Topic ClosedBack from Tennessee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back from Tennessee
    Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 1:21pm
   We traveled about 1,600 miles with our new TV the Ram 1500 4.7 engine. We went up to do some remodeling on a house we own in middle Tn. The Ram did a beautiful job towing the Rpod, the best vehicle I ever owned. We were very busy getting things together before we left and thought I had remembered everything. Forgot the keys to the house and most important and serious thing was to check the lug nuts on the camper wheels. We made it about 200 miles and the left wheel came loose,the camper dropped to the ground and the wheel bounced along down the interstate and ended up resting right side up against the inside guard rail. Thankfully no other vehicles were involved in hitting the loose wheel that could of been very dangerous. I was traveling in the outside lane so quickly I was able to pull off on to the emergency lane. The trailer was not seriously damaged the fender came loose and the wheel hub and wheel itself needed to be replaced. And thankfully we were able to have a good repair shop to tow us into their shop and make the repairs. Everything was back to normal after about 5 hours. After giving it thought and the information we received from different people was the camper is stored under a carport and the side of the camper that is in the sun was part of the problem. Aluminum wheels expand and contract with temperature changes in doing so the lug nuts will work loose. The side that is not in the sun the mechanic checked and they were torqued to the correct specifications or close 95 lbs. And I torqued both correctly at the same time. My fault I did not check them before we left, a lesson learned and one I will remember. We have two white steel wheels on the camper now and I think they look better than the aluminum ones, they match the white sides of the camper better. I don't think I will have aluminum wheels again I feel safer with steel. So who ever reads this make sure you check your lug nuts before a trip especially if you have aluminum wheels.        David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 2:09pm
I know of what you speek,maiden voyage spring 2011.

Lost the wheel at 100 km an hour, no damage other than the wheel ,lugs and lugnuts.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 7:01pm
With the steel wheels on our popup and the aluminum ones on the pod, I've always found that they need often tightening at first and gradually seat themselves.  I haven't been able to move my lug nuts at all in quite a while.  The prior camper and the pod both are stored under the trees so no direct sun.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 4:41pm
Glad all is well and no real damage done. DH is usually very aware and regularly checks the lug nuts, but it would only take one time to forget for disaster to strike. 
Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
danthoman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 2:48pm
Glad everyone is ok. I usually check the lug nuts before we leave then again before we head home. But you're right, it only takes forgetting one time.

Our lug nuts needed to be tightened for the first couple of trips but have been tight since then.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
 Post Reply Post Reply