R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOld TV / New TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old TV / New TV
    Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:20am
I have the original TV that came with the Pod and at every new campground I have to scan for channels. This takes awhile and is very annoying. There are other features which I'm not sure what they do.

If I get a new small LED TV, is the scan and other features required ?   Or is this done automatically? (I.e. channel scans). I use the TV antenna on the Pod.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 3:24pm
Most televisions today will require channel scanning because they do what is termed "express tuning".
This allows them to skip blank frequencies between active channels.  Imagine if a specific campsite
got channels 3, 15 and 25.  would you want to push the channel up button twelve times to get from
3 to 15?  Then a bunch more to get to 25?

I'm not a big fan of the media cluster that came with our 177, and have replaced it with better
components, but the new television still requires channel scanning.
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 7:56pm

With digital television there is an additional reason for the required scan.  It allows the tv to decode and remap the physical frequencies and sub-channel data streams to the logical channels you actually see (3.1, 13.5, etc).  In other words, with the old analog system channel 2 broadcast on a specific range of frequencies - always.  Channel 3 was just above it, etc.  Every tv was hardwired to use those frequencies all the time.  Now with the digital system the channel numbers don't have a direct relationship to the frequencies used to broadcast them.  Channel 2.1 might actually be broadcast using a frequency which on the analog system was used for channel 67.  To confuse it more, channels have sub-channels which are just compressed data combined with the data for the main channel.  Then to confuse it more, a sub-channel coming from one broadcaster may actually be remapped to a different main channel.  So the local CBS station might own the rights to or lease out to the local CW affiliate, one of its subchannels.  The CBS station broadcasts the CW programs on channel 13.5 but that gets remapped to channel 20 so it appears that CW is broadcasting its own stuff when it isn't.  The scan allows the tv to figure all of this out. 

Clear as mud.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 8:29pm
Thanks for your quick input ...

So .... If I go to my local Walmart, will a digital TV have the needed scan capability?  Is this a given (very common) or do I need to read the manuals BEFORE I make the purchase?
Bill & Bev
Jdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 8:49pm
Out of curiosity.....we are still waiting for the arrival of our 178 but modifications are already on the Brain. First and foremost would be the sound system...a Jensen blue tooth for iPad/iPhone sounds perfect. 

http://rvdailyreport.com/News/ctl/ArticleView/mid/427/articleId/25389/Jensen-introduces-Bluetooth-wall-mounted-stereo.aspx

And am guessing the Tv thingy installed in ours will suck( it looks the size of an iPad).  So what is best for this? Do we really want a TV for stations or just a DVD player for Shaun of the Dead? What size TV actually fits on the console?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 9:36pm
Bill, all tvs are now digital and must do a scan to work.  Most modern ones do a scan as part of the setup process.
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:43pm
Doug, thanks for the input. I haven't used air channels for years except for the Pod.  I wasn't sure the Pod TV was 'standard' or some RV deviant.  I use DirecTV in home - a simple HDMI connection.
Bill & Bev
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 3:18pm
Ditto, I haven't tuned in a tv channel since before the switchover.  Directv at home.  Only used the pod's tv for the dvd player - and only the kids have done that.  That said, I got a new LCD tv at home three months ago.  My old one did not have a digital tuner, but the new one does.  Just in case - all the satellites could be junk if we get a really good solar flare some day and I'll need to tune in to the airwaves to find out what happened.
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 6:24pm
Can't speak for DirecTV.  We had it for many years, but had some hassle that I can't even remember now,
and dumped it for Dish.

For Christmas, we got the Dish Tailgater for the 'Pod.  (I've posted the details somewhere else on the Forum.)

Works some places, other sites have an impenetrable tree canopy, so I can only say it's a good idea with a
marginal execution.  I'm glad we have it, but it's not the total answer to RV tv.

Jdub-  The over-the-bed media console is Forest River's attempt to elevate the R-Pod 177 / 178 above the ordinary,
and it doesn't.  It is, not to put too fine a point on it, a piece of crap.  Your 178 offers the opportunity
to mount a flat panel in the console to the left of the entry door where it is viewable from the settee.
I would guess it would accommodate a 22" or so, but your selling dealer should be able to call FR to verify.
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 7:37am
Here's my two cents worth.  Specifically deleted the TV and antenna when we ordered ours built.  Instead of tv we stay at locations that offer cable access.  We bring a laptop computer and with a USB adapter, connected to the cable we can watch our news programs or any other cable provided content on the computer.  With a laptop we also have access to my office thru WIFI.  Works fine.  Hope that helps.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>