lather everything else in grease.  Make sure to inspect the bearing for physical damage and for signs of overheating (significant discolouring).

Check out this step-by-step from etrailer (link) - they describe the process fairly well and there are pictures.

Personally, it takes me about 2 1/2 hours total to grease the bearings and adjust the brakes (including pulling all the tools out and putting them away afterward).

Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 9:27pm
Outbound, thanks for the info and the link. This s really a GREAT bearing 101 class!

Unfortunately, now I thinking, since I got everything open ....

-check brakes?
-replace if needed .. Parts from camper world...?
-adjust brakes ??? Is this just a star wheel adjustment (like the old days)? Any good links?

I think most of you guys are like me .....

-replace the missing shingle on the house ...10 min job
-maybe replace whole side ... What the hell do whole house roof!
-wait a minute ... Some roof sheeting needs replacing ...
-ops ... Two roof rafters need to be sistered ..
-are those soffits and facia soft? Those gutters are getting old ....

10 min job has now become 2 weeks !!! Heaven help me!
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>