Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed40 pound propane tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 40 pound propane tank
    Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 1:24pm
  We do a lot of dry camping even in cold weather so I'm wondering about putting a 40# bottle on the tongue.  The diameter is the same as a 20# bottle.  I'd have to come up with another strap, and I'm not sure the hose for the 20# bottle reach the top of a 40# bottle.  Anyway, all those issues aside, will I be able to tell any difference in road handling with an extra 20# on the tongue?  Are there any other safety issues worthy of consideration?

TT 
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 2:18pm
As an engineer I would be leary of a single 40# tank from a mechanical stability standpoint. Securing that tall bottle in the dynamic towing environment might  be a problem. A preferable solution would be two 20# bottles, side by side, as is commonly done on travel trailers. Two 30# bottles would probably be possible if you need that much LP. This approach has several advantages in addition to mechanical: redundancy, refill convenience, automatic empty switchover.The extra weight on the tongue will not be an issue, particularly with a weight distribution hitch . And there really is room on the tongue for two LP tanks, two batteries, the spare tire, a WDH connection, and a 15 gallon "blue tank" sewage carrier. I know because that's the way I have my RP-172 set up.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

As an engineer I would be leary of a single 40# tank from a mechanical stability standpoint. Securing that tall bottle in the dynamic towing environment might  be a problem. A preferable solution would be two 20# bottles, side by side, as is commonly done on travel trailers. Two 30# bottles would probably be possible if you need that much LP. This approach has several advantages in addition to mechanical: redundancy, refill convenience, automatic empty switchover.The extra weight on the tongue will not be an issue, particularly with a weight distribution hitch .

In terms of effort, two 20s would probably be about the same amount of trouble as stabilizing one 40 and getting a longer hose.  I'd thought about the redundancy and refill issues and the inertia of motion problem.  I might have a way around that, but in our general part of the world at least, it's also often easier to swap tanks than refill them.  I know of one place that swaps 40s but the places that swap 20s are ubiquitous. 

Thanks for the thoughts,

TT
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 10:28pm
Lots of large TT's have dual 40's.. We are running a single 30 right now, but I will be upgrading to dual 20's or 30's with auto switchover this spring.

I have to tell you though.. if you are just cooking, (when boondocking) we only heat water as needed, and running the fridge, a 30 lasts a L O N G time. Dual batteries (and a charging solution) are more important than more propane...
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 3:43am
We don't hesitate, much, to camp when it's 14 degrees at night with no hookup.  You can go through some propane in a week under those circumstances.

How does an auto switchover work?  Specifically, when one bottle is empty and the other is in use, can you disconnect the empty bottle and take it for a refill?  Do you even know when one bottle is empty?  I guess it's easy enough to tell which bottle is in use if you pay attention to the condensation or frost on the bottle.

I've never really cared too much for an auto switchover, but I suppose it would be nice as long as you don't have to wait for both bottles to empty before filling them.

TT
gnawbone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 6:55am
The auto switchover seems to work well for me. I've never had a problem with them. One thing I did, which was an expensive upgrade, was to buy 2 plastic 20# cylinders. They are a lot lighter than the steel and also allow you to see the liquid remaining. http://www.litecylinder.com/Portals/litecylinder/Products/specs === about 13# empty, I think.
2017 Toyota Sienna
2016 R-180   "the Wee Pod"
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:29am
Yes the auto switchover has a little pointer that shows which tank is empty. You switch that one out, while the other is "live".  You can even get them with a "remote" mounted indicator, you place in the coach, so you don't have to "go outside" to check it... LOL.

BTW, we went with the 30lber because we have three for the 'stream, and it went on with no modifcation needed at all.

We have some friends that have the fiberglass bottles.. neato they are.... and not cheap. If we get the CampLite as I suspect we are going to, I may put them on it.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 1:09pm
Two 20s are easier to secure than a single 40 because they have twice the base area and a lower center of gravity. Your point of availability of swapping is good. Also, with the auto switchover, one tank gets completely depleted before the switchover, thus you don't have to give up some usable LP when you swap. $$$$
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
thadd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 1:56pm
I thought about going with a clear tank since we travel with our baby and running out of propane isn't just an inconvenience. What we found instead was that Worthington makes 20# tanks with a built-in float gauge now. They sell them at Costco for less than $50. Now we can tell at a glance what the levels are and just top off when low.

TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 2:04pm
I went with 2-20lb tanks.  That way, you can take one in for a fill while the other one is used.
I think a 'portable' 40lb would be really bulky to dismount and then pick up and reinstall when full.  Using a 'fixed' 40lb would mean that when your 40lb tank is empty, you have to haul the Pod in too. 
I had an RV with a fixed 60lb tank...a real pain to have to break camp to drive to a fill station when the tank went empty.

TIDALWAVE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>