R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInterior Dimensions 177 or 178 owners - Event Date: 27 Mar 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Interior Dimensions 177 or 178 owners
    Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 10:21pm
 We are in the process of purchasing our 'escape pod'.  I have seen (several times) the 178, but failed to measure the interior dimensions of the floor space (a.k.a. teen sleeping space).  If anyone who has a 177 or 178 (similar enough for my purposes) has the dimensions of the floor area between the bed and dinette (length) and bath and slider (width, with slider out), I'll be able to plan ahead for the first adventure this summer!  I have a few options as to what the teen will be sleeping on, but it depends on the dimensions.  We will be picking the escape pod up in early June.  Thanks to all ahead of time!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 1:13pm
Welcome.  I have a 171 so I can't answer your question, but many others here will very shortly.  I did want to mention something which may be an option for you instead of forcing someone to sleep on the floor - where they will be in the way of midnight bathroom visits.  Just last weekend I built a temporary bunk bed above my dinette.  Only took part of a sheet of plywood, two 2x4s and a 2x3.  Details here:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3344&title=creating-bunk-beds-in-a-171

Since it isn't permanently built in, it can be removed when the kids aren't camping with us in the future.  I built mine a little too big to be able to remove quickly - like if we want to eat at the table -  but it won't be too hard to shave off an inch or two in the future.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 5:07pm
Will the weather be temperate ?  (i.e.-  reasonable sleeping temp without a/c or heat, given appropriate
sleeping bags).

Will your camp sites be safe ?

Are the teens responsible ?

Did you buy the R-Dome ?

If you can answer "yes" to all the above, a couple of camp cots in the R-Dome solve a bunch of issues !

We have observed many young families with the parents enjoying the comforts of the RV while their
young and durable offspring "rough it" in a tent or canopy.  Only you can assess the feasibility of this
option, but I thought I'd mention it.....

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 10:17pm
Thank you for the ideas!  An r-dome comes with the deal, but I'm not sure if all campgrounds will be welcoming - seems from some that there is an issue with that.  But, we certainly will bring our cots and make use of the space when possible.  Of course, much of our camping will ultimately be in bear country, when not at the coast.  Even so, the teen will be grown all too soon, which leave two little ones to share the dinette bed.  I just wasn't sure if the cot would fit in the space or if the older boy will continue to sleep on his inflatable mattress.  Should be a fun adventure this summer - the pod is bigger than our tent and Mommy will be happy to never go showerless!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 12:34pm
I have never heard of a campground having a problem with the R-Dome.

In fact, last time out a couple weeks ago, me and the old dog had a little space heater out there in the dome down to freezing, I was in a sleeping bag on a cot, he was just doing the dog thing.. no problems. (He is no longer capable of getting into the camper..)

To answer your question, yes, there would be room to sleep a teenager on the floor between the bathroom and the kitchen.. but.. you will now have a teenager sleeping between the bathroom and kitchen... The space measures 34" x 79". That's clear floor area.... no feet under bunks etc.

We slept with 100lb and 65lb golden retrievers in that spot/area.. they/we worked it out.. but some tails did get stepped on.
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 2:10pm
Thank you!!!  Yes, he may get stepped on, but at least he'll have an option of not sleeping on the too short dinette with his little brother:)  The space will be adequate for his air mattress and sleeping bag.  Might even be just big enough for the fold-out mattress I saw at Costco.

No matter what, it will be more comfortable for him that is spot in the tent:)
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
 Post Reply Post Reply