Topic ClosedNew Tow Vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Tow Vehicle
    Posted: 27 May 2013 at 9:48pm
   Yes it is better to have the tow vehicle in complete control than the chance of having the trailer in control. You feel a lot more at ease with a larger tow vehicle. We have had a lite weight tow vehicle and our current tow vehicle a Ram 1500 a big difference.    David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 9:33am
Jackpod, we are in the same place as you are.  Our Veracruz has a 3500# capacity and does just fine around here as well as handling the Appalachian hills, as long as we are driving and towing within it's limits.  We haven't gone more than 4 hours away from home, keep it at or below 60 mph, and just basically take it easy.  But knowing that we want to start taking longer trips next year has got us already talking about getting a new TV that will better handle the hauling, and it was M who actually started the conversation (a first for her 'cause she never talks about vehicles!).

Some good info for us to keep in mind that ya'll have posted here.  We know we want something with no less than 5000# capacity and are trying to figure out if we want to go with another SUV or change over to a pickup.  Hadn't thought of the rear vs front wheel drive aspect until now, which may sway us some.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 9:49am
You can't go wrong with a pick-up (Ford rocks!!), they are so functional. 
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Anthony Valenzano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 10:23am
I don't want to drive this to the point where we are telling everyone that they need a diesel F-350 to tow a pod - that would be silly.  I've seen people tow excavators with F-350's.  I myself tow a tractor, with backhoe and the works with my 2008 Pathfinder.  That's around 6000 lbs, tows easily.  Really we are obsessed with weight, and that has very little to do with it.  It's really the frontal area.  You need something that can handle the weight indeed, but most SUV's can handle 2500#.   Tongue weight it the next myth that we talk about, these r-pods have tongue weights of about 250#.  You can have someone that weighs more than that in your back seat.  So it's not about tongue weight.  It's about the aerodynamics of the pod - or lack thereof.  It's about getting the pod to 65mph when you are trying to keep up with traffic.  My opinion is that you need two things - horsepower and traction.  You could have 500Hp, but if it's in a FWD platform, you can't get that power to the ground due to the way the forces load the vehicle.  You can have RWD but if you only have 150HP, you won't get that pod above 50MPH.  So I recommend RWD based platform (preferable with a frame) and at least 250Hp.   I bet that you'd be better off towing with a Camero than an FWD SUV, (okay maybe that's a little bit of Reductio ad absurdum).  -- Someone try this and report back :-)  
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 10:59am
One other thought on vehicle - I wish I had a bigger gas tank.  I only have 21 gallons, which means when I'm towing I'm stopping for gas 3-4 times a day.  That kind of stinks, as I end up searching for little out-of-the-way gas stations locations rather than convenient  truck stops.  I'm thinking of carrying an extra 5 gallons, as at some point I'm going to run out.  
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 1:06pm
 Anthony I think you gave the best explanation of a good tow vehicle.Smile  David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 2:07pm
I am posting this just for fun. I would not recommend this because it would not be stable and if you did it all the time you would destroy the car. But it is fun to watch.  Take a look at this video. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 4:41pm
Add "get a long wheel base" to the list.  Not sure if that was mentioned yet on this thread.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 5:17pm
Can you define a long wheel base?  The r-pod is short is compared to a lot of 30' trailers, and a F-150 or Suburban is fine for those, so if an F-150 is fine for a 30' TT, what does the wheel base need to be for a r-pod?  I can see a RAV4 or wrangler being on the too short side.
JACKPOD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 5:27pm
There sure has been some great information shared since we asked the question about tow vehicles. We are not new to towing - had a 30' Alpenlite Fifth Wheel for several years that we went all over the country with, and a Chevy truck that towed it. We also love to get out and drive - taking the back roads as much as possible - and don't mind doing it slowly if needed. So some of you may be yelling at us, but we've purchased the Nissan Pathfinder. Did a lot of research and had some great conversations with a Pathfinder owner here on the boards before we made up our minds. It'll be the correct and only vehicle for us for many years to come and the fact that it's loaded with everything except a kitchen sink is great. But won't need the kitchen sink because it'll be behind us!

So, watch for a red Nissan Pathfinder in front of a 2011 176 - Abby the Bichon on her special foam cushion between us. Hope we see lots of podders this summer and at the r-pod village at the rally in August.

Thanks again for all your terrific information.
Pam and Jack
Abby the Bichon
RP 176 towed with 2013
Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>