R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTransmission Temp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Temp
    Posted: 09 May 2013 at 10:49pm
Curious the Ram truck and Jeep don't have trans temp readouts.  My '13 Durango Crew has an engine readout screen that will show coolant, oil and trans temps.  Also computes gas mileage - not a happy thing when towingWink.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 1:15pm
Same deal for me - I almost got one for my Sienna, but my current TV shows the tranny temp in a digitial display (along with tire pressures, oil life, engine hours, instantaneous mpg, average mpg, 4-vs-8 cylinder operation, etc).  I wish the display was organized better and showed more than one piece of data at a time, and was used instead of the analog guages for oil pressure, coolant temp and voltage.  That's one advantage of the Scangauge.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 9:56pm
Interesting to hear the newer Suburban has a better computer than our 2005 Tahoe.  I watched the trans. temp today just tooling around town.  About 168 degrees.  At what temp do you start to freak out with the temp of the transmission fluid?  Also have the water temp of the radiator displayed.  Runs about 190 degrees.  Gonna be interesting to watch next Sunday when we begin our next trip.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 10:35pm

I figured the magic number was somewhere just over 200, maybe around 220.  Turns out the max is 270 which is very surprising.  See the 2nd post on this thread which claims to have info directly from GM:

http://www.silveradosierra.com/transmission/transmission-temp-to-hot-t12797.html

Only water temp on mine is the analog gauge, which is always right on 210.  Plenty of room there since a 50/50 antifreeze mix under pressure boils around 265-270.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 7:06am
I was surprised to see that at least with the trailer towing package on my F150 it has an analog appearing gauge on the dash for the trans temp.  I wonder how accurate they are really, but my guess is that they are accurate enough.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 8:31am
Read the response regarding GM products transmission fluid temps.  Somewhat reassuring.  Now will have to see what my results are, and if I hit the magic number, need to pull over and let the fluid cool.  I assume since newer vehicles now include a readout on transmission fluid temps. that more and more are towing and concerned about their transmissions, that the manufacturers have made that data available.  Good for all.  Thanks for the input.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 12:10pm
I dunno about GMC and Dodge products, but the transmission temperature gauges on my current Toyota Tundra and previous F150 are nothing better than idiot lights. As the Toyota warms, the Toyota gauge moves up to its normal mid range, where it stays planted. It doesn't move from there, as the ScanGauge indicates the normal running temps of 185 to 195 degrees--sometimes rising to 225ish while towing the Pod on hills and passes. I don't know when the Toyota gauge starts to raise, but others have said that theirs has not yet moved when their S/G indicated in excess of 240 degrees. According to info from various Toyota forums, these are normal operating temperatures.

With the S/G on the Tundra, the indicated temps are shown in real time, rising and falling very quickly. This is preferable to me, in that it's easy to monitor when towing. Something that's often not noted is just where is the pick up for the trans temp gauge located. If the pick up is after the fluid exits the trans cooler, you will get those wonderful, low, chest thumping "my transmission sure runs lower than yours" temperatures. If your pick up is before the cooler. then temps will indicate much higher.   
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12