R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle Riser Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle Riser Kit
    Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 1:57pm
I have read several posts praising the benefits of the FR axle riser kit for R-Pods.  Unfortunately, the price seems steep for such a simple kit.  Does anyone know of an aftermarket kit or has anyone fabricated a set for their R-Pod?

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 2:14pm
You could definitely fab your own if you have a decent welding and fab shop. they are just made out of heavy C channel steal with cross bracing welded in and holes drilled in the right place but I did not have the welding skills to complete the work myself.  This is not a good picture but it is the only one I have now. 

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 3:17pm
Scrape off a couple of jacks and you will have paid for the risers.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 3:30pm
I would love to see someone on here start making and selling these things.  There is nothing to them really.  If I had the tools AND skills I would do it.  I think someone could make them, mark up a profit margin and undersell FR with no problem.  Plus there would be a market for them.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 4:34pm
Liability,liability, liability. That's what we pay for
         Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 4:50pm
Yep.. my very insurance minded wife points out there only about a thousand or so things that could go wrong with them, none of which were a "failure" of the part, that you could/would be sued for, from the recipient dropping the heavy box on their tow, to the installer dropping the trailer off the jack stands.. etc etc etc etc etc.

see: pyroclaw disclaimer.

BTW: one of the FR/Pod reps that checks in on the FB group says 90% of pods come with them..
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 6:57pm
Thanks everyone for the photo and the comments.  I agree, fabrication would be a simple task, if you have the necessary equipment and steel stock.  I no longer have my welder nor do I have the steel stock, but I do have the skill and the cutting and boring equipment required.  Add in the cost of SS hardware, I doubt if I could replicate the FR product less expensively. 

Just a few observations.  My use of the term "axle riser" was inappropriate.  The risers are simply a pair of spaces between the axle and the trailer frame.  The rise is in the framework and body of the pod, not the axle. 

As for liability, personally installing risers is no different in terms of liability to installing a trailer hitch.  If FR risers should fail, FR could claim the failure was due to faulty installation, product abuse, etc.  Personal injury before or during installation is the installer's liability.  As furpod said, the manufacturer is only responsible for defects in design, material or manufacture.

Since the risers are only spacers, there is really no reason why they have to be 4" high.  From what I have been reading, perhaps a 2" or a 3" height would be better.

When I posed my question, I was hoping an after-market product might be available, but apparently that is not the case.  Can someone tell me what FR charges for the axle kit and shipping cost to the pod owner?  I am assuming all the necessary hardware is included.

Bob
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 7:36pm
As for liability, personally installing risers is no different in terms of liability to installing a trailer hitch.  If FR risers should fail, FR could claim the failure was due to faulty installation, product abuse, etc.  Personal injury before or during installation is the installer's liability.  As furpod said, the manufacturer is only responsible for defects in design, material or manufacture. 

10-4 I bought the hardware to tow my truck behind our Motorhome just the two pieces that bolted to my truck frame,over $300 made in Portland or, they said liability ,so was just going by what they said, seems a little high to me to.
            Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 12:28am
Personally I wish they were 6" instead of 4".
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 10:04am
Right on, Doug.

I just spent a week at an Alabama state park in which the sewer pipes were elevated on concrete pads and the camp sites had been slightly washed out. That was fun. Could only empty the gray tank half way until water flow ceased. Even in the "mountains" of Alabama water will not flow up hill. Maybe if the Pod had been built on an 18 wheeler flatbed chassis.Wink

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>