Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy First Post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Post
    Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 9:33am
Hi, all. I am Bob Paton and moved to Florida 11 years ago after spending my entire life in the Midwest.  We returned from a 3 week trip out west last week, and experienced rather severe fiberglass delamination on the front and left side of our 18' Zoom (Dutchman Aerolite) trailer.  We took it back to our local dealer and came home Friday with our "new" 173.  Prior to this, I had read almost every post on the 2 R-Pod forums which helped me decide on the R-Pod. 

My wife and I have 3 well-behaved small dogs that enjoy camping as much as we do. Through our married life, we have owned 2 pop-ups, 3 travel trailers and 3 motorhomes.  Our last motorhome was a 34 footer with 2 slides, but we have already adjusted to the much smaller R-Pod and are looking forward to our first trip in it.

I made several mods over the weekend, and want to purchase one of the R Domes that are presently on eBay.  However, buying the correct size is confusing. It seems they come in 11, 13 and 15 foot lengths and those advertised have a 1/4" bead.  Our R-Pod has a 1/4" channel opening.  My question is does the 1/4" bead refer to the actual bead (which is inserted inside the channel) or the thickness of the bead material that fits into the channel opening.  I have not found a definitive answer in the forums.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 12:02pm

Welcome.  Others have had to sort through that problem so I'm sure you'll get an answer quickly.

I made 4 trips to Titusville to catch the last two shuttle launches.  Lucky you that you were already there!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 3:11pm
I'm just up the road in Saint Augustine.  Some times it helps to flair out the opening of the channel.  other than that I can't help you any.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 3:36pm
Thanks, Doug.  We are 3 miles from the Indian River, and directly across the river is KSC. We watched the shuttle launches from our driveway (except we went to the river whenever we had company) as well as the continuing rocket launches. 

Terry, my question about my awning rail is whether or not the existing 1/4 inch opening is too large for the R Domes advertised on eBay. And what is the appropriate width for my TT.  I assume the width would be 13' rather than 11 or 15.  If anything, the 1/4" opening might be too wide already. BTW, now that our extended trip out west is over, we are thinking about St. Augustine as our initial trip in the R-Pod.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 5:07pm
Let me know when you come up here.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
 Post Reply Post Reply