R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLED Bulbs ad nauseam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED Bulbs ad nauseam
    Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 10:07pm
Fair warning - I'm an engineer, what's worse and electrical engineer who has developed LED lights.  I'm interested in getting to the bottom of this whole LED bulb thing.  What have you seen, and how long have they lasted?  
 First some background. One thing to remember about LED's is that they hate heat.  Most of them are destroyed if they spend anytime above about 120C.  They are also less efficient if they heat up.  The largest problem is that there is a conflict between a light fixture for an incandescent bulb, and a light fixture for an LED bulb.  For a regular bulb the fixture typically covers the bulb to prevent burns and breakage.  However a LED bulb needs airflow.  So the correct answer to changing to LED lights is to change the whole fixture to an LED fixture.  At that point the LED will get lots of airflow, or metal surface area to dissipate the heat.  Most people probably don't want to go that far.  I see lots of LED bulbs for the 921 socket, most of which are clearly just three (or multiple of) LEDS in series with a resistor to limit the current.  If they are mounted on a bare circuit board, they really have no way to dissipate the heat.  Therefore they either don't put out much light, they reduce the light as they heat, or they simply burn up when hot.  Now I have done just this in the past in under-cabinet lighting.  The LED's last for about 5000 hours rather than the rated 50K hours.   However these didn't have a plastic cover over them.  I expect that with a cover the 5K hours would be greatly reduced.  Maybe to 1K hours.  So here's the flip side - does that matter?  Maybe 1K hours is enough if you only spend a few weeks a year in your RV.  BTW that's with a bell curve, 1 hour to 100K hours is possible.
I'm really tempted to design a bulb for my camper, but I keep reminding myself that I lose money when I do things like that.  So I'm wondering what others have done, and what the results are.  
 So in that vain I selected an LED bulb for my camper, and I'll share what I've found and let me know what you have found.  Here is a link to the LED that I used:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202514337?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=led+bulb&storeId=10051&N=25ecodZ5yc1v&R=202514337#customer_reviews
It's about $11, but it has a ceramic housing that helps remove the heat from the LED, hopefully.  It's nice and bright, but a rather cool white color.  Word of warning about warm white LEDs, they tend to get cooler as they age as the yellow phosphorus used to make them more yellow decays, they also loose more light to that phosphorus.  So cool is more light.  What's not so good about these bulbs is that they are too long to fit in the double socket lights, unless you bend the bracket holding the bulb a bit.  They also don't hold in the socket very well, and I might end up adding a drop of epoxy to keep them in there.  They are running at 2.4W each, so quite a bit of light.  Here are some numbers.  With the regular bulbs, I was reading 54 lux of light at the cook top with two ceiling lights on.  With those four bulbs changed to these LED bulbs I was reading 65 lux.  I added a bit of Aluminum tape behind the bulbs and increased that to 68 lux.  I'm happy with that light.  It was a bit dark in there and this is much better and not to mention a savings on battery power.   They do get warm around the base as they run, so I suspect that the life of 25K isn't really going to happen.  Although 25K is already a derated number, so it sounds like Philips is being conservative.  Hopefully I'll get 5K out of them inside this plastic fixture.  

Here's some pictures of the bulbs installed:  Note it shows the bulbs without the lens, but I really did use the lens.  

dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 10:17pm
I run LED's in the shower, both front bunk areas and over the rear dinette. I left the incadesant bulbs over the stove and middle of the pod as I like the color of the light better for work area's. as far as how many hours they last I wont live long enough to get 1000 to 5000 hours of use out of any of them.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 7:22am
http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1330&KW=LED&PN=3&title=replacing-interior-lights-with-leds
The above is a link to what I purchased.  In that link is another link to when I first purchased them.  I originally thought I would replace all with LEDs but, my "priority areas" plan has worked well.  I really don't use the lights that much anyway.  I expect they will last "forever", given their use.

I've been pleased with them.  Though the light emitted isn't as "warm", I enjoy saving my amp/hours for other uses. 
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 9:47am
We just changed all our bulbs (except for the one fixture by the door) to LEDs.  So far, everything seems to be ok. The main benefit is that the lights don't burn as hot as the old incandescent bulbs and the people in the bunks are less likely to accidentally burn themselves :)

We still carry extra LEDs and a few of the old bulbs just in case....

The LEDs we're using were ordered off ebay for about $3@ after shipping. 
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 9:49am
50k hours.. LOL...

Lets see..

30-45 nights a year in the pod..

an hour or two of light each night... maybe an extra hour a day when cooking or rummaging around for a pair of sandals or something.. so 3 hours a day x 45 days..  135 "light hours a year.. divided into even your low estimate of 5k hours..

37+ years of camping... I think I am not going to get to rapped around the axle about not getting my full 25k, 50k or 100k.

I bought some "warm whites" from eBay for about $12 to do the whole camper a couple years ago. (24 leds on a flat panel.. other than the two sided tape they sent, that I replaced with 3m, they have been fine)

BUT>> I have several engineer friends, and totally understand how "you got there"... Wink 

Ask me about my 4 axis adjustable shooting bench, or self leveling target stands that one of them came up with...

Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 10:17am
Anthony:

More LED ad infinitum...more fair warning.  I'm a HAM and therefore a NERD.

Great research and background information on LED's.  I am used to working with engineers and realize how in depth you guys can go into detail.

If you combine your LED knowledge with our eyes and how they adapt and adjust to colors, you can find many other uses for them. For instance, the red color.  It is used in airplane cabins, ship bridges and many other military applications for night use combine with visibility to the horizon.  It is used also for interior lighting on ships.  It does not disturb ones sleep like white light does.

I'm an old NAVY guy and remembered how useful and purposeful the Red colors were used at night and at battle stations.

You can replace the PR2 bulb in a standard 2 cell flashlight without changing the resistance by soldering the Radio Shack Giant Red LED into  the metal frame for the PR2.  Just crush out the old glass PR2 and solder in the Giant Red LED paying attention to polarity.  It will also last you your lifetime.  Not bad for an old flashlight!  It will last you forever.

My other circuit splits a red LED and a white LED combo.  The frame I use for that is PVC tubing.  I also made us sets of LED flashlights for use inside the POD with RED and White combo use LED's so if one is up at night, the red one is used so as not to wake or disturb others too much.  The white is used for small spaces and storage.

I've made sets of these for family, sail boaters and friends who camp.  Many years later, they are still on the same battery.

My main reason for changing to LED bulbs in the POD was the reduction in amperage.  Thus the battery does not drain as much when using these lights.

My secondary reason was to rid the POD of the heat put out by the incandescent bulbs.  Check out your porch-light for instance if you still have the incandescent in it.  One could cook an egg on that baby!

So, I changed ALL of our lights out to LED's and the heat is literally gone from all the fixtures.  There is plenty of light, as much as before.  IF there is a concern regarding heat dissipation above 120 degrees, then just drill holes in the fixture for air ventilation.  The natural convection will bring in and let out heat.  Put some holes high and some low.

The main units I used were "corn" style with many LED's on them.  I bought them all from an overseas supplier, they came in about a week and their cost was less than 2 bulbs from the big box camping stores.  Additionally, I overbought so I have spares.

When I camped in a tent, I put a white LED inside of an upside down white plastic funnel and it became a chandelier hung from the post or supports.

LED's are versatile, useful and smart to use.

Another for our POD was an 18 foot LED string (Home Depot) stuffed inside an opaque vinegar jug (cleaned out).  Leaving the tail out allows one to use this as a lantern in your POD.  For use as a porch light when camping, I put it into a Homer Bucket and it lights the front area of our RDome beautifully.  Folks stop by sometimes and ask about that light.  It makes for nice dual purpose ligting.

There's lots more LED info on this site.  Search LED.

Keep it up! Thanks for your info.

Evaluate, Adapt, Overcome!

Burt

Anthony Valenzano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 10:21am
You seriously only use your lights for 3 hours/day?  That seems unbelievable.  Mine are pretty much on all day.  Especially on shore power.  So the way I calculate it, 30 days/year 12 hours/day = 360 hours per year- So I only expect to get about 3 seasons out of the bare PCB bulbs.  Granted some will last a lot longer.   My estimate is 5K with a ceramic heat sink.  I'd expect you to see about 1K hours with a bare PCB.   I'm guessing no one has had them in 1000 hours just yet.   Like I said - that may be just fine for most.  I guess I'm offended by the bad product designs of these things.  I'll be interested to see what trade Forest River makes.  If they just slap these bulbs in existing fixtures, or actually do it right and change the fixture to an LED fixture.  Then the bulbs will really last 25K - 50K and we'd never have to change them.  
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 10:29am
I agree with the heat of the incandescent bulbs, I'm fairly tall and they feel like they are burning my head as I stand under them.  Not to mention heat up the whole RV.  I'd say that's probably my biggest reason for changing them out.   Red color is an interesting idea, you can find most of the LED bulbs in different colors, it might be worthwhile to change one to red for use as at night.    
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Anthony Valenzano

You seriously only use your lights for 3 hours/day?  That seems unbelievable.  Mine are pretty much on all day.  Especially on shore power.  So the way I calculate it, 30 days/year 12 hours/day = 360 hours per year- So I only expect to get about 3 seasons out of the bare PCB bulbs.  Granted some will last a lot longer.   My estimate is 5K with a ceramic heat sink.  I'd expect you to see about 1K hours with a bare PCB.     

Actually, my wife just read that and she thinks I was a bit high on my estimate. She says maybe two hours, and even then, it's not all of them. She points out the only time all of them are on is just before going out to camp, during the pre tow checks.

We really aren't in the pod a lot during the day, and if we are, the ambient light is enough..

Last weekend we camped in Indiana. With some friends.

Saturday went like this..

Dogs get us up about 7:30 am.. already light out.. did turn on lights for a couple minutes while dressing... then had the light over the kitchen on for a few during breakfast prep after dog walks. Light in shower may or may not have been on for showers.. Outside goofing/walking dogs/hiking/shopping/sight seeing/wine tasting all day. Did dinner prep/cooking/eating outside... Sat by campfire with friends old and new sipping a bit of Kentucky's finest until about 10pm.. lights on for a few minutes while getting ready for bed.. lights out.

Rinse and repeat.

I was in the Army, on tanks, for 20 years. I have an almost pathological drive to reduce battery useage. The first mod of furpod was dual batteries, second was LED's..
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 11:29am
Yeah - I'd expect that you'll never burn up those bulbs like that.  We are just the opposite. Slam the lights on in the morning and turn them off before bed.  We don't do much boondocking, or I'd be sure to turn them off.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>