R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMods to our 171

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mods to our 171
    Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 10:42pm
Here are some of the mods we've done so far.  
We installed the risers, but I don't have a picture of that.

I'll be the first to admit that this is ugly, but it's functional.  I replaced the stock jack with one of those jacks that have the handle on top.  I removed the handle and used a Tap to thread the stud to 1/2", same as a car wheel lug I had laying around.  I put the lug on tight with some loc-tite and now I use the same 3/4" socket on a Ryobi 18V driver that I use for the stabilizers.  Works really well.  It's super fast to slam this on the truck.  No more hand cranking, and not much added expense (esp because I took the jack from another trailer I have).

Can't live without this.  It's a pain to walk in to wash hands or clean the grill.

I added this 12V outlet to plug in this small 100W inverter to power the strangely 120VAC TV/DVD combo.  I only use this when on Battery.

12V outlets - mostly for charging cell phones.

Kitchen - added a mirror from lowes, just to extend the space a bit and a paper towel holder.  I also put the same mirror on the door of the bathroom.

g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 9:53am
Love how the mirror visually extends the space
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 7:21pm

+1 on the mirror.

I added an outside shower, too, and your location was my 2nd choice due to wall space and hot/cold water availability in that compartments.  I ended up choosing the area behind the sink because I didn't want to be standing next to the water heater when it fired up because I was using hot water.  Still an issue with the area I chose because the heater exhaust is right there - but we rarely use it so its less of a problem.

You'll find that a 12 volt TV/DVD system is listed in the Wishlist section.  Smile  Why that specific appliance is 120 volts is beyond me, there is no reason for that (other than it was the cheapest bid on the RFQ at the factory).

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Anthony Valenzano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:07am
What's wrong with a little heat exhaust while showering?  People pay good money for that kind of thing.   I chose the spot I did, because it was easy to pull off the cable cover and poke around to find the 'studs', of course it's obvious that hot and cold water was right there as well. 
  As for the TV/DVD/Radio, I'm sure it does run on DC internally, it probably wouldn't be a big deal to pull the cover off of it and figure out how to run it on DC.  Might require a small DC/DC converter, but that could probably fit inside the case.   I also installed a 15" 12V DC over the queen bed. 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Z44QSI/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 7:23pm
The heat might be fine while showering, but the CO and CO2, not so much.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
SteveC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 8:38pm

Is there a DIY how-to on installing an outside shower with hot and cold on a Pod?  While I have not taken delivery of my 178 yet, three more days, an outside shower is high on my list of Mods.  I wish this was an option from the factory; it is so practical for these smaller units! We had one on our Coleman Pop Up and loved it! 

2014 R Pod 178
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 10:38am
Either here or over on the Nation someone did a thread about installing one. Pretty simple to do. On a 178 I would go into the slide, behind the sink. You cut the hole, tap into the existing water lines for the sink, instal/seal the box. Done.
yellowstonestu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 8:06pm
Anyone added an outside shower on a 173? Any advice as to location? Also, is the shower unit available at rv stores like Camping World?
Thanks!!
Yellowstonestu & Bela the Vizsla
2008 Toyota FJ
2015 RPod 179 (Pod #2)
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 8:50am
Originally posted by yellowstonestu

Anyone added an outside shower on a 173? Any advice as to location? Also, is the shower unit available at rv stores like Camping World?
Thanks!!

I have not done it yet but it is on my list. I think the only easy place I can see to put it is on the backside in the front. See orange square in picture below. This would put it in the far end of the front storage area and close to all of the water pipes. The only other place I can see to put it is outside the kitchen sink area and that puts it inside the rdome which is not good for me. 

The other option I thought of was to put quick disconnects on the low point drains behind the drivers side wheel (see below) and  rig a temporary shower head that I can rig while on site. This would allow me to put an access hatch on the front to create a pass through which I also want to do. 

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply