This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Member Saying Hi!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member Saying Hi!
    Posted: 20 May 2013 at 2:50pm

Hello - New member just stopping in to say hi.  My wife, 7 year old son and I bought a 2013 182G back in January and have to say we just love our Pod.  We've tent camped for years, and still do with our son being a Cub Scout and when I do multi day expedition Jeeping into places the pod just can't go.  We talked about getting a camper for about four years and seriously looked for the past two or so.  I was dead set on a small tear drop because I really wanted a small camper and also loved the rear galley cooking area; however it wasn't a good fit for a family of three with two English bull dogs.  So when my wife learned about the Pods she knew it to be the one we could both love...she was right....I moment I saw the 182G in person I knew it was "the one", it had everything we both wanted in a camper. 

We're really into Jeeping, I own three (JK, XJ, CJ7) and use our 2012 Rubicon Unlimited as our primary tow vehicle.  I know the Pod is pushing the TV 3500 weight limit but we still pack like tent campers and on our maiden voyage last month, it made the three hour trip each way trip to one of our favorite off-road parks with ease...no complaints.  We just spent the weekend on our second trip to a local campground less than 15 min from out home and I was able to take advantage of the electric tent sites tucked away in the woods rather than the RV sites in the sun with zero shade.  The jeep once again towed the Pod with ease, even with the added weight of a full water holding tank.  I don't think I would tow with full water long distances, however the campsite was so close to my house it was a no brainer.

Even though our four door wrangler seems to tow with no issues, we have been offered a 2004 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8 for a ridiculously low price from my wife’s brother that we may buy it for no other reason than using as a tow vehicle....still doing some more research. 

Anyway...This is a great forum I've been reading for a few months....I'll try to post some pics....some of you may have already seen them on Facebook.  I wanted to join mainly to say THANK YOU to everyone that has posted about their experiences and their pictures of little modifications they've done...really really helpful.

2013 182G
TV 2004 Dodge Dakota V8 - 2012 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 3:29pm
Welcome.  We have another Jeep fanatic here, Terry.  What are the Dakota's ratings?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Cooks128 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 3:43pm

I'm not sure if the Dakota has the 3.55 or the 3.92 gears, I'm going to check vehicle spec tags tonight when I get home to be sure,  but it's either 5500 if 3.55 gears or 6500 if 3.92s.  I would imagine (and hoping) it has the 3.92 gears becuase it does have the factory tow package with the plugin for the brake controler, prewired 7 pin and the trans cooler. Either way, it's at least 2K more then then our JKUR.

We are indeed Jeep fanatics....I have a friend of mine that owns a graphic design shop that when business slows down at the end of summer he's going to price for us changing out the stock graphics on the pod to Jeep-Pod with offroad tire tracks following the lines of the pod.
2013 182G
TV 2004 Dodge Dakota V8 - 2012 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 7:59pm
Welcome!  You will love the unit, many the same reasons why I chose it.

X
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 9:34pm
Sounds like its much more capable than your Jeep for towing, if you can get it cheap I'd go for it.  Many of us have towed with 3500 pound rated vehicles and found they were marginal at the limits.  In my case a trip to Florida with nasty head winds dropped my mpg to 8 because there were times I had the gas to the floor just to maintain 55 mph.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 9:40pm
Welcome to the forum! You're in the right place for advice. Podders are very helpful people!
Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:09am
Welcome!  Glad to hear that you are enjoying your Pod!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:17am
Welcome to the 18xg club!

Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 12:50pm
Welcome to Poding. I tow with a 2009 Liberty. It has a 5000 tow rating with the trailer package. I only wish that it had the the 3.6 Liter engine that the Wrangler has instead of the 3.7. the 3.6 gets 286hp and the 3.7 only gets 210hp. Other than border line power I like towing with the jeep. One of the vehicles that I have looked at to replace the Jeep is the V8 Dakota. Longer wheel base and more power good combination.  
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 1:07pm
Hi! new member welcome to the forum. I think you should accept your brother 'in' laws Dakota. We have the 4th. generation 4.7 engine in our 2012 Ram. What I have read they are a durable and reliable engine. You will appreciate the extra horsepower and torque. I have had two Jeep Liberty's a 2004 and 2010 the 3.7 and short wheel base were not the best for towing. The Ram we love and very happy with it as a tow vehicle.     David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>