Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with pets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGlow in the dark leash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glow in the dark leash
    Posted: 11 May 2013 at 9:19pm
Just wondering if anyone has found a glow in the dark leash? We adopted our dog a year ago, and noticed throughout our camping adventures we seemed to trip over his long tie out leash multiple times at night. (which can make for some laughs.. but can be quite scary at the same time :s) 

I've seen some online that have led lights in the collar, but nothing on a long leash. 

I've thought about maybe trying glow in the dark fabric paint on our current leash, but not sure if the glow would stay present into the evening? 

The leash we currently use for tie outs is 30 feet in length, which we definitely shorten as needed for each camp site so he can't access other sites/roads, etc. 

-ThePinoyPodders (Wife) 

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 7:37am
Be careful what products you use with dog accessories.  Some are toxic to dogs, and often dogs lick and chew "their" things.  Make sure any glow in the dark product is pet safe.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 10:28am
I have seen novelty leashes, in WalMart, I think, that have led's imbedded in a clear plastic tube-like deal with batteries in the handle, I presume.
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
ThePinoyPodders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 5:41pm
Coopercdrkey - we've been looking at LED ones online (can't seem to find any at the walmart's/ pet stores here in SW Ontario).. unfortunately they are quite costly for the length. We may end up doing this if we can't come up with another option. 

Keith-N-Dar - We're always very cautious as to what products get close to our pooch. If we go this root, I'll be sure to make sure it is animal safe. Thank you for the reminder though! Can never be too cautious when it comes to our dear pets! :) 

I'm thinking I may just try sewing reflector material onto his leash. Hopefully this would help us see it better when walking around with our flashlights. 

I've also thought of clipping battery operated lights onto the leash depending on their size and cost. I'll scour the dollar store for options when shopping for storage supplies when our Pod arrives :D 

-ThePinoyPodders (Wife) 
jjkd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 11:42pm
Most glow in the dark products I've seen that don't require electricity are only good for a short time, perhaps an hour or two after 'charging' them with bright light. If that's an option, searching eBay for glow in the dark rope will get you many options.  Searching eBay for led dog lead or led dog leash will get you many battery powered options starting at around four dollars. Most of those are around five feet, with a shorter, perhaps one foot, lighted section, but stringing together a number of these might be better than a non powered option if the non powered open doesn't work long enough.  Be careful when choosing a battery powered option, some say they have an automatic turn off to save the batteries.

Another option, not sure if something like this would be strong or durable enough...

--
Joe Kyle
--jjkd--
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 7:42am
We use adjustable bicycle LED lights. Most of them have adjustable blinking patterns including a constant on so we just choose the least annoying one Tongue  The one we got uses AAAs and we use rechargeables in it so it's not too expensive to run.
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
 Post Reply Post Reply