R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Owner Needs Help With E2 hitch.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Owner Needs Help With E2 hitch.
    Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 11:15pm

Hi all,

I have been gaining alot of good information from all of you on the forum over the last several months.  I decided on a model 177 and picked it up this week.  I could use some help on my hitch. 

Although I can pull the pod with my 2011 Jeep Liberty (with tow kit), with a regular hitch ball, I decided to opt for the Fastway E2 hitch.  After reading different opinions on the forum, I decided it might be good insurance.  When we tried to install it, We found the hitch on the car (at its lowest setting) is about 6 1/4" too high for the trailer (level). 

Camera
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Focal Length
55mm
Aperture
f/5.6
Exposure
1/200s
ISO

The  picture shows the different measurements.  It seems like I have two options if I hope to get this hitch to work on my Jeep. 

Option 1 - The hitch manufacturer makes two additional size of shanks that would give me more drop.  They have one that will give 7" of drop that should do the trick.  The only problem I am concerned with is that it adds about 6" more drop to the shank so that the bottom of that would be about 5 3/4" off the ground.  Will that cause me problems?

Option 2 - They also make a bar with about 4" of drop.  That is 11" in length and would be about 8 3/4" off the ground.  So, I think the second option would be to put a riser kit on the Rpod and get the mid length shank. 

I would appreciate any suggestions based on your experiences.  Are there other solutions I haven't thought of?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Pat
Rpod 177 & and Jeep Liberty
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 5:43am
    Welcome to the forum! Our last tow vehicle was a 2010 Liberty and we used the Equalizer 4 point sway control WDH. The Liberty has a high receiver and we too had to order the optional longer shank. I forget the length I will have to measure it not able to do that now. A question do you have the risers on you Rpod? If not I would highly recommend them it will give you more clearance all the way around for your hitch and trailer. Later today I can give you the measurements of our shank. We did get the risers and found out before the risers we did not have enough clearance for the hitch. The Equalizer hitch is a great hitch and helps a lot in towing especially with the Liberty and its short wheel base. Let me know if I can be of any more help.     David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 8:50am
Here is my E2 Hitch on my 09 Jeep Liberty. I have the 2 1/2 inch drop and axle risers. I am still about an inch high but I have not had any issues with this. I would recommend axle risers as they make sense anyways. I scraped both rear jacks off of my Pod before I put the risers on. You will probably have to go to the the 4 inch because It looks like you have a stock hitch which mounts behind the bumper . Mine is a Curt hitch that hangs below the bumper a good 2 inches.

I hope this helps some.  

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 9:36am
   We have the Equalizer 4 point sway control, do not know how that differs from the E2 that you have as far as shanks and there clearance. We had the factory tow package that included the hitch. The shank we used was part#90-02-4340 with a 6" drop and 10" rise, shank length 12". We no longer have the Liberty and now have a 2012 Ram 1500 and with that we use the same Equalizer hitch and shank. Hope this helps.    David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 9:38am
As already mentioned, first get the risers and then go from there.  You'll gain 3 1/2 inches from the risers so you won't need a much larger shank.  Use this online tool to figure out the shank size you need (the Equalizer is the E2's big brother and is made by the same company), just add 3 1/2 inches to the Coupler Height.  Until you get your final configuration, if the 173 has the fresh water tank up front I recommend towing with a full tank to put more load on the tongue (or filling either the gray or black tank if they are up front and you can dump them when you get to camp).

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 9:40am
Off-topic, is that a dual-propane-tank platform just behind your jack?  How do the tanks attach to that pole?
pkelly251 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 2:42pm
Pat
pkelly251 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 2:51pm
Thanks for the replys.  I am trying to place an order for the riser kit.  It sounds like that should help.  Techntrek - Here is a link to what my dual propane tank holder looks like with all the parts. With the different comment about the Rpod being lite on the tongue, I am hopeful it can handle it.  

Pat
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 4:25pm
Ah, now I see.  Made your link clickable, I hope you don't have a problem ordering the risers.
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 4:53pm
You'll like the risers. I went for a couple of years before I added mine but glad I eventually did. No more scraping the tongue jack at gas stations.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
 Post Reply Post Reply