R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPic & Heater Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pic & Heater Questions
    Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 5:10pm
I want to share some pics showing a shelf I put on my RPOD tongue to hold my generator. How do I get pics into my forum posts? My second question is about using an interior propane heater. When boondocking I'd like to conserve battery charge and run a quiet propane heater inside the POD. I see Mr. Heater and others advertised. Has anyone done this? Are there any combustion/oxygen issues doing this? Thanks
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 5:43pm
I only dry camp.  The heater in the POD in very loud and wakes me every time it kicks on.  I use either a propane heater or sometimes even light a stove top burner.  I always crack open the bathroom vent; according to the temp outside. Never had a problem or gotten an alarm.  Good luck with the pictures !
GaRedneck81
USN Retired
RP-172
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 6:22pm

Propane heater - I recommend a catalytic heater such as the Mr. Heater or the Olympic Wave.  Go with the smallest version of either because the pod is insulated so well, and so small.

For pics, if you are making a post using the "quick reply" window at the bottom of a page, you need to go to the full-featured reply window.  Look for the little arrow pointing to the top-right in the row of buttons just above the text box.  Or, Use the Post Reply button that appears just below the last post on a page.  Once you are in the full-featured mode look for the little picture button to upload and insert a pic into your post.  If you have more questions fire away.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 9:22am
We have a wave 6 in the 'stream, works great. I think the smallest is the 3. They do put a bit of humidity into the air.. but a cracked window and open ceiling vent take care of it. I don't think it uses as much propane as the main heater, but it's not ducted, and uses no electricity. We live with wood heat at home.. about the same feeling.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 12:42pm
Personally, I find that a catalytic heater puts out far too much humidity and that the trailer windows are dripping water all over the bedding and down the dinette seats. Not to mention that I'm worried about my dog burning herself accidentally.

I did own a Mr Heater when I had a tent trailer. Although it did put out a good deal of heat, I didn't like how prominent the burner was and how easily things could fall into it. I much preferred a traditional Coleman catalytic.

When dry camping (which I do quite a lot), I just use the furnace. Its unquestionably the safest option and it does quite a good job of heating the trailer. Sure, its a bit loud for sleeping, so I will occasionally use earplugs when it bothers me. Like the OP, I have a generator and in cold weather I run it for an hour in the late afternoon to recharge the batteries.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
renosteve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 5:17pm
With Tech's help I finally figured out how to post pics. Whew! I bought a rear hitch cargo carrier on Amazon, assembled it and had it welded onto my POD tongue. Before that we removed the gas tank and battery holders. We then welded the dual battery and gas tank holders on either side of the carrier. I bought a Rubbermaid cargo box and lag bolted into cargo carrier. This holds my Champion generator. Everything fits great. If you decide to do this make sure your TV won't hit the cargo carrier on the tongue in a tight turn (before you weld it on). More mods to share in the future. I think I'll look into a catalytic heater.

Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 9:07pm
Nice use of the available space up front.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 9:15pm
Looks good.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 11:13am

I did something similar but I bolted the carrier on instead of welding. I also turned the battery the other way to make room for my generator. 

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
renosteve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 4:07pm
Seanl:  I positioned my batteries and gas tank exactly like yours with their base holders welded onto the carrier. The Rubbermaid container in the middle was just large enough for my generator. I was also able to avoid crowding my anti-sway bar mounted to the tongue. I carry our bikes mounted on the back hitch for the spare tire, and carry the tire in my TV. Hit some strong winds in NV and Death Valley, but had no problems with the POD swaying.
 Post Reply Post Reply