Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed Advice About Buying RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Advice About Buying RPod
    Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 4:24pm
Alright folks I need some advice. We have not yet purchased an Rpod but getting closer and closer. We are a family of 4, me, my wife, and 2 daughters, so sleeping room is the first thing I think about. I really like the 178 cause it basicly has 2 queen beds. Now the concern, I have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee I will be useing as a TV and I still need to put the hithch and wireing and most likely brake control on it. My question is, does anyone else have a similar setup? If so, hows the jeep for pulling? Did you have to add any special parts like trans. cooler? Where in the world did you mount your brake control? Any info, advice, experiences, etc. will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Luke
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 5:13pm
We have a 177, a few pounds lighter, but pretty comparable, which we tow with a Grand Cherokee, (A lot
older than yours!).  It is a 2WD in-line six.  We installed a Class III hitch receiver. a 6000 / 600 WDH, and
an electric brake module.  We have had absolutely no problems.

Now, admittedly, our terrain in Florida ranges from sea level to perhaps 35 or 40 feet.  so your milage may
vary.

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 7:08pm
Welcome.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 7:23pm
Hi laychum we also have a 177, but I would put a tranny cooler on any TV that I had and was going to pull a trailer.  A couple hundred now or a few thousand later to replace your tranny.  We pull with a Toyota FJ and was told no problem it would pull the trailer.  I put a tranny cooler on after getting advice from experienced campers.  LOL my 2 cents worth....... happy camping in your pod..
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
LeCrabb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 9:23pm
We are in a similar situation, my Fiance and I are looking to buy a 177 or 178, and would be using a 2005 Toyota Tacoma pre runner to tow it, and are hoping that can handle the load.
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 10:36pm
Welcome layochum!  We just bought a2013 Durango with the Hemi V8  and factory tow package to tow our 171.  It is a bit lighter than the 177.  The Durango tows it just fine with an e2 WDH.  I mounted the Prodigy controller on the under dash at knee height (basically at the height of the console) using two holes in the plastic casing, figuring that this will be our TV until we can't do it any more.  At 6' 1" for me and 5'4" for Chris, the controller doesn't interfere with either of our knees.  I purchased a connector with plugs at both end at the same time as the controller from Amazon.  The factory connection was up above the e-brake lever and kind of tough to get my hand onto, but it finally connected.  
Our only caveat is that the mileage with the pod on its first tow, about 100 miles on flat Jersey roads, was just under 9 mpg, compared to 19 on the way back without the trailer, according to the computer.  I hope the mileage will go up as the TV gets more miles on its system.
We really like the Durango, comfortable, without or with the trailer, and very easy to drive.  The 3000 lb loaded pod is less than half the tow capacity of the TV.  
We are looking forward to many happy miles supporting local gas stations around the country Wink

W and C

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 12:08am
Hi LAYochum, I too have a 2013 Grand Cherokee, the only real difference between the Durango and the Jeep is wheelbase and a few options.   Everything you are told by Podsible Dream is true, but, if you have the V6 engine it's a different animal, first it has only a 5000# tow rating with the tow package, second, it has a 3.07 final drive as opposed the V8's 3.45, and third, does not have an auxiliary transmission cooler.   As I understand it from the techs, (I work part time at a Jeep dealer) the 6 cylinder doesn't have the extra cooler, but what it does have is trans /heat issues, just watch the trans temp on the readout in the center of the dash under normal driving.   My V8 never goes over about 140 in normal driving. (haven't pulled the trailer yet)   If you wish, you can try a short trip without one, but be sure to use the tow/haul mode and monitor trans temp on your dashboard closely.   A trans temp of 200 degrees will cut the life (200,000 miles) of your trans in half, 250 in half again, 300 means almost instant failure, this according the Chrysler's engineers.   A WD hitch is mandatory with any trailer over 3500# according to the owner's manual. The factory tow package on the V6 really doesn't add much more than the tow hitch itself.   I really don't understand why, as the V6 transmission has to work harder than the V8. I had the same dilemma about the brake controller, so I bought a new wireless unit, I will velcro it to the console or just let it rest in the cup holder. Welcome and good luck.
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 1:40am
LeCrabb, before my Tundra, I towed our RP 175 with an 06 Prerunner 4.0 with auto and tow package. It did a really nice job of towing our pod. We towed in tow/haul (4th gear) and it would sometimes drop to 3rd on tough pulls. It always did a fine job, and my area is a pretty demanding towing area. Yes, the Tundra does a better job, but I was going to buy another Taco until I found a great deal on our Tundra. As long as you have the tow package and v/6, you should be fine.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 10:31am
We tow a 181g with an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  As you thought you should make sure you get a transmission cooler put on.  That's just the smart thing to do.

You will notice a pod this size behind you when towing.  You'll be a bit slow to get up to max speed if towing on the highway but that isn't too much of a problem.

Once you start hitting hills you'll notice it even more.  In a bad way?  Well no not really but you will slow down considerably when towing on hilly terrain.  You'll be in the slow lane, with everyone passing you and hanging out with the big semi's usually.

Yes you'll be able to tow your Pod around with this setup, we're on our 3rd year towing this year.  But I would say that it's under-powered at best.  Within the next few seasons we will most likely trade in for a new TV.
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 2:07pm
Luke,
First, note that published weights are empty, with no appliances, battery, propane,  or AC.  I  have a 171 it publishes at 2200, but from the dealer I took it to weigh station and axle plus hitch are 2700.  So add 500 pounds to the published weight before your first can of beans. pots or jeans.

But that being said. I tow with a six cylinder 350 engine.  I do  have the factory tow package with all the built in coolers etc. 

You will probably tow fine if you respect the process and understand that speed is going to eat your mileage.  I am getting 12.6 MPG with small hills, not taken it out west yet.  If your vehicle has a transmission temp gauge (mine does not), that is a big step forward to knowing if you are "eating" your transmission with each mile.  If your temp goes too high, you may be left stranded.

For what it is worth, note that most automotive road service companies do not cover the RV.  Get a coach net policy or one from Good Sam.  The others will tow in your TV and leave the pod to the theves.

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>