This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI'm new here...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm new here...
    Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 11:04am
Greeting all,  My wife and I are proud owners of what appears to be the orphan of the pod family that being a 151 year 2010.  We recently upgraded from a Coleman Taos 8' tent trailer, so the 151 is very large and spacious.  I spent several hours this weekend reading through topics and gained a lot of knowledge about the pod family.  My pod was  originally purchased by an elderly gentleman in his 90's. After he bought it his health declined and he never really had the chance to use it.  So it seems new inside but needs many upgrades.  Here is my list from reading the forum.
 1)  Risers
 2) battery shut off
3) Leveling jacks for the front, yes I know they are not jacks, just stabilizers.
4) Bal Leveler
5)  Brake controller  -- Question, are the $125.00 ones that much better than the $35.00 ones.  They both have excellent reviews on Amazon.  What is the difference?
6)  Have local dealer install  the "recall" lighting package.
7)  Like everyone else with a 2010 the decals are coming off and are a mess.  Does Forest River offer anything to remedy this?  If not, I will just remove what is left and look for something else to apply.  The side decals seem fine.

Anyway, thats all for now and thanks to everyone for creating a helpful and informative forum

Gary and Becky
Salt Lake City Area
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by podrunner

Greeting all,  My wife and I are proud owners of what appears to be the "red headed step child" of pods, that being a 2010   151.  We recently upgraded from a Coleman Taos 8' tent trailer, so the 151 is very large and spacious.  I spent several hours this weekend reading through topics and gained a lot of knowledge about the pod family.  My pod was  originally purchased by an elderly gentleman in his 90's. After he bought it his health declined and he never really had the chance to use it.  So it seems new inside but needs many upgrades.  Here is my list from reading the forum.
 1)  Risers
 2) battery shut off
3) Leveling jacks for the front, yes I know they are not jacks, just stabilizers.
4) Bal Leveler
5)  Brake controller  -- Question, are the $125.00 ones that much better than the $35.00 ones.  They both have excellent reviews on Amazon.  What is the difference?
6)  Have local dealer install  the "recall" lighting package.
7)  Like everyone else with a 2010 the decals are coming off and are a mess.  Does Forest River offer anything to remedy this?  If not, I will just remove what is left and look for something else to apply.  The side decals seem fine.

Anyway, thats all for now and thanks to everyone for creating a helpful and informative forum

Gary and Becky
Salt Lake City Area

HI Gary,

Good to see you here. Looks like you have thought of most things. 

As to brake controllers the Cheap brake controllers just measure how long you have been holding the brake and apply more brake the longer you hold the brake pedal. The more expensive ones have sensors that measure change in speed and inertia to determine how much brake you need. As I understand it you get better breaking on the more expensive ones and the brakes last longer. 

As to decals I don't know if FR has come up with any solution. Most people seem to replace them or remove them all together. 

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
sailo25 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 1:13pm
Welcome and glad to have more 151 owner on board. I don't have riser on my trailer and have had no issues with clearance so far. Pulled it on about 6 trips. Just ordered a brake control so can't help you their. Leveling jacks (stabilizer) for the front & battery diconnect is also on my list.
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 1:31pm
Most people recommend the Prodigy brake controller--it's the most popular, works well, but is more expensive than some others. I've used all three major grades of the Tekonsha controllers, and have not noticed much difference in performance. Reese controllers are some cheaper. I don't know much about them, but if they are like Tekonshas, then the models with the digital readouts will be easier to adjust and keep in adjustment than the ones without.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
rex View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 3:30pm
Welcome to the world of podding !!! Happy trails to you rex pHp stuart fla
jrr
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 9:02pm
Runner, I have the raisers, and from my experience and what has been written  I'd say you should get the raisers for your pod.  Brakes will save your life...... don't skimp on that.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 9:32pm

Welcome.  Don't skimp on the brake controller, paying the $125 for a good Tekonsha inertia-based controller vs. a cheap timer-based one is a bit like buying cheap lawn chair furniture for your living room.  The cheap chair will function as a chair while you watch television every day, and it will save you a little bit of money.  But spending not much more money for a decent cushioned chair will make you much more comfortable during all the time you spend using it.

Definitely lots of problems with the front/rear decals around here.   Here are pics of mine when I had them taken off for good in 2011.  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2007&title=removal-of-decals-front-and-back

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 7:54am

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!  We were tent campers ourselves prior to getting our pod, and so we know how much more "spacious" it is as well!  There are a lot of great experienced Podder's hanging out here, so don't be afraid to ask questions as they come up.  Enjoy!

P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 9:43am
Congratulations on adopting an orphaned Pod!

Glad to have you out there with us all.  Your list seems to cover just about everything.
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 7:06pm
Welcome and enjoy your Pod.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>