Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner of used '09 152
    Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Seanl

Did you import the trailer to Canada? I ask because in order to import a vehicle into Canada you need a recall clearance letter.
[/QUOTE]

Seanl,
The original owner imported the trailer into Canada just prior to me buying it. Apparently I was the first person to mention the recall when I first looked at it. Somebody wasn't being thorough in their job I guess...

2009 RP-152 (Cutie-Pod)
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 10:08am
Zag, sorry for the late reply.  All 152s are covered under the recall. You will need your pod VIN # which is on the sticker just inside the screen door and/or on the silver sticker on the outside of your pod by the driver's side.  Contact Susan of FR and she should be able to send the parts to the nearest FR dealer of your choosing to do the install. The thread on the recall is here.

As for the rear window leak, it was a frame-design problem  on the first batch of rpods.  The original frame installed did not have proper weeping/drainage holes and the water would be forced into the frame and then drain into the interior of the pod.  Technically this is a design and manufacturing defect that was corrected in later models so FR should in theory give you an entire new replacement window for free. However the cost of installation is not included if you are not the original owner/pod is still under warranty etc.  The labour should be around $100-200 from a FR dealer.  Check to see if you have the new frame installed. it should not be curved or flush with the window but look a little awkward upon close inspection.  Basically a flat window installed in a very curved wall.... Tongue  It seems that the leak was much more severe on the 151s and the 152s because of the curve on the back wall. On the earliest 17x series it was also a problem but not that noticeable.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 12:00pm
In order to answer the question "can I tow with......"

Answer these questions:
How far do you want to tow?
How willing are you to climb hills in a low gear at 30 MPH?
How willing are you to destroy your transmission?

This is not the voice of doom, but are simply factors to consider. If you don't go too far and don't push the speed too hard on hills especially, you may not keep the vehicle long enough to see the effect of heat on the transmission.

You may be able to install a tranny cooler and even a transmission temp gauge to help you gauge when you need to stop for a rest stop or when it is no problem and can keep on going and forget about the heat.

As far as performance... chugging up hills in a head wind is what it is... how patient are you?
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
Zag View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by g4royce

Zag, sorry for the late reply.  All 152s are covered under the recall. You will need your pod VIN # which is on the sticker just inside the screen door and/or on the silver sticker on the outside of your pod by the driver's side.  Contact Susan of FR and she should be able to send the parts to the nearest FR dealer of your choosing to do the install. The thread on the recall is here.

As for the rear window leak, it was a frame-design problem  on the first batch of rpods.  The original frame installed did not have proper weeping/drainage holes and the water would be forced into the frame and then drain into the interior of the pod.  Technically this is a design and manufacturing defect that was corrected in later models so FR should in theory give you an entire new replacement window for free. However the cost of installation is not included if you are not the original owner/pod is still under warranty etc.  The labour should be around $100-200 from a FR dealer.  Check to see if you have the new frame installed. it should not be curved or flush with the window but look a little awkward upon close inspection.  Basically a flat window installed in a very curved wall.... Tongue  It seems that the leak was much more severe on the 151s and the 152s because of the curve on the back wall. On the earliest 17x series it was also a problem but not that noticeable.

Thanks g4royce for the info. I started by contacting the local dealer and they also redirected me to Susan at FR. I emailed her my proof of ownership; just waiting to hear back.

I think I will follow up on my original email and look at having the back window addressed at the same time. I've heard mixed reviews regarding the local dealer so I'll have to see how it goes.
2009 RP-152 (Cutie-Pod)
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Zag

Originally posted by g4royce

Thanks g4royce for the info. I started by contacting the local dealer and they also redirected me to Susan at FR. I emailed her my proof of ownership; just waiting to hear back.

I think I will follow up on my original email and look at having the back window addressed at the same time. I've heard mixed reviews regarding the local dealer so I'll have to see how it goes.

I bought my Rpod used from a non Rpod dealer and took it to a local Rpod dealer to have the lights put on. They did it no Questions asked. Now maybe that was because 1. The Rpod had been purchased originally at that dealer and 2. The Rpod was a Canadian Rpod. The Canadian Recall came about a year before the US one did. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
jeep_pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 2:49am
I am also on the Island. My Jeep rated to tow 3500 lbs seems to tow the pod fine. It is a stick shift with 32 inch tires and the stock 3.8 V6.

Zag View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 9:16am
Originally posted by jeep_pod

I am also on the Island. My Jeep rated to tow 3500 lbs seems to tow the pod fine. It is a stick shift with 32 inch tires and the stock 3.8 V6.

Great to meet another islander! Are you using a brake controller? I know a number of other members are towing with 3500# capacity but notice it when having to tackle the bigger hills or higher speeds.

2009 RP-152 (Cutie-Pod)
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
jeep_pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 12:44pm
I've got a Prodigy P2 brake controller mounted below the steering wheel.  Plug and play device, I hardly know it's there.

Zag View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 2:37pm
UPDATE:

I now have the light kit installed courtesy of FR and the local dealership. It took a bit of time to get the process going and the dealership has only been carrying the line for a couple of years so the recall work was new to them. All in all it looks pretty good and I'm happy to have that off the to do list.

FR has also agreed to cover the rear window leak repair. Interestingly, the dealership explained (or tried to) that the leak is a result of the window glaze and not the seal. FR is still okay with covering the costs but as a result, the dealership has to have the window sent out to be re-glazed locally.

I had to google what window glaze meant as my first thought was glaze as in the icing on a doughnut but it's not like that... It's the way the window is mounted into it's frame. 

This might be a different way of explaining the known issue of the leak, or something different. Either way I am happy that FR stepped up and offered to support their product even though I am a) not the original owner b) the camper was imported from the US to Canada and c) the camper is now 4 years old. Now that's great customer service!
2009 RP-152 (Cutie-Pod)
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 3:46pm
Good to hear that everything is getting done and that FR is willing to help Smile

Let us know how the install turns out Smile
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>