R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInsulating under bed in 171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insulating under bed in 171
    Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:57pm
With the 171 our bed is over the exterior access bay in the back of the Pod. I sleep on the inside and M sleeps closer to the outside wall, and she is complaining in the colder weather that the whole side over there is much colder. I tested it this past weekend and it certainly is. Switching sides for us is a no-go for a few different reasons, so I looked underneath and it looks like it would be possible to glue in some rigid insulation panels to the top of the storage bay, which is right under the bed.

Has anyone tried or done this yet?  I'd lose some headspace in the storage area but I wouldn't think it would take much.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 9:55pm
 Sounds feasible.  Do you have a memory foam mattress?  We do, I sleep against the back wall in our 171 and haven't noticed any difference, I can only wonder if that mattress helps.  Something that may help you is to leave the access door under the bed open overnight to allow warmer air to circulate under there. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 10:06pm
P&M that's a good idea, Donna and I use the dinette short queen to sleep on in our 172, the rear pass through storage is right below us. Early spring, late fall Donna will complain that it seems cold in the middle of the night. She sleeps toward the rear wall. We have a 3 inch memory foam between us and the factory cushions. I think the coolness may come from the back, outside wall. I think that's a good idea to glue some ridged foam on the upper ceiling of the rear storage area to help. its light , cheap and wont hurt anything. I still think most of the cold comes from (in our case) the rear single glass on the back of the pod.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:39am
I have also thought about this but not because of the cold in the spring, it's the heat in the summer when we camp. What I did do was insulate the short walls behind the refrig because of the heat that radiates from them on the inside. There is only the thin paneling and nothing else to keep the heat out. It has made a big difference. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 6:25pm
To help with the heat in the summer I did like Goose did and put aluminum foil up on the back window.  Provides a complete blackout for naps and reflects all heat back out before it comes in.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Sounds feasible.  Do you have a memory foam mattress?  We do, I sleep against the back wall in our 171 and haven't noticed any difference, I can only wonder if that mattress helps.  Something that may help you is to leave the access door under the bed open overnight to allow warmer air to circulate under there. 

Doh!  Now why didn't I think of that! Cry
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 6:47pm
Nope, we don't have a memory foam mattress yet ... on the wish list but kind of spendy.  I agree that would probably help a lot with the issue as well.

We haven't had our Pod long enough to actually use it in the summer, so I am thankful for the responses about dealing with the heat.  Though I live in the Southeast I am a Northwest born'n'bred boy who likes it colder, and I don't do well with trying to sleep when it is too hot.  That has been a concern of mine, and these ideas to keep the heat out are fantastic!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 7:19pm
SmileI would recommend picking up a roll of mylar/mirror/bubble wrap.  It is usually available in the building section of the big box stores.  It looks like bubble wrap but the plastic is coated with a mirror-like surface.  The bubbles act as thermal insulation and the mirrored surface reflects heat.
So it works great to keep hot sunlight out and reflects IR heat in the interior.  I cut it to fit the shape of my Pod's windows and use the blinds/curtains to keep it from falling out of the window frames.
I finally added a couple of industrial strength sticky-back Velcro to each sheet to help keep the panels from falling down.
The bubble sheets really work well...they stop most of the condensation/frost when nights get nippy.  My bed is located beneath the rear window and there is never any cold drafts when the sheets are installed.
I also use the inserts on the sunny side windows if I know that it is going to be a scorcher and I want to prevent the temp from building up too fast from sun shining through the windows.
TIDALWAVE
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 12:45pm
How about using Reflectix under the bed and up the wall to just below the top of the mattress?

I can also highly recommend a heated mattress pad if you've got hookups.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Anthony Valenzano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 7:02pm
I've noticed cold air getting sucked into the 171 between the plywood for the bed and the back wall which leads down to the storage area.   Make sure the storage doors are closed and consider a bead of silicone between the wall and plywood. You can add insulation after the airflow is stopped. I'm going to try this as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>