R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat foods do you store in Pod during summer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What foods do you store in Pod during summer?
    Posted: 07 May 2013 at 7:02pm
Getting ready for summer camping and storage in-between uses, and I was curious about something.  Where we are it can be 90+ degrees with high humidity for weeks/months at a time during the summer, and our Pod is parked in a storage lot in full sun when not in use.  I would assume that it will get pretty hot when it is stored as we need to keep it closed up for the elements. 

We have made plans and will be using it about every-other weekend, and want to be able to store as much in it as possible so that on Friday's we can just hookup and headout.  So, with that in mind, what food and/or cooking items (outside of refrigerated things) would be fine to keep stored in the Pod while it is not in use?  Cooking oils, coffee, cream, sugar, canned goods, dried goods, ???

I figured that those of you who have been doing this for a few years might be able to share some of your wisdom and learning experiences ... thanks!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:04pm
Spices and a few staples, otherwise I have a bin I bring back and forth with the other things.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:58pm
About the same.  Some drink mixes, spices/salt/pepper, and a box of emergency freeze dried food which stays under the bed.  Nothing that can melt, or mold.  Everything else comes inside to be used up between trips.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:37pm
We generally leave spices, tea, coffee sugar and dry creamer. We also generally store canned green beans, corn, progresso soups and grillin beans for the summer. We use canned goods either when we camp or shortly after we get home. I think most modern canned good are ok short term even in higher temps. I also leave the vent in the bathroom cracked to help lower inside temps.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:43pm
Like most everyone, I keep coffee, hot chocolate, sugar and spices in the trailer throughout the summer.

I also leave low-fat muffin mix (no eggs required - just water), pasta, pasta sauce, pancake mix, syrup, jiffy-pop popcorn, granola bars and single-serve bags of potato chips/sun chips/cheetos.

And finally, there's bottled water, mickey of vodka and another of amaretto, part case of beer and a few cans of pop.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 8:09am
Thus far we've binned all our things back and forth each trip.  Our Pod gets very roasty in the summer and I thought several things tasted funny after being left out in between trips.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 8:28am
Actually, anything that doesn't need to be refrigerated stays out there. My min/max says it has been 47F to 111F inside the trailer.. 8F to 99F outside. (we leave a small ceramic heater set on it's lowest setting in there during the winter, makes it more comfortable for the mice..)

We have the usual stuff, canned beans, meats and veggies, oatmeal, ramens, mountain house's, MRE's, popcorn, s'more fixin's, chips, drink mixes, bottled water (the only time we use it is camping), pop tarts, cooking stuff (olive and vegetable oil, pam, spices), the small pancake mix bottle things, quick grits, peanut butter and jelly...

Last weekend, I took some sausage, fresh eggs, fresh veggies, bread/buns hot dogs and milk. What didn't get ate (not much) came back inside when we got home..
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 9:26am
Originally posted by furpod

Actually, anything that doesn't need to be refrigerated stays out there.

Ditto here. We have a 30A outlet outdoors so sometimes I leave the fridge running with beverages inside. Very handy while doing outdoor chores ...

Off topic: coming back into the US from Canada, Border Patrol asked us if we were bringing anything back with us. I said, "just some leftover beer."  He looked at me over the top of his shades and deadpanned, "Leftover beer?" 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by HuronSailor

"Leftover beer?" 

Never heard of it.   Tongue
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 6:38pm
Not too much to add to what everyone else is saying. I don't leave much in the pod between trips. I cleared a space in our mud room to store "pod" food for the summer. It's in plastic containers so it's convenient to move back and forth. Also, I have a personalized checklist that I double check before we leave to make sure I have everything. I won't leave anything in the pod for winter. 
Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>