R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsuv tow vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: suv tow vehicle
    Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 2:59pm
I recently purchased a R-Pod and am shopping for a SUV to tow it. We live in SLC and will be towing in the mountains and doing freeway driving that includes long sustained climbs.  I would be interested to hear from owners about their experience with the mid size SUV (e.g. Toyota 4 runner, Explorer, Acadia, etc.) with wind (headwinds, and cross winds) and the adequacy of their power. Please specify your vehicle and engine.

Thanks,
Roger
rambling retirees
bc matell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 5:31pm
We tow the 177 pod with a 2012 toyota tacoma 4 door V6 (236 hp) factory hitch. we went from Vancouver Island to Saskatoon about 1700 miles. Mountain elevation 7000 ft, we had no problem going up or down the mountains. I was a little the one that was a little wary,LOL
TV 2012 Toyota Tacoma 6 cyl
Misha the Lab
Loving life and living it!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 5:41pm
Welcome.  Most here have found that vehicles with 3500 pound tow ratings are underpowered with the conditions you describe.  Back roads at slower speeds is ok, its just that the pod has a lot of drag once you get above 55 mph.  I had a 2003 Toyota Sienna with about 215 horsepower.  Now I have a 2010 Chevy Suburban with 320.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 8:54pm
Welcome to the Forum, I tow with an 08 Chevy Trailblazer. it has the 4.2 in line DOHC six cylinder 290 Horse. It is rated for 7000 lbs towing, and pulls the pod easly. As Doug (Techntrek) stated correctly when you hit 55 mph its like pulling a parachute. I get 11.5 to 13 mph if I keep it below 60 mph. I can pull it 80 or better but I cant afford the gas. The longer the wheel base the better period, regardless of make. where are you towing ? short term and long term. If your planning on local under 100 miles and not real hilly terrain you will be ok with the smaller trucks/suv/cross over, heck a Dodge Caravan can pull a pod. If you are thinking of cross country, mountains, elevations above 5000 feet you need some cubic inches and cubic money.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
RPodWeGo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 11:47pm
Hi Roger & welcome to the forum. I too live in SLC and take the Pod throughout the state.  I'm not technical as many on this forum so I'll tell you what I have and my experiences.  I pull with a Mitshubishi Montero 3.5L. It's a V6. Basically it does ok though on several long sustained climbs I wish I had a stronger vehicle though truth be known I enjoy driving fast so if I could pull it at 65 mph uphill I probably would, though we get there never less. This year I installed a transmission cooler on the Mits so that should help keep the tranny cooler. 

Happy Podding, I'll be looking for you in the outback.
RPodWeGo
RPod 177
04 v8 Toyota 4Runner
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 6:29am
I towed mine with a 6-cyl Toyota Tacoma as well and many times I wished I had more power.  If you must have an SUV, I'd make sure you go with one of the more powerful ones, such as a big Tahoo, Suburban, etc.

My Taco is rated for 6500-lbs tow capacity and like I said, I still felt under-powered at times.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 9:41am
We used to tow our 182G with a Montero V6, and it was always pushed to the limit and underpowered. We traded it in for an F-150 with a V8 5.4L and now towing is no longer a worry and a hassle. It was definitely worth the extra peace of mind to have more power on those long grades going over passes. Just my experience.
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 10:33am
We seem to pull just fine.. we have the 2 valve 5.4 in the Expedition, and the 6.2 in the Excursion.

The newer 5.4 has 3 valve heads, and it makes more HP AND gets better mpg.. (when not towing)

Towing mileage works like this..

It takes "x" horsepower to move the pod through the air at "x" speed.

Internal combustion engines are air pumps. It takes "x" amount of air pumped through the engine to reach the needed (x) horsepower to move the pod along at "x" speed.

No matter if you have a 3.5 v6 or a 6.2 v10, you still have to make that power level. There is some difference for overall weight, and some tow vehicles are a little more aerodynamic than others.. but it works out that no matter what you tow with engine wise, as long as somewhere in it's power band it can  make that needed "x" horsepower, it can pull the pod.

Now, most are not comfortable with an engine that needs to turn 3500-4500 rpm to do it. But that is why almost everybody towing with a v6/v8/v10 gets *about* the same mileage. They are all pumping the same amount of "air".

A larger tow vehicle does have more weight and wheelbase to  help  keep things stable, and help keep the tail from wagging the dog, so to speak.
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 4:04pm
Roger:

We use a Ford Ranger V6 4.0 liter, 4WD.  Stock it was 207 HP.  We put a chip in it to boost it up to 267.  It towed fine before but then we wanted some more boost on the hills/mountains.

Whatever you get, be sure to use a brake controller and a weight transfer hitch.

We also use a stabilizer as we live near the Columbia River gorge and can get some unexpected and fierce winds here.  Be prepared.

BTW, there are many great formulas for selecting tow vehicles.  One, add 1000 lbs. to your trailer as that is about what you will put in it.

Subtract the payload in your actual tow vehicle from the tow  vehicle GVWR.  Then, if your selection is too close to capacity, get something with more towing capability.

Our Ranger rates at 5600 towing capability and 880 lbs payload.  Subtract 880, now we're at 4720 towing.  The 171 is 2000 lbs.  Subtract that.  2720.  Now subtract the 1000 lbs.  1720.  We're within the range and OK but then we do take more stuff sometimes.  We figure that we end up with about 800 to 1000 near limit sometimes.

Best to overdo it with the tow vehicle.

Another thought:  Use non-ethanol gas when you expect to tow up hills.  It's has more power per gallon than the crummy corn fuel they sell us now.

My thoughts are that when we search for a towing trailer, we just look at the weight and think that is it.  Easy to make that decision.  Then, knowledge and experience kick in and you have to go backwards and re-think stuff.  You're wise to ask this question first.

Good luck with your choice and smooth roads to you!

Burt

David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 6:33pm
My thoughts are you need at least 250 hp, and you can not always go by the manufactures tow capacity. We had a 2010 Jeep Liberty with the 3.7, 210 hp. its tow capacity was 5,000 lbs. That may of been fine with a boat with little wind drag but with the Rpod it was under powered. As it has been mentioned the length of the wheel base makes a difference and the tow vehicles weight. Our new Ram 1500 is working great for us, it has the 4.7 engine and 3.92 differential. Its tow capacity is about 7,500 lbs. We don't need to think about how much we have loaded in the Rpod, other than our mpg which has been so far about 12.5. Planning a trip to Tennessee now that it has more mileage on it about 5,000 I will get a better idea of how the mpg will be. Will be about a 2,000 mile trip, so far we have only traveled about 150 miles.   David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>