Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuggestions on R-Pod Models

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions on R-Pod Models
    Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 2:49pm
We have been looking into R-Pods for a few years now. What are model recommendations and how much work does it take to get ready for one.

P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 6:15pm
We bought our 171 last fall after spending a 1.5 years researching them. By far the Pods are better built than anything else we ever found out there. We went with the 171 because since it was our first trailer we wanted to break in easy, not wanting to mess with a slide at this time (one more thing to learn and deal with). And since we have been camping for years and spend most of our time outside doing things when we are camping, and it is just the two of us and Comet, the size works great for us. Plus, since our tow vehicle is only rated at 3500# we wanted to keep our trailer as light as possible, and the 171 is the lightest one there is.

The best advice I can give is to think about what type of camping you will be wanting to do, what you like to do inside vs outside a trailer, how many people/kids/dogs/cats/birds will be coming along, and what amenities you want. Then match it up to the various Pod configurations and go from there. Take into account also what you are towing it with, the area you live and will go camping in, and whether or not you may need to get a different vehicle.

My 2 cents worth ... if you have more questions feel free to ask away, as there are a lot of experienced Podders around here on the forum!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 8:30pm
Good advice from P&M. Think small to start with, especially if there are only two of you. The 171 or 172 are the lightest weight  models. We chose the 172 to minimize weight, avoid the slide, and not have to climb over each other at night. Not having to convert a dinette to a bed before bedtime was also a big point for us.

Make sure your tow vehicle will be adequate. You'll need at least a 3500 pound towing capacity. A Honda CR-V will not even come close.

Good luck on your search,
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 11:33pm
+ 1
Charlie M would you please enlarge your print, so old fogies like me can read your post's
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 10:44am
Originally posted by skooterbeej

We have been looking into R-Pods for a few years now. What are model recommendations and how much work does it take to get ready for one.

Picking a model really has a lot to do with how you camp.  How many people, how do you prepare your meals when you camp, would you spend a lot of time in your Pod or are you the type who would use an RV just for sleeping at nights mostly.

That's one reason why there are so many floorplans, they really do accommodate a lot of different types of camping.
wooddl View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 1:08am
I'm a new owner of a 2014 182-G.. After a couple camping trips we're loving the outdoor kitchen. Haven't even used the indoor sink or stove.  The slide out gives us enough room to move around and my kids are in love with their bunks..  Before you buy, give one of the garage units a look.. 
2014 RP-182G
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 9:53am
Originally posted by wooddl

I'm a new owner of a 2014 182-G.. After a couple camping trips we're loving the outdoor kitchen. Haven't even used the indoor sink or stove.  The slide out gives us enough room to move around and my kids are in love with their bunks..  Before you buy, give one of the garage units a look.. 

Also a huge fan of my "g" model!
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 5:18pm
All the pods are good. Getting the right fit depends on your lifestyle and needs. We have been camping 25 years, first a tent, then a pop up, then a small fifth wheel pulled with a Tundra,

Then we bought a big fifth wheel and a big diesel pickup to tow it. Then we looked at what we were paying for the truck plus the camper, and traded all that for a 36' diesel pusher.

Now, we had to have a toad to tow behind the DP. Honda Pilot fit fine as it tows 4/flat. Added lights, tow bars, air brakes to the Honda.

We then went West along the Lewis and Clark Trail. Through Yellowstone, and the Tetons. Down through the Rockies...

But we began to notice a few things... the bigger our rigs got, the less time we spent outdoors. Costs went up, and with all the mechanical systems maintenance became a chore.

We also noticed on several of our rigs that all slides will leak at some point..

We sold it all and stayed home long enough to build a house after Katrina. But we began to miss the RV experience.

The RV dealer in our little town brought in a few R-Pods.. they looked interesting. We decided on the 171 as a minimalist move. A queen size bed on wheels with a potty, cook top, fridge, and microwave. Good enough. Ours came with a dome, but we have not put it up yet. Not long enough in one place.

Ask your self hard questions. How much is want, vs how much is absolute necessity. We love our choice, but I am sure if you choose another model, you will be equally happy. Just look at several and think it through.

Our TV has a 5000# rating. I would NOT tow with anything else. Remember the CGVW is what really counts. Any cargo put in the TV needs to be subtracted from the available tow rating.

Also remember that the listed weights on mfg websites are dry empty units. No propane, battery, microwave, blue jeans or beanie weenie cans.

NO matter what get the brake controller. I like Prodigy and have had several.

Enjoy

Thinker
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
seldovia View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 7:57am
Lots of research got us a 178 with the queen back and the dinette/queen in the front. Works great for our family of four (boys 12 and 14) and the dome/screen room was great for the mosquito area of south Mn. We have the cover for longer times in the driveway and storage, and looking for a bike rack for the rear hitch and a generator for either the storage compartment or the tongue.
Tammy/Randy and the Boys
2013 178 lifted
2013 Durango 6 tow pkg
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 11:46pm
Welcome, seldovia.  If you put a genset in the storage compartment make sure you don't run it there.  Keep in mind that running it on the tongue will transfer vibrations through the frame and noise through the front wall.  Here was my solution to vibration and noise:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3689&title=my-generator-mount
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply