Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSeat Foam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seat Foam
    Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 8:23pm
Searched on "Seat Foam" and came up empty handed so I am just going to put this out to the group.

We have a 177 and are in our 3rd season. All's well but the seat bottom foam is really flimsy and gets on our nerves. The seat back foam is good enough for our uses.

Anyway   ..I was wondering if anyone has replaced their seat foam and would be willing to share their resource.

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 9:02pm
Funny you should ask.  As we speak, our bottom cushions are being restuffed with a firmer foam.  Last year, I went to a upholstery shop and I sat on a number of different foams.  Finally came up with a combination that seemed comfortable.  Was I surprised when he gave me an estimate of $480.  I gulped and went home with my sad cushions.  This year I was going to go for it.  However, just the seat bottoms made the most sense.  Not sure the exact reference number of the foam I am getting but it is a new formulation that is every bit as good as what I was interested in last year at a somewhat cheaper price.  I was told that foam is a petroleum product and oil is its base.  That being said, the two bottoms are being stuffed with what is called an HQ foam.  Price for both cushions is $260.  The original foam that was specced last year would have run $427 for all four cushions.  Should have them back in a week or two.  Hope that helps.  The feel of cushions is very personal, like picking a mattress.  Sit before you purchase.  Safe Travels. 
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 8:03am
I have purchased foam from this company in the past. I was happy with the quality of the foam and it did not cost an arm and a leg. 

They have an Ebay online store here
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 9:08am
Re: the above.  Their are many different qualities of foam.  You may be just replacing ours with an equally poor substitute.  Go to an upholstery shop and sit on different types of foam.  Only way to find what is comfortable to you.  Otherwise, it's a blind item.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Camper Bob

Re: the above.  Their are many different qualities of foam.  You may be just replacing ours with an equally poor substitute.  Go to an upholstery shop and sit on different types of foam.  Only way to find what is comfortable to you.  Otherwise, it's a blind item.  Safe Travels.

This is true like any purchase online you have to educate yourself because you cannot see or touch what you are purchasing. 

Foam is rated in two ways. 
  1. Density which is the weight of of a 12inch cube of the foam. the higher the number the longer the the foam will last. 
  2. ILD or IFD which measures the firmness of the foam, or how much weight it will carry. Technically it measures  the number of Lbs of pressure is required to indent 4" of foam by 25% using a 50 square inch indention. The higher this number the firmer the foam and the more weight it will support. 
When you are trying out foam it is good to get these two numbers so you can compare apples to apples so to speak. 

I suspect that Forest River uses lower density foam because mine does not feel as firm as it did two years ago which means that the foam is probably wearing out. 

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 10:44am
In a 4" thickness you're probably going to be happy with a 30# IFD (Indentation Force Deflection) foam. I've used this density of foam a couple times to replace cabin cushions and mattress pads in my boat, and also used it to replace the animal bedding packing material mattresses that came in our bunks. A given foam will feel harder the thicker it is, so for a thinner cushion you need a higher IFD rating.

You might try this link for more info.  I bought my rPod foam here. Prices are reasonable unless you ask for custom sizes, then it goes through the roof. Much cheaper to order a stock size and cut it yourself with an electric carving knife. It's easy, really.

The next web site has lots of good info, and they carry top notch products. They have a whole FAQ section about various types and densities of cushion foam right on their home page. I've talked to the owner face to face and bought lots of foam and fabric from them over the years. Good family owned company and good people too.

The dinette cushion foam in our rPod is definitely not up to this standard, but we rarely sit there. When it does bite the dust I'll be replacing it with the higher density 30# foam.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 1:27pm
So   ...I got a quote from the "Ritchie" company on some new foam for my seat bottoms. Price was reasonable but I am waiting to hear back regarding the comparitive density of the foam he is quoting. If it's the same as what we have it's a NO GO. Sounds like he has a variety of different foams though so more than likely I will go with him once we get clear on the the whole density issue.

Thanks again for all of the links and information. Very helpful.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Footslogger03

So   ...I got a quote from the "Ritchie" company on some new foam for my seat bottoms. Price was reasonable but I am waiting to hear back regarding the comparitive density of the foam he is quoting. If it's the same as what we have it's a NO GO. Sounds like he has a variety of different foams though so more than likely I will go with him once we get clear on the the whole density issue.

Thanks again for all of the links and information. Very helpful.

'Slogger

He has everything from 1.5 Lbs to 2.5Lbs Density. 1.5Lbs is standard. I don't know what he quoted but I got some 1.8Lbs 6 inch 33 ILD foam from him to replace sofa cushions about a year and a half ago that I was happy with. 
 Post Reply Post Reply