Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle troubles on our 2010, 177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle troubles on our 2010, 177
    Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 11:47pm
We recently purchased a used 2010 rpod 177 from a private party who had purchased the rpod new. On our second excursion into a remote area near Yosemite several weeks ago, the wheel bearings on one side went out. It was quite an ordeal just getting the trailer safely moved to repair shop in that area, since the wheel nearly came off. According the repair shop guys where the trailer was transported, the axle will need to be replaced. We were told that the original axle is no longer made and that a new one will need to be custom built. When I called the service dept. at the dealership where the rpod was originally purchased, I was told that a replacement axle was certainly available, even if the original one was no longer made: it didn't need to be custom built. The service agent added that we needed to know where the unit was built (how do we figure that out?) and/or get the serial number off of the damaged axle to determine a replacement axle. The service agent at the dealership added that this problem had never been encountered at their shop. She gave us an Indiana phone number to call, which we did, and has yet to be returned. We are troubled. We aren't mechanics and are very concerned about getting the repair job done correctly and with the right parts. Any advice/experiences from other rpod owners would be greatly appreciated.
Meg & Ken
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 6:24am
Forrest River will want the VIN number for your 177, and then can determine the replacement axle.  If the repair shop that has the trailer can't make it so it can move you might want to see if the nearest r-pod dealer can move it to their shop.  My guess is that transportation will be the most expensive part of the repair.  It sounds like the shop where it is wants to make you an axle, and may not be happy with you providing the parts.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 7:03am
    If possible I would get a second opinion, I am no mechanic either but sounds odd the axle needing to be replaced. And if they were wrong in saying the axle was no longer available maybe they are wrong in saying the axle needs to be replaced.     David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 8:17am
Did you Damage the Spindle? That is the only reason I can think of to replace the axle if the bearings go out. You cannot weld on a torsion axle so you cannot replace a damaged spindle. If the spindle is not damaged you can replace the bearings and maybe the hub if the bearing seats were damaged. 

This is what the spindle looks like. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Megan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 9:02am
Yes, the spindle was damaged. Apparently, the mechanics had to really work to get everything apart to even examine the spindle. 
Thank you for the picture. 
The original dealer of the trailer said the failure was likely due to a lack of wheel bearing maintenance. While I don't necessarily doubt that, we know the previous owners used that dealer for the recommended maintenance schedules. Interesting that they would say that. They added that wheel bearings need to be repacked each year, or after 5,000 miles. I was then given the Indiana number to call.
Right now I am in Ohio visiting family. Once California wakes up, I will try to track down the correct part through the service dept of the dealer (or might you have a recommended one that i could talk to?) and then call the mechanics up with what I've found. Hopefully, I can get to the bottom of this part issue today. I suspect it may take some time to get the part.
Meg & Ken
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Megan

Yes, the spindle was damaged. Apparently, the mechanics had to really work to get everything apart to even examine the spindle. 
Thank you for the picture. 
The original dealer of the trailer said the failure was likely due to a lack of wheel bearing maintenance. While I don't necessarily doubt that, we know the previous owners used that dealer for the recommended maintenance schedules. Interesting that they would say that. They added that wheel bearings need to be repacked each year, or after 5,000 miles. I was then given the Indiana number to call.
Right now I am in Ohio visiting family. Once California wakes up, I will try to track down the correct part through the service dept of the dealer (or might you have a recommended one that i could talk to?) and then call the mechanics up with what I've found. Hopefully, I can get to the bottom of this part issue today. I suspect it may take some time to get the part.

Even If you don't repack the bearings every year they should be inspected. If the seal failed grease would leak out or get contaminated leading to premature bearing failure. 

(EDIT) Note that you do not need to put on the same axle that was originally on the Pod as long as it meets the same specs. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 9:16am
Good advice above.  Get your VIN number from your title and call Forest River.  Numbers below.  They have used two different axles over the years so it is likely the one they use now can be used as a replacement.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Megan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 9:27am
I couldn't find a way to talk directly to Forest River. The web site makes a reference to a local dealership.

The transportation problem was huge! We were in an off road area in the High Sierras far from any town. The shop where the trailer is now is a AAA emergency road serve agent as well as repair shop (it had local recommendations, for what that is worth). On site, the mechanic was able to patch it together somehow to get it the 30 miles to their shop. To have hired a commercial transport to the valley 80 miles away was a couple thousand bucks! We would like avoid that if at all possible. I didn't get the impression that that the shop would resist us supplying the part, but I guess we will find that out real soon. 
Meg & Ken
Megan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 9:34am
Thank you for the number. I'm on it!
Meg & Ken
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 10:54am
Good luck on the return call from forest river. I'm still waiting and it's been over a week, I also tried lippert and no response. My problem is the brakes not backing off and over heating the drum and bearings . Local R Pod dealers suggestion without seeing the trailer was replace the axle. Guess they need the business .
             Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>