Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpont montana/chev venture as TV for a 177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: pont montana/chev venture as TV for a 177
    Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 5:17pm
Ouch We are just at the decision point.  Vehicle is 2002 montana with 20,000 miles on it.  Would like some honest feedback on using this in the blackhills for starters. Thanks
'04 Americamp M 270RKS 5er @ seasonal site
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 5:35pm

Welcome.

As mentioned in my email earlier, I had a Venture.  There was a massive problem with the lower coolant gasket (I forget the exact technical name) on that engine, where they always failed under 100,000 miles.  I read of tons of examples online and talked to others who had that engine in their car or minivan.  When it fails it dumps the entire contents of your coolant system into the oil.  If you are lucky you catch it right away - the oil will look like chocolate milk - and pay a ton to get the gasket fixed, only to have the engine fail soon after because the damage was done.  If you aren't lucky the engine detonates right away.  Ours failed somewhere over 90,000 miles, we had it repaired, and then it threw a rod around 97,000 while towing our popup home from the beach.  Happily we were fairly close to home.

The Venture/Montana is good for controlling sway since the ball is close to the rear axle.  It had enough power to pull our popup which was heavier than the pod, but the Sienna we used to pull our pod was underpowered under certain conditions - air resistance trumps weight - so there is no way I would pull a pod with a Venture/Montana.  You might get away with it on back roads where you stay below 55, but on big hills I would be worried.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 10:03pm
Your right Techntrek, as a A C Delco tech shop owner we do a lot of 3400 and 3100 lower intakes on General Motors vehicles, seems like they like to fail around 80K to 120 K. it is a good engine but the lower intake is a weakness. Pay strict attention to the health of your cooling system no matter what make. Most Modern Car producers want to stress "no maintenance" you have to service the cooling system sooner than they recommend. G.M. had a problem with DEXCOOL, they said run it till 100,000 miles. no way folks, change it every 30K to 50K or its going to cost you. Also change that fuel filter every 30k miles period. If you can find it, run a can of BG 44K through the tank it will make a big difference. Common sense rules, take care of your TV and it will take care of you.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
ontheroadagain2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 1:32am
Clapthanks techntrek N dsmiths for the encouraging comments on using the Montana.  I suppose that putting a turbocharger on it to bring it into the world of "ecoboosting" is probably also out of the question.

What we've done instead is decided to get the lighter 172 instead of the 'roomy' 300# heavier 177....and consider getting a different TV.  What are your thoughts on the 2012 Honda Pilot with its 250hp versus the 270hp of a 2012 Toyota 4Runner? 

I also would like to use the Reese adjustable weight distribution ball mount with a 54970 hitch bar.  I've got a 2" ball on it.  We used in in the past towing an Aerolite Cub and a KZ hybrid during the last decade with a 1500 series Yukon which is long since left the garage.  I don't think we'll need the weight distribution bars from what I've been reading in other parts of the forum; but it does have the anti-sway bar ball, and the 2" drop and 5-1/4" of rise, all of which will be useable.

We certainly do welcome your thoughts and comments
'04 Americamp M 270RKS 5er @ seasonal site
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 1:41am
I tow my 172 with a 2500 HD silverado, I am no expert but I would not tow my pod without a WDH with sway controll.
Welcome to the forum
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 6:14am
Originally posted by ontheroadagain2

[IMG]...and consider getting a different TV.  What are your thoughts on the 2012 Honda Pilot with its 250hp versus the 270hp of a 2012 Toyota 4Runner? 

In my opinion the more power the better. Wind resistance becomes more of factor at higher speeds than weight.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 8:15am
Here's my two cents worth. And for full disclosure: I pull my 172 with a 2010 Honda Pilot.

That said, and assuming you are looking at the 4WD models, the Toyota has a 4.0L engine vs Honda's 3.5L. That leads to some increased horsepower, torque, and towing capacity. The Toyota is rated at 5000# towing capacity vs 4500# for the Honda, but 186 pounds of that difference is eaten up by increased curb weight for the Toyota.

When shopping for the RPOD, we chose the 172 specifically to keep the weight down. Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR: Car +Trailer +people +stuff) is the limiting factor. We will spend lots of our camping time at altitude and gasoline engines suffer at altitude. Honda recommends reducing GCWR 2% for each 1000 feet of altitude. Colorado is 8000-10000 feet.

All that being said, the advantage is slight for the Toyota and the choice may come down to personal preference. Drive the two vehicles on the same day, back to back. We did just that and the Honda was the clear winner for us. But then, I'm biased now.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 10:11pm
Many variations and combo's , we tow the 172 with a Chev Trailblazer , in line 6 290Hp. I think the longer wheel base of the T Blazer makes a difference. I use a simple friction anti sway and have never had a problem period. I have pulled in 40 mph cross winds, semi's passing etc. I keep my speed down to 60 mph or less and never had any sway problems. I have made 50 mile pulls with no anti sway control and no ill effects. I think it is a combo of wheel base on the t.v. tongue weight etc. the bottom line is to stay safe.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:55pm

We bought the 171 over the 177 specifically for the weight variance, considering our TV is only rated for 3500#.  We just towed it 2 weeks ago 180 miles through thunderstorms and 40 mph wind gusts, up & down hills, and while a bit nerve-racking at first everything was fine.  We do have an anti-sway bar on ours, and I wouldn't be without it.

The reason I say I wouldn't be without it is because of the one time I decided to drive it home from where it is stored, which is only 6 miles away, and I didn't put it on.  To say that I could "feel" the difference was an understatement.  Won't ever leave anywhere without it connected again.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Paige View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 7:59am
We have a 177.  Our trip in January to Florida was an eye opener for us.  At the time, we didn't have a WDH and many times the pod would start to wag,,,one time we even had to pull off the road.  We could not go more than 55 mph.  We learned that in going down hills, we would also apply the trailer brakes to maintain some control.  While in Florida, we found a WDH on Craigslist and put it on.  What a difference.  We drove back to New York this week,,,doing a hilly version through Virginia and Pennsylvania and were able to maintain speeds up to 70 mph with no wag at all!  Our gas mileage is best at 60 mph, but to have the option of going faster without worrying about the pod wagging was fantastic.  And, we also didn't have to worry about steep ramps as much as the WDH brought up the back of our car.  So if anyone is wondering if a WDH is worth it,,,IT IS!  They can be pricey, so look for second hand ones.  
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>