This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPicking up 172 soon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picking up 172 soon!
    Posted: 09 May 2013 at 4:51pm
We are almost the proud owners of a new 2012 Rpod 172!  We decided to buy it on Monday even though we hadn't even sold our Jayco Pop Up.  I put our Pop Up on Craigslist and sold it to the first person who showed up today!   We sold it for $150 more than we paid for it (We did put some money into it.. but  I think we still did pretty good for having our pop up for two years and walking away almost even.) 

Anywho.. back to our RPOD!  I am so excited about picking it up.  We were going to do the walk through on Monday, but since we sold our Jayco, I want to go ahead and pick it up tomorrow.  I am pretty nervous.  Is there anything I really need to look out for?  I get really bad buyer's remorse when I make a big purchase so I need to stay calm or I will talk myself out of it.  I have spent all week reading the forums.  WHOA.. so much stuff to learn :) 
I can't wait to join the community and be an old pro!

Little bit about us.
I am 38 year old stay at home mom with two wonderful kids (5 and 3) and a wonderful husband. 
Big smile

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 4:57pm
It will all be OK.. LOL.

You are not the first to go down this road. And in fact you have an advantage over many many podders, because for a pretty high percentage of them, this is their first camper. You guys probably already have a grasp on towing, 12v vs 120v systems, using a dump station, etc.

And, you have already found the forums, where, the collective knowledge is, well, huge.

OH.. and WELCOME to the pod life!
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 5:14pm
As Steely Dan sang, "No heart breakin', no remorse".  

You have made a wonderful choice, as have we!  We had no RV experience- just some tent camping, and
some years ago.  What we had, however, was a great delivery experience from a dealer that prides
themselves on that level of service.

The R-Pod seems, to us, to strike a perfect balance between "roughing it", and "driving your motel room".
Our pups love hanging out with us in the R-Dome, I love cooking dinner over a charcoal fire, and my wife
loves the convenience that the 'Pod offers-  indoor bath, and A/C!

Welcome, and great times await.

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 8:48pm
The 172 is perfect for a couple with 2 kids, you can fold the dinette down for the short queen for mom and dad and the kids can have the bunks. get a memory foam mattress for the rear dinette. Donna and I got a 3 inch 2 layer at yes (walmart) I roll it up and put bungee cords around it when not in use. I also built a foldable 1/8 inch luan stiffener I put between the factory cushions and the foam mattress. It sleeps like heaven. You're going to have a lot of fun in that cool looking small package.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 9:33pm
Welcome!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
PeppyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 10:09am
PeppyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 10:24am
We are going to do the walk through today at 1:30.  Wish us luck :)
We are very excited about the 172.  We were looking for this set up for a while. (2 Bunks and a queen) The only other camper that even came close was the Scamp and we were not going to buy something sight unseen.  There were no Scamps anywhere to be found in the South :)  Thank goodness we came across the RPOD!

Since our little ones are so little right now, we thought it might be easier to split them up and have one sleep with me on the top bunk and the other with my husband on the bottom bunk.  This way, we can leave the dinette set up.  Of course, we may change our minds after our first trip next weekend.  We shall see.  In our old Pop Up, we had to do this.  The kids never get to sleep with us, so they love it when they can!  Plus the size of our bunks are about the same size as the beds were in our Pop UP.  Once we get a safety net on the top bunk, we will probably just throw both kids up there and my husband and I will share the bottom bunk.  We are both pretty small so it will be nice and cozy down there ;)
Like I said, this all could change after I first trip, but I think it is our initial plan.  hehe. 

I am going to print out my check list and take it with me to the dealer but is there ANYTHING I should really look out for.  After reading some of the posts on the repair boards, I am paranoid I am going to get a "lemon"... uh oh buyer's remorse is kicking in again.  MUST STAY CALM Dead
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 11:04am

Welcome.  I think the days of lemons are pretty much done with.  I think Forest River has heard enough from us all and has taken steps to alleviate the problems during the build, and upon delivery.  I would suggest you carry a large yellow pad with you on your trips to note any items that you need to add to what you already have, and possibly any problems with the Pod.  It was suggested to purchase a torque wrench and to check all the wheel lugs prior to any trips.  Takes a moment and prevents and mishaps with missing wheels while towing.  Of course, read all of the forum tips and take notes.  You should have a wonderful time and of course post any questions or concerns here and we will answer them for you.  Safe Travels.

Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
ThePinoyPodders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 2:30pm
Welcome! We are very eager to get our hands on our 172 as well! Can't wait to hear about your likes (and hopefully no dislikes), and your many adventures! 

ThePinoyPodders (Wife) 
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 3:05pm
I don't think you'll have any issues with a "lemon" Pod.

Good luck with your walkthrough!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>