R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpros and cons of risers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: pros and cons of risers.
    Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by 21grandma

WinkAny idea what the cost of the risers are, and does the dealer have to install them or can my husband do it , and where does one buy them.  There is no r-pod dealer near us.

You can get them for forest river direct. I paid $100 for mine at a dealer and I put them on myself. It is not a difficult job if you have a hydraulic jack and an 1/2" impact wrench.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 8:02pm
My dealer sold me the risers for $68, and charged me $220 to install the risers, pack the wheel bearings, check the brakes, clean and test heater, fridge, and water heater, and fill the LP tank.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 10:11pm

Originally posted by 21grandma

WinkAny idea what the cost of the risers are, and does the dealer have to install them or can my husband do it , and where does one buy them.  There is no r-pod dealer near us.

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2747&title=misc-forest-river-contacts-and-other-info

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Anthony Valenzano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 10:17pm
CON: I lost about 1 MPG (or about 10%) by installing the risers.  Now the height is a little too high over the tow vehicle.   I considered taking them back off for this reason, but I like not having to worry about scraping.  I also really needed the risers it to level up the trailer with my TV.  

If you are worried about scraping only they make some heavy duty 6" casters that can bolt to the frame to catch it.  That seems to work pretty well with small/light campers.

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/RV_Parts/rv_skid_wheels.htm
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 9:26am
Originally posted by P&M

It is interesting that everyone says having the R-dome not fit well is the drawback, but mine came with the risers on it and our R-dome fits just perfectly as it should ... maybe at some point they made a mod to the dome size??

So at the back where the dome touches the Pod it the rain flaps are 100% on the ground and you can stake them down?

P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by kymooses

Originally posted by P&M

It is interesting that everyone says having the R-dome not fit well is the drawback, but mine came with the risers on it and our R-dome fits just perfectly as it should ... maybe at some point they made a mod to the dome size??

So at the back where the dome touches the Pod it the rain flaps are 100% on the ground and you can stake them down?

Yes, the rain flaps are completely down on the ground, and I stake it out on all corners just fine. 

I did notice that in some older R-dome pics it looks like the sides of the dome were completely removable, along with the front.  The sides on mine cannot be removed out completely ... the front can, the front side of the dome has a separate zipper opening so it can be opened up  but not removed, and the back side can be zipped open and rolled up but again not removed.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 1:37pm
You can order it from Forest River.  Then have a RV dealer put them on.  The only part of my R-Dome that doesn't "fit" is the skirt.  It doesn't reach the ground.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 9:20pm
I've just always hated that I can't stake my dome down in the back.  On one side it's fine cause the cooler sits on the flap, but the other I never have anyway to do anything with it.

Annoys the crap out of us.AngryAngry
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 9:32pm
I got some small bungee cords (6-10") and I use them with tent stakes (looks like large nail with plastic head).  I think there's a tab on inside corner of Dome which I use with bungee and stake.  Did this last year ... seemed to work well as I remember.

I may have also used small bungee from Dome to bottom of stabilizer.  Experiment and see what you can do. I was 3 weeks in one location and it held up well.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 11:30am
Adding a new set of stakes to our list for next shopping trip.  Currently I have the exact number I need but no spares so I never thought to just stake one at that corner and then small bungee cord it!

That should work nicely!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>