Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Tow Vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Tow Vehicle
    Posted: 24 May 2013 at 11:23am
We have been towing our 176 with a Buick Rendezvous rated at 3500 lbs. Installed a tranny cooler, etc. and it tows okay on the flat. However, we know we're underpowered for the extensive traveling we want to do in the next couple of years so are considering a new tv. We've narrowed it down to a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder or a GMC Acadia. Just wondering if any of our podding friends have experience with either vehicle. Thanks for your input.      Pam and Jack

Pam and Jack
Abby the Bichon
RP 176 towed with 2013
Nissan Pathfinder
Anthony Valenzano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 11:46am
All other things being equal, I'd stick to a rear wheel drive based SUV.  I towed with both and the rear wheel drive pulls a lot better.  Front wheel drive based vehicles (AWD or not, expect Subaru) tend to thrust left or right when pushed hard while towing, due to most of the power going to one of the front wheels.  The new pathfinder is FWD-based, probably the Acadia as well, but I'm not sure.  Unfortunately they are making everything this way these days.   How about a toyota four runner or Jeep Grand Cherokee?
JACKPOD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 2:53pm
Hi Anthony - As we are a one car family and plan to keep the next car for many years, I really want something that has a few more style points than the Toyota or Jeep. Guess it's a girl thing!! and my very wise hubby goes along with it for me.

Cheers,    Pam
Pam and Jack
Abby the Bichon
RP 176 towed with 2013
Nissan Pathfinder
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 5:41pm
Pam, have you looked at the Jeep Grand Cherokee?  It would do the job with ease.  Especially in the 4X4 version.  Actually, any real 4X4, not AWD, has a higher tow rating than the 2WD version.  Plus the Jeep is a very good looking vehicle.  Another reason for a 4X4 is exploring off road or very ruff forest trails.

Terry
(Do you think that if Jeep reads this they would give me a good discount?)LOL
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 9:13pm
I agree with what has been said ,I would search for a rear wheel drive vehicle. And the new Jeep Grand Cherokee has won a lot of awards. If one of you have served in the military you will get a $500.00 discount. There are not to many rear wheel drive vehicles other than trucks the Grand Cherokee is one of the few. Not trying to sell a Jeep but its a good choice out of just a few rear wheel drive vehicles. I would like to add if you decide you would like a truck Chevy is coming out with some very good trucks to be on the car lots soon.    David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Anthony Valenzano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 3:51pm
Infinity makes a few high style SUV's that are RWD-based, big bucks tho.  Here is a full list of RWD based SUVs: http://autos.aol.com/car-finder/style-suv/rear-wheel-drive/

If someone had a FWD SUV there'd be no reason to sell it to tow, but when thinking about buying it really should be given serious consideration.    My other suggestion for someone with a FWD SUV would be sure to tow with the draw bar low, get the ball below the center of the rear axle, that way when lots of force is applied to the hitch, it's not working to lift the front tires.  Of course that conflicts with getting the TT level. 
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 10:05am
I agree with Terry, Jeep is good looking. It's not brand new but it does do the job well and at 7700 pound towing cap., I could pull two POD's hooked together like a set of doubles and still have room to spare. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 11:06am
Buy a Chevy Tahoe 4WD V8.  Lots of pulling power, comfort, etc. we get between 10 - 12 MPG towing which is consistent with the 6 cylinder TV's.  As far as I'm concerned the more towing capacity, the better.  Lots will disagree, but I'm sticking with that.  Safe Travels.  
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 12:19pm
Each of us is going to recommend the brand we've had good luck with, but if you're going to tow seriously then listen closely to Anthony V. and Camper Bob. It's really easy to err on the small side for a tow vehicle. You can not err on the big side. You just have to weigh the towing abilities v/s the mileage, parking difficulties, and town driving problems of a big rig. That being said, then RWD and something on the high side of 6000 lbs tow rating is best. Less than that, and if you tow any distance and/or elevation, then you will find times that will stress you and your tow rig.

It's amazing reading here daily, how many of us have had to either move up the tow rig ladder or dump the Pod in disappointment.  Good luck making a choice that works for you.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 12:56pm
Kickstart.  You said it better than I did.  Looking at a barely capable TV is not only dangerous, but going to be very frustrating on those long hill climbs, when you have the pedal floored and trying to maintain 35 MPH. Or, buying something with a short wheelbase and all the problems that you could face with that vehicle.  As was told to me many years ago, "You can either cry now, or cry later."  Spend less now and not be happy, or buy what you really need with extra towing capacity, and be very satisfied as well as being safer.  Ask Techntrek why he upgraded or I believe Thad who had an accident with his tow vehicle, and moved up to a much larger TV.  Not trying to sell you anything, just giving you some sound advice.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>