R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedreal size of bunks in 176

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: real size of bunks in 176
    Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:24am
We are looking at getting an RPOD sometime this year.  We have 2 kids, ages 4 and 10, who really want the bunk beds.  We would prefer to get an RPOD with a slide out, but have noticed that the bunks in these have smaller dimensions listed than the 172.  I took a tape measure with me and went to look at a 182G that is at a dealer near us.  The pamphlet says they are 38x74, but they only measure 30" with a tape measure.

Can anyone tell me the real measurements of the bunks in a 176?  The pamphlet says 31".  The length isn't an issue - my husband is 5'4", I am 4'9", and our kids are short as well!

Thanks!
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 11:53am
Welcome, as far as I know the 172 is the only pod with over sized bunks 42"x74" that is one of the reasens we picked the 172, all the other bunks are 31"x74" to narrow. It would have been nice if the 172 had a slide out, but that is just another thing that can break down, and you add another 250 pounds. The extra few sqaure feet dont realy matter to us , we spend our days in the outdoors, also with the r-dome you add another room.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Capt. Irk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 2:33pm
Went out and measured mine...
Wall to wall, the length is 74"
The bottom bunk is 32" wide, the top is 30" wide (due to the wall curvature)
2013 176HRE / 2017 Ram 1500
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 3:09pm
I have a 176T and have gone camping with my grandsons (6 & 10) and they love sleeping in the bunks - about 31" wide. My wife and I (I'm 6' at 250, wife is 5'10") sleep on the short queen tent side and we think one of the best features of our PRod is the slide out. That extra slide area give it a roomy feel which enhances our camping experience.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 3:09am
  We have a 176.  I'll take others' word on the size.  At almost 6 feet tall and 200 pounds, I'm comfortable in the top bunk.  It's a little tight I suppose, but it's not a problem for me at all.

TT
JACKPOD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 11:33am
We just did 9 nights in our 176 - just our second outing. We're used to a king bed so the dinette is a little tight for the two of us and the pooch. So Jack takes the dinette and I sleep in the lower bunk. Find that there's plenty of room for me - I'm about 5'6". I'm thinking the bunk might get a little warm at times so found a very small fan that I can hang from an over-the-door type hook from the top bunk and plug into the receptacle on the entertainment center. Works great. We also have a shower type rod across the bunks with a curtain to either block out the mess or light/privacy. I did find that the light in the bunk is not in the right place for reading. So found a portable stick-on led light that I've put on the wall behind my head that works well for reading. It's fun to figure out ways to make life really easy in our Jackpod and hope you'll have the same fun!
Pam and Jack
Abby the Bichon
RP 176 towed with 2013
Nissan Pathfinder
HappyCampers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 9:05am
we are awaiting delivery of out 176t. our family is similar to yours - 10 year old and 3 year old. 10 year old fits fine and will for years. For perspective, the bunks are almost exactly half the width of a queen size mattress, so they are by no means tiny.

It is also the same size as the folding cot he sleeps on when we visit my parents.

hope this helps!
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 10:16am
I have a 2011 RP-172; can anyone give me the weight limit for the top bunk ?  I have heard 3 different weights. Did not get an owners manual for some reason. Dealer told me 200 lbs. ?
GaRedneck81
USN Retired
RP-172
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 3:08pm
The bunk beds are rated for 200 pounds on the top, 300 pounds on the bottom.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 9:32pm
Techntrek, that's good to know I have not slept in the upper bunk but I got a folding bench from camping world where I can stand on the bench with my back to the upper bunk and slip right up there. I am about 175 so that should not be a strain on the upper bunk. I need to be at 160 or so but as age attacks me it gets harder. Donna and I have been using the dinette short queen with a double foam 3 inch mattress that is absoulutly comfortable. we use the bunks for day napping. Looking back I wish I would have got the 177, that way you don't have to change from dinette to bed. Its not a big deal, takes 5 minutes and if we get grand kids we will have 2 bunks for them.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>