R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Charging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Charging
    Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 12:54pm
Well, we bought a Champion generator to recharge the batteries while boondocking. My question is, what is the best way to charge the batteries. Should I use my car battery charger, or should I just plug the POD directly into the generator and use the internal charger?
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 1:38pm
With a single battery I would plug in the Pod.  I am not sure about dual batteries.  Doug?
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 8:30pm

The charger built into the converter in the pod is a good-quality 3-stage charger.  I would use that.  

Note that some generators come with a 12 volt charger built-in, but they are usually low-amperage and not well regulated.  Fine for an emergency, like a dead starting battery on the TV in the middle of nowhere, but normally use a good 3-stage charger.  You'll get a faster charge (more amps) and in a way that is better for the battery (the 3-stage part). 

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
EasyriderSLC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 5:03pm
I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has a plug in the back seat for charging electronic and such.  Do you think this could be used to plug into the trailer to charge the batteries?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by EasyriderSLC

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has a plug in the back seat for charging electronic and such.  Do you think this could be used to plug into the trailer to charge the batteries?

You didn't say whether the plug is 12 volt or 120 volt. Some newer vehicles are coming equipped with120 volt AC inverters. The 12 volt sockets are usually limited to 15 Amps or less. This would charge the trailer batteries, but not as effectively as the Bergman 7 wire trailer-to-vehicle connection which is probably 10 gauge wire and capable of 20-30 Amps.

If the plug is 120 volts you could use the Pod's built in charger with cable adapters or an external battery charger. However, you will still be limited to 100-200 watts which would translate to less than 15 Amps at 12V, allowing for conversion losses. The most convenient charging method is the 7 wire (Bergman) connector plugged into the TV. The most effective method, using the vehicle, is a set of heavy jumper cables between TV and trailer battery. Of course this means you are not driving on the road.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 6:35am
Use the generator.  Just be somewhat aware of your surroundings.  If you're alone, not a problem, however if you're close to others, they probably won't take real well to the idea of hearing a genny.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
renosteve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:33pm
Thanks for the info folks. If we use the built-in RPOD charger about how long does it take to charge my dual batteries if we start at 50% remaining charge? Also, I'm thinking about putting a simple four-sided folding plywood box about 3 feet high around the generator for noise reduction. Will this reduce the noise effectively?
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 1:07pm
You will need to provide air movement in and out of the box to keep the gen set cool.  That will reduce the amount that a box will reduce the sound.

I plan on using my generator sparingly during the day when the campground is fairly empty.  At night normally it is cool enough so that the air is not needed, and after 10 at quiet time you can't run the generator even in a box.  If you don't get into quiet time no one can complain.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by renosteve

If we use the built-in RPOD charger about how long does it take to charge my dual batteries if we start at 50% remaining charge?

To fully charge, 12-16 hours.  But, the thing is, the charging curve is exponential and it is more 'difficult' (and time consuming) to add amps to a battery the more fully charged it is.  While dry campiing, you're not looking to fully charge your batteries - only to bulk charge them, which will bring them to 80% or so.  To bulk change your batteries - replacing around 70 amps - will take about two hours, maybe 2 1/2 with r-pod's WFCO converter.

Personally, while dry camping, I usually run the genny every day for an hour in the mid-afternoon while most of my neighbours are out and about.  In the spring/autumn, when the furnace is in use, I'll stretch that to an hour and a half.

I'm thinking about putting a simple four-sided folding plywood box about 3 feet high around the generator for noise reduction. Will this reduce the noise effectively?

Some 3/4" Styrofoam would likely be better.  But, you should really consider adding a fan to your box to keep the air moving.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by renosteve

I'm thinking about putting a simple four-sided folding plywood box about 3 feet high around the generator for noise reduction. Will this reduce the noise effectively?

The manual for my little 2400w generator says to give it a meter of space all around or it may overheat.  I suspect a meter might be a bit much, but an internal combustion engine sucks a lot of air and making it breath its own exhaust isn't good.  Just allowing for an exchange of air isn't enough either.  A box is going to enclose and retain a lot of the radiant heat the engine produces and reflect it back in. 

A quiet (read probably more expensive) generator is a better idea if noise is a concern.  Still, whether it's 50db or 80db, you are still going to be restricted to quiet hours, or sometimes even more restricted generator hours.

All that said, if I were your neighbor in a campground I'd probably appreciate it if your generator was in a box.  If you decide to go that route, watch the air flow and the heat.

TT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>