R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrake controller dilemma - Event Date: 15 Apr 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Brake controller dilemma
    Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 10:50am
I have a dilemma with the placement of my brake controller. I have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Prodigy II controller. The Jeep, although a fairly big vehicle, has very little knee room on the driver's side. There is no flat surface or space at all on the right side, there is some suitable space on the left, just below the light switch and above the fuel door switch, which is just above the hood latch and the parking brake. (see what I mean?) The wiring harness will reach to the middle of the SUV, but just barely, so I can't mount it any distance (more than an 1 inch) from the dash, near the shifter, or in or on the console. At this point I'm thinking about just plugging it in, adjusting it, and cable tying it under the dash out of sight and reach, definitely not my first choice! (not much room under there anyway)    I know I need to drill holes in my expensive (for me) SUV, I just don't want to do it twice. Where does everyone else mount their controller.
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 12:36pm
It's time to get out the old solder gun and extend your wiring loom. Been there and it's not difficult. I, too, had some difficulty with a lack of space. It was time to replace my old P2, so I tried a Primus, as it's smaller. I'm well satisfied with the Primus--smaller than a P2, has all the most useful features, I prefer the front located manual brake control, and it's lots cheaper.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 12:55pm

I had issues in that the factory wiring on my TV didn't match what they said it was, and therefore was going to have to be totally re-done by the dealer.  Instead we went with a wireless controller, and I am so glad we did.  All I have to do is plug the control into one of my 12v outlets on my console and set it in my cup holder where it is handy to grab if need be.  Then, when done, just unplug it and put it away until the next time.

If you haven't already bought everything, or can maybe return it, you may want to look into a wireless version.

(edited to add) Oh, and when the day comes that I trade out my TV for a different one, the whole brake controller goes with me and I don't have to re-wire another vehicle.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 1:02pm
I had a similar situation, Dingo - little knee room or surface area, and I had to make holes in my dash with my last TV and didn't want to do that again.  I extended my harness to my center console and added some black velcro to a few semi-hidden areas.  Then I could use a long piece of velcro as a strap.  When I tow the controller gets plugged in and strapped down.  Easy access for my right hand, much closer than on the dash or by my knees.

If I didn't already have my Prodigy I would go for the wireless version of the Prodigy that P&M mentioned.  I would probably put it in the same location and mount it the same way.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 1:22pm
I just looked up the wireless controller. I like it, a little "pricey", but it would be really easy to move into the much smaller Jeep TJ I use when I need to move the 'pod, off the concrete driveway, on the concrete I use a John Deere garden tractor. It looks small enough to "Velcro" in a convenient spot on the console or the dash. Too bad there's no brake signal on the JD. Thanks P&M    
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 1:45pm
Just ordered the wireless unit, anybody need a almost new Prodigy II cheap?
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 7:00pm
You can post it in the for sale section if you want to.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 9:45pm
I like P&M went with the wireless prodigy. at first I was hesitant due to the price. What sold me was when at the pod dealer the salesman said give me your keys so I can have my guys put the brake controller in, it will take a little bit as we have to cut and splice some wires. HOLD IT. I own an A C DELCO tech shop. We do auto repairs minor and major. No One is going to cut factory wiring in anything I own period. A lot of times they use cheap crimp style or spade cut connectors, trust me, in time these get corrosion on the and will cause problems. With the wireless prodigy my son and daughter can grab the hand held unit , plug it into their cigar lighter and tow the pod safely.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo

I just looked up the wireless controller. I like it, a little "pricey", but it would be really easy to move into the much smaller Jeep TJ I use when I need to move the 'pod, off the concrete driveway, on the concrete I use a John Deere garden tractor. It looks small enough to "Velcro" in a convenient spot on the console or the dash. Too bad there's no brake signal on the JD. Thanks P&M    
You are welcome!  Glad I could be of assistance!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
 Post Reply Post Reply