R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTransmission Temp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Temp
    Posted: 08 May 2013 at 1:20pm
Recently saw a post from Outbound regarding transmission temps. and the Scanguage II.  Bought one and this is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  While towing up long grades I've always been concerned about the transmission fluid temp.  With this guage and a connector we all have in our vehicles this will give you more information on your engine/transmission fuel economy, trip details, etc. than you could possibly want.  It is easily programmable and I have been mighty impressed with all of the data that it collects and displays.  I'm still tinkering with it, but will use the trip computer that it has built in to do all of the data collection for my trip, including mpg, total miles, transmission fluid temp., radiator temp., air intake temp. and more.  This is for a gas engine.  Has many more data points available, but these are the important ones for me.  I will be more comfortable while climbing long grades while towing. Can't say enough good things about this ScanGuage II.  Camping World and Amazon carries them.  Certainly would recommend this to any and all who tow a trailer. Thanks to Outbound for recommending it.  Safe Travels. 
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 2:12pm
   We have a scan gauge but it will not give our transmission temp. Some vehicles it will some it will not best to call the manufacture first.  David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 2:16pm
I'm certainly not an expert, but did you manually put in the codes that are required to display your trans. temp?  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 4:46pm
I emailed the manufacturer, (excellent quick response, BTW), and I was informed that transmission
temp was not an available readout for my vehicle.  End of interest for me, and a suggestion for you prior to
purchase.
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 11:43pm
I did in fact call them before purchasing and it seems that very few vehicles do not provide the trans. temp.  Sorry about your vehicle.  However, for the majority of vehicles the trans temp is available and can be programmed to display on the ScanGuage.  There are many other functions of the ScanGuage and as we begin our camping season anew, I will be checking on the trip features.  Buy a Chevy.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 6:29am
Originally posted by Camper Bob

I'm certainly not an expert, but did you manually put in the codes that are required to display your trans. temp?  Safe Travels.
 The manufacturer or myself does not know the code and Chrysler will not provide it. You are right sometimes it is good to buy a Chevy.  David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 7:36am
A lot of the readouts they mention in their advertising are very valuable, but are available on the
Grand Cherokee overhead display panel, so they would be somewhat redundant.  I think I'll take the
$150. I would have spent on the ScanGuage and put it toward a transmission cooler!
Bob and Joyce
RP 177 "Key Pod"
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 8:37am
WinkTry Googling for the OBD-engine codes.  I previously had a Jeep Liberty (Chrysler)...I found pages of OBD code using Google.  I now use my ScanGauge II on my commuter car, Yaris.  Quite a few vehicle forums have a member, who has provided the OBD code for their vehicles. I also found that the same forums also usually listed which vehicles did not have the capability of reporting specific data such as transmission temps, etc.
The ScanGauge II also will give engine "error codes" which you can then look up to see what might be wrong.  One day, while driving the Liberty...the "check engine" light began to flash.  I had the SGII display any error codes...which it did.  I pulled the code sheets and found out that the fuel system had lost vacuum.  Listed on the code sheets were also "hints".  The first hint was to check the gas cap...sure enough, I had not tightened the gas cap after the last fillup.  I tightened the cap...and the engine check light went out.  My Jeep dealer charges $100 for the first (or partial) hour for any diagnostic.  So the SGII nearly paid for itself that one time.

TIDALWAVE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 10:19am
I had a similar experience.

I drove for months with the "check engine" idiot light illuminated after my mechanic said it was a very minor code having something to do the evaporative emission control system.

I finally resolved to remedy the situation- I didn't want the minor problem to mask a more serious code- and my mechanic's first
suggestion was "Try a new gas cap."

Problem solved for about $5.00!
Bob and Joyce
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 6:45pm
Camper Bob, I'm glad that you're liking your ScanGauge.  I certainly found mine to be a worthwhile investment.

As has been mentioned above, transmission temperature is not universally available for all vehicles.  If anyone is interested, the ScanGauge website has a lot of information, but I suggest a quick telephone call to their 1-888 line.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>