R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectrical Question in Campgrounds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical Question in Campgrounds
    Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 10:28am
Tricera-Pod came with the standard electrical cord that is used to hook up during campground stays, 25ft. I was wondering if anyone knows what the standard amperage these electrical cords are rated for? 30amps, 50amps?
I know one has to have at least 30amps to run the A/C unit, but if there is only 50amps available at a campground does this mean I will burn out my cord and/or Pod is I use 50 amps to run my power?

Last year while tent camping in Keweenaw P. we were at a camp site with power. I had a extension cord that we used to power our computers. This was fine as we were not drawing allot of power to run a computer.
However, if we had our Pod then the electrical cord that came with the pod would have never reached the outlet, I needed at least 50ft to each the outlet.
With that being said, does anyone use an extension cord with the standard issue power cord that came with their pod? If so, should I get a heavy duty extension cord rated for 30 or 50 amps?

Electrical items always scare me a bit so I want to ensure I do not burn anything down when I hook up. I know a standard extension cord is not something one wants to use when powering the Pod in a campground. SO any advise would be great.
Carl & Sandee              2013 R 177               2012 Titan
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 11:14am
My 174 has a extension cord. Came with from previous owner. Check with your local rv, or boat stores
            Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 11:53am
Your power cord is rated as 30amps.  When you use an adapter to use a 50amp power post you are only tapping 30amps of the 50amps that are there.  That is why you need the adapter.  I always carry an extra 30amp cord and an extension cord for 15amp (regular 115v AC outlet).

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 11:55am
Originally posted by TRICERA-POD

Tricera-Pod came with the standard electrical cord that is used to hook up during campground stays, 25ft. I was wondering if anyone knows what the standard amperage these electrical cords are rated for? 30amps, 50amps?
I know one has to have at least 30amps to run the A/C unit, but if there is only 50amps available at a campground does this mean I will burn out my cord and/or Pod is I use 50 amps to run my power?

Last year while tent camping in Keweenaw P. we were at a camp site with power. I had a extension cord that we used to power our computers. This was fine as we were not drawing allot of power to run a computer.
However, if we had our Pod then the electrical cord that came with the pod would have never reached the outlet, I needed at least 50ft to each the outlet.
With that being said, does anyone use an extension cord with the standard issue power cord that came with their pod? If so, should I get a heavy duty extension cord rated for 30 or 50 amps?

Electrical items always scare me a bit so I want to ensure I do not burn anything down when I hook up. I know a standard extension cord is not something one wants to use when powering the Pod in a campground. SO any advise would be great.

Hi,

The cord that comes with the Pod is a 25 foot 30 amp cord. It will only plug into a 30 amp plug at the campground unless you have an adaptor. You can get a 15 amp adapter for the 30 amp plug that will allow you to plug the pod into a standard 15 amp household plug. When you do this you cannot run everything in the pod or it will blow a fuse or breaker. There are 50 amp plugs at some campgrounds for the big rigs but they have a different plug. 

As for extention cords I have a 25 foot 30 amp extension cord that I use because campsites don't always put their plugs in the right place. You should not have any issue with a 25 foot extention. This is a link to a cord on amazon like the one that I have.

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
TRICERA-POD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 12:04pm
Now I see said the blind man. Thank you so very much. I did get the 15 amp adapter from my dealer so I am set there. I figured the 50 amp was for those big rigs. But better to ask those whom have gone before me to be safe
Carl & Sandee              2013 R 177               2012 Titan
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 1:02pm
One minor point. All that has been said is true, but with one additional thought. I have seen it reported that some of the campground 30 Amp connectors are worn out or non-functional whereas the 50 Amp connectors are working. Probably due to heavier use of the 30 Amp service. For those cases I carry a short 50 Amp to 30 Amp "Dog Bone" adapter. I've never used it but I love to solve problems before I have them. Quote the Boy Scouts. Smile
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

One minor point. All that has been said is true, but with one additional thought. I have seen it reported that some of the campground 30 Amp connectors are worn out or non-functional whereas the 50 Amp connectors are working. Probably due to heavier use of the 30 Amp service. For those cases I carry a short 50 Amp to 30 Amp "Dog Bone" adapter. I've never used it but I love to solve problems before I have them. Quote the Boy Scouts. Smile

I have 1 of those also and have used it.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 2:59pm
Please note and remember 30 Amp RV service is 110/120 Volt service. 50 amp RV service is 220 Volt service.

It is the nature of 220 that one hot leg plus the neutral will give 110/120.

Using a dog bone to convert 50A to 30A is only using half the power of the 50A connection.

I know, I know... too much information.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
bhamster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Thinker

Using a dog bone to convert 50A to 30A is only using half the power of the 50A connection.

Everything you said is right, but I'm afraid some people will read "half the power of 50A" and think only 25A and therefore not enough for 30A service. This is not the case. The 50A service is really TWO 50A 110V lines (out of phase), so you could theoretically pull 100A at 110V if you used both legs. So pulling 30A from one leg at 110V is well below the 50A limit of each leg.
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by bhamster

Originally posted by Thinker

Everything you said is right, but I'm afraid some people will read "half the power of 50A" and think only 25A and therefore not enough for 30A service. This is not the case. The 50A service is really TWO 50A 110V lines (out of phase), so you could theoretically pull 100A at 110V if you used both legs. So pulling 30A from one leg at 110V is well below the 50A limit of each leg.

Thanks for making that clear. I totally agree. The 50A is 50@220v.
or 100A@110v.

I should have said "only using less than half the available power from the 50A circuit"

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>