R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedjeep rubicon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: jeep rubicon
    Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 8:40am
Has anyone pulled their rpod with a jeep wrangler? I have the rubicon model so I'm not worried about the drive train. I am concerned that the short wheelbase might make it a little twitchy.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 1:08pm
Welcome!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
loampey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 1:30pm
thanks, great site
Capt. Irk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 2:24pm
I have a Liberty, rated @ 5000lbs.  My understanding is that the Wranglers are limited to 3500lbs because of their shorter wheel base. 
2013 176HRE / 2017 Ram 1500
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 2:26pm
OuchI previously owned both a Jeep Wrangler Renegade and a Jeep Liberty.  They both had short wheelbases similar to the Rubicon.  I towed small travel trailers behind both.  The Wrangler's short wheelbase  responded like a rubber ball on older concrete highways (they sometimes develop a 'roller-coaster' type of profile).  I had to reduce my speed drastically to keep the rig from bouncing completely off the road.  The Liberty had plenty of pulling power but that rig also bounced unacceptably.  I ended up installing a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) on both vehicles.  It decreased the bouncing noticeably but it still was there.  I don''t think that you can get a 'smooth' tow using a short wheel base tow vehicle.
I traded in my Liberty for a Chevy Pickup...I still use a WDH (belt-and-suspenders, now).  I couldn't believe how smooth the towing was...even on roads which were really bad to use when I towed over them with the Liberty.  I would never go back to a short wheel base...the difference between white knuckles and relaxing.
TIDALWAVE
dhshall View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 9:38pm
I pull my 173T with a 2012 Wrangler 6 speed 4 door with no problems.
DHShall
4 Jeeps and an LX
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 4:00am
Look in the owners manual for the amount of weight you can tow.  Pulling a camper is a lot more than just pulling it.  A garden tractor could pull it.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
dhshall View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 8:41am
The previously mentioned 4 door Wrangler was ordered specifically for the part.  At 285 horses with the trailer package which supplies electronic sway control and additional ordered lowered gear ratio that now is part of a package I believe is called "max tow package", this vehicle has no problem towing this trailer loaded.  I get 16-17 MPG pulling the trailer on trips from my location to the Delaware shore when kept at or below 60. (3 hour run - no mountain climbing).  Again this is planned usage.  If research is done, one may find that the cooling system is what keeps this vehicle limited to 3500 pounds. Since I also drive this vehicle for work during colder monthes, the 21-23 MPG I get (higher than advertised on mine) is nice.  As with all vehicles, you need to know how they can be used - like your Ford Tractor.  This could go on and on but I am a Jeep personl always will be. 
DHShall
4 Jeeps and an LX
unlblkrubi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 12:59pm
I towed my 171 from Alabama to Utah, Colorado, Arizona and back in 2011 with our 2011 JKU Rubicon. Averaged around 10 MPG. Not enough power with that engine but probably better with the new 3.6. Only thing I did to the Jeep was put a 7 pin plug and brake controller.   A Jeep person here also, I have a LJ rubi on 35"s and other bling if you know what I mean.
loampey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 8:22am
I'm a jeep guy for sure. Never had one till a few years ago. now I can't see myself without one. There are a few upgrades I can do to it to get a little more umph out of it. That short wheelbase is what makes it so great in my opinion but could be a nightmare towing a trailer. Hoping with anti sway and good brake controller I can keep things inline. Thanks for the responses guys. Loampey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>