Topic Closed40 pound propane tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 40 pound propane tank
    Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:10pm
A quick tip for finding out your actual LP level (if you don't have a float gauge) in under 30 seconds.  Get a cup of hot water and slowly pour it down the side of the tank from the shoulder.  Wait a few seconds and then run the back of your finger down the side.  The steel will still be hot where there is no fluid, but will be cool below the fill level.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
thadd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by techntrek

A quick tip for finding out your actual LP level (if you don't have a float gauge) in under 30 seconds.  Get a cup of hot water and slowly pour it down the side of the tank from the shoulder.  Wait a few seconds and then run the back of your finger down the side.  The steel will still be hot where there is no fluid, but will be cool below the fill level.

I tried that several times but could never really get it to work. The float gauge approach is much easier too :).
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:59pm
Odd, I've never had a problem finding the exact level that way.  The liquid propane acts as a heat sink.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 8:03am
Originally posted by techntrek

Odd, I've never had a problem finding the exact level that way.  The liquid propane acts as a heat sink.

If the tank hasn't been in use everything will settle down to the ambient temperature, unless the ambient temperature has changed significantly very recently.  What's really going to cause the parts of the tank with and without propane to be different temperatures is the evaporation of the liquid propane when the tank is in use.  Depending on the humidity, even without pouring water on the tank you'll often see dew or even frost on the tank that indicates the LP level when the tank is in near-constant use.

Check the tank in the morning when the heat has been on and the water trick should work great.

TT
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 6:00pm
There is liquid below and vapor above when a LP tank is at rest or while in use.  Where there is vapor the steel of the tank retains the heat, where there is liquid it acts as a heat sink and pulls the steel back to ambient temperature which is why it feels cool.  I've done this test in all types of conditions and the only time it doesn't work is when a tank has been sitting in the hot sun in the middle of summer.  Covering it for a little while solves that problem.
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 7:47pm
IMHO...two 20’s and an auto-switch is the way to go vs. one 40.

Good luck!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 8:35pm
  Sorry, I didn't read your message carefully enough.  I was thinking of the cooling caused by the evaporation of the liquid propane (or most any liquid quickly converting to gas).  When the tank is in use you can do the water thing and the upper (gas) part of the bottle can cause the water to freeze, or you can easily feel that the upper portion of the bottle is cooler than the liquid (lower) part.  Your method should work too, but it might be more subtle.

Anyway, I've never really worried about the propane level in portable or disposable bottles.  I've never had an auto switchover set up, so when one bottle hits the bottom I just disconnect it and hook up another one.  It's always seemed reasonable to me to carry a spare.

TT
SteveC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 9:43am

The lite weight LP tanks caught my interest until I found the company is out of business. For those considering the lite LP tanks, lite cylinder has gone out of business after their LP tanks were deemed unsafe and a force recall placed on them.  For current owners it is stated you should immediately discontinue using them.  Here is a link to the recall notice. 

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site/PHMSA/menuitem.ebdc7a8a7e39f2e55cf2031050248a0c/?vgnextoid=7c7384ae997be310VgnVCM100000d2c97898RCRD&vgnextchannel=d248724dd7d6c010VgnVCM10000080e8a8c0RCRD&vgnextfmt=print
2014 R Pod 178
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

We don't hesitate, much, to camp when it's 14 degrees at night with no hookup.  You can go through some propane in a week under those circumstances.

How does an auto switchover work?  Specifically, when one bottle is empty and the other is in use, can you disconnect the empty bottle and take it for a refill?  Do you even know when one bottle is empty?  I guess it's easy enough to tell which bottle is in use if you pay attention to the condensation or frost on the bottle.

I've never really cared too much for an auto switchover, but I suppose it would be nice as long as you don't have to wait for both bottles to empty before filling them.

TT

Holy cow Tars where do you live to camp in 14 degree temps, I'm shure not in Florida 
             Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 1:12pm
I had dual 30# tanks on my Dutchman Zoom which is not much larger than a pod.  For me these were overkill in terms of capacity.  One good thing about 30's is that a hard shell cover is available for them almost anywhere.  (I don't know if similar covers are available for 40's).  I still like the dual 20# setups because you can go almost anywhere and exchange them for full tanks.  I don't feel like lugging 30 or 40 pound tanks around. 
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>