R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Charging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Charging
    Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 7:13am
I do have the little Honda 2000i generator.  It is super quiet.  But we do like the National Park campgrounds where there are no gen hours. Our neice is a park ranger in the Tetons... 

Our rig is pretty new and as soon as I figure out how to get the right bulb we plan to change all lights for LED bulbs. 

We are from Louisiana (AKA, flat, hot, humid).  On one camping trip to the Tetons in July we were surprised how we were pulling for covers at night. So, AC is not a problem.  Just lights.  Our little gen has 12v battery charging output as well as the 120v AC...   Don't think one will pull the AC but have not tried.  We do have the companion set too, but that is a lot to carry.

These things are super quiet though.   Just a purrrrrrr.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 1:13pm

Originally posted by renosteve

...I'm thinking about putting a simple four-sided folding plywood box about 3 feet high around the generator for noise reduction. Will this reduce the noise effectively?

I'm planning on doing something like that very soon where I'll be mounting my genset on the front of my truck.  I've been holding off on mentioning that until I get it built, but basically it will open on both ends for ventillation, open on the top and front to gas it up and start it, but completely close up while going down the road.  I have all of my parts and just need to build it.  My goal isn't noise reduction but weather protection on the road and in-camp.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
renosteve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 2:51pm
Thanks again everyone. I now plan to run the generator in the faternoon for 1-2 hours to recharge to 70-80%. I plan to buil a 3-sided screen to shield noise from neighbors and still let the generator breath.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 8:28pm

Lead-acid batteries accept a faster charge the more discharged they are, so in general you'll do better (as in, use less fuel) by doing 1-2 hours every other day.  Keep an eye on the resting voltage (no charge or load of any kind for 3 hours) to see just how discharged they are.  Look at the battery voltage chart on this page:

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12