R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnstable Microwave/Convection Oven

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unstable Microwave/Convection Oven
    Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 5:34pm
Don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but thought I would post the problem...and the solution.

We picked up our 177HRE in Montana earlier this month. On the way home, all the screws on the right side of the microwave/convection oven had vibrated out, with the unit sliding out of its little home. Left side held strong, but right side was out a couple of inches and actually broke a piece of trim. My husband used some longer screws to secure the oven. Done and good. Right? Wrong.

We went on a very short trip to a nearby state park. Maybe 30 miles from home round trip. Guess what? Right side screws had vibrated out AGAIN. My husband said he was going to take the unit out and reinforce all the wood that is used for the screws. I told him to let me call Forest River first to see if the issue was a known problem, and/or did they have any suggestions. I talked to the manager, Jim. Great guy.

Well...Jim said it is NOT a known problem and recommended ... well, he recommended exactly what my husband was planning. Ha! Anyway, Eric is judiciously making the repairs as I type. If it happens again, I will certainly let everyone know. I have a feeling, though, that all will be good and right in our little r-Pod world now.
Eric and Donna
2012 177HRE
2012 RAV4
Sequim, WA
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 5:48pm
Interesting, thanks for the info.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Paulipod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 7:08pm
We just had our first trip out this year with our 176 and our Advent would light up and fan would work but it would not cook. Figured the safety switch on door latch was not catching so pushed on door and viola, it worked. Now figuring next best course of action. I am not patient enough to hold door in another mm to heat up frozen breakfast burritos!!! But if I have to remove to access one of the safety switches I will check and reinforce that baby.
2012 Rpod 176 HRE
2005 Trailblazer EXT
2004 2007 Daughters
Ageless Wife
oh and a awesome dog
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 7:18pm
Regarding the screws in the microwave/convection, the same thing happened to us - right after we picked up our 177 from the dealer last fall.  We hadn't even gone down any bumpy roads.  We reinforced the screw holes and added longer screws.  After that we went on a two-week trip and this spring have taken a trip with absolutely no problems. 
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 9:02pm
Something similar happened to mine; the microwave actually broke the trim piece off at the screws.  I just used some toggle bolts to screw the bottom of microwave to the mounting bracket it sits on and then epoxy-ed the trim back together.  It hasn't moved again in the past 4 years.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Goody2Shz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 9:10pm
I find it interesting that there have been a number of us that have experienced the issue. Maybe Forest River should be made aware that it IS a known problem.
Eric and Donna
2012 177HRE
2012 RAV4
Sequim, WA
 Post Reply Post Reply