This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 87>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote THEDragonTJH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers
    Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 11:02am
Originally posted by WQArmy

AEV 2.5in Lift on the 2013 Sahara w/ 285/70/17 Tires.  I have to check the drop on the hitch.  I think it was a 4in drop on the hitch..  I also have to use a hitch extender because of the spare tire. 

Thanks for the info, my rig is on stock Rubicon takeoffs (255/75/R17) and 2.5in Rough Country spacer lift, so I won't need as much drop.
JeepeR-Pod
'14 R-Pod 172
Jared & Jenny
Teagan, Ruby (Kids), Ozzie, Louie and Stella (Dogs)
ShazG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShazG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 11:33am
Very Nice!!!! Let the good time roll Smile
ShazG
newtopodding View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote newtopodding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 12:34pm

Here she is!  Tried it out this weekend on Whidbey Island, had a great time!

2014 Toyota Tacoma, V6, 4X4
2013 R-Pod 172, Hood River Edition
Tekonsha P2 Prodigy Brake Controller
Bred Flink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bred Flink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 12:49pm
2014 HRE178
Honda Ridgeline with 2" rise hitch.
No WDH or Swaybars....
2500 KM maiden voyage roundtrip over the Rocky Mountains in winter conditions
Tekonsha Primus brake controller

The heater/furnace worked great. De-winterized and re-winterized in same week. The Rpod turned out to be everything we wanted, but the dealership...Rangeland RV in Calgary AB is a disappointment. (to put it mildly)
The Ridgeline has a 5,000LB tow capacity and pulled like a champ.
Sailing and camping Western Canada and US-NW
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GA_RPOD_178 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Bred Flink

2014 HRE178
Honda Ridgeline with 2" rise hitch.
No WDH or Swaybars....
2500 KM maiden voyage roundtrip over the Rocky Mountains in winter conditions
Tekonsha Primus brake controller

The heater/furnace worked great. De-winterized and re-winterized in same week. The Rpod turned out to be everything we wanted, but the dealership...Rangeland RV in Calgary AB is a disappointment. (to put it mildly)
The Ridgeline has a 5,000LB tow capacity and pulled like a champ.

Glad you are enjoying your 178 and Ridgeline.  We have similar pkg, other than 178 is 13 model, same as the Ridgeline
[/URL]
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hairy Podders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 6:40pm

This is from almost 2 weeks ago. Just before hitting the road for the drive home.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Hairy Podders

This is from almost 2 weeks ago. Just before hitting the road for the drive home. [/QUOTE

How did the Jeep tow? I would have bet that the 2 door Jeep would have to short a wheelbas

How did the Jeep tow? I would have bet that the 2 door Jeep would have to short a wheelbase.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hairy Podders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 4:25pm
The 2 door Unlimited was built '04-'06. The wheelbase is 104". Half of '05 & '06 Jeep offered the 2 door Unlimited with the Rubicon package. Which I have. One of the nice things about that package is the 4.10-1 axle ratios. As near as I can tell, Jeep built about 10,000 2 door Unlimited Rubicons. What is the wheelbase of a Liberty?
It pulled the Pod fine as far as stability went, with the Blue Ox WDH & sway control. I have a 6 speed standard trans & ran 4th & 5th gears all the way home. Yeah, another 100 horsepower would have been nice. But it does just about exactly what I expected. I expect Fuel mileage, when I'm not fighting a 35mph head wind like on the drive home, should be 10.5-11.5. I'm dragging the Pod to Colorado this summer & then taking the Jeep trailriding. It'll be a great time.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
outermostpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote outermostpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 5:11pm
Towing capacity of the long wheelbase Jeep 2 door (LJ) is 3,500 lbs.

Towing capacity of the short wheelbase Jeep 2 door (TJ) is 2,000 lbs.  

Functionally they are the same vehicle provided same axle ratios, but the shorter wheelbase = lower towing capacity.

In 2007 they replaced the LJ with the JKU which has 4 doors.  That also has a 3,500 lb towing capacity with the right axle ratio (3.73 or higher).

We used a 2009 JKU to tow our 178 but after listening to my family complain about the road noise and lack of comfort in the Jeep on long hauls we bought a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe (photos coming) with 5,000 lb tow capacity.  Should quiet the complainers somewhat.
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 5:54pm
Outermostpost, we have a 178 and towed 6000 miles out west and back with our 2010 V6 272 hp) Santa Fe.  No problems, except we had to down-shift on some of the grades and averaged 13.5 mpg.  We were cramped for space in the Santa Fe, which is to be expected in a mid-sized SUV.  We solved the space problem by trading the Santa Fe in on a Chevrolet Avalanche.  Your new Santa Fe should do well, as long as the space is adequate.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 87>