R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed12V shower

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12V shower
    Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 7:50pm
WinkI replaced my shower head with an Oxygenics showerhead also...but eventually switched back to the OEM head.  I often dry camp, and found that the Oxygenics head required more water to work as effectively as the OEM unit.  It does mix air with the water but  I found that I was using more water to rinse off.  I experimented with a rubber mat that blocked the floor drain.  I definitely had more water around my ankles than with the OEM head.  It might be anecdotal but my wife also agreed with my findings.  I am not sure why we seem to use less water with the OEM head.

By the way...when we first got our Pod, both the shower head and sink aerator were almost totally clogged with plastic 'filings' . I used compressed air to clean out both heads and ran a few gallons of water through the piping (and water heater) to flush out any additional debris.
TIDALWAVE
podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 8:29pm
I have solved the problem of the 12V shower.  I was reading the instructions that came with the Shur flo pump and it mentioned looking for and removing water restriction devices.  So I took the shower head apart and found that the opening on the back side of the on - off slide was about 1/16 inch diameter.  This is the way it was molded, it was not plugged up.  So I got a long drill bit and from the inlet side was able to drill out the opening to about 5/16".  Now I get plenty of water flow, but down side is I ruined the on off slider by drilling through it.  I glued the pieces into the shower handle to plug the holes so it does not leak.  So bottom line, I lost the on off switch, but gained a shower head with sufficient flow to provide an enjoyable 12V / water tank shower.  I think with culinary water connected, there would be plenty of pressure for water to get through the 1/16" hole, but with the pump, there is no way it can create enough pressure and volume to effectively fill the shower head and provide an adequate shower flow.  Thanks for all your responses and ideas..
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
bhamster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by podrunner

I lost the on off switch, but gained a shower head with sufficient flow to provide an enjoyable 12V / water tank shower.

Unfortunately you probably also lost the ability to take more than a couple showers before running out of water Big smile
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 10:02pm
Get an Oxygenics , you will not be dissapointed
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 10:30pm
No loss on the on/off switch.  I stopped using it while soaping up because oddly it allowed the hot water to creep up the line faster than the cold water - so I would turn the shower back on and would get scalded!  I just use the knobs now.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12