Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 3:39pm
Howdy.
tnscoots View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 3:55pm

Hello folks - I tried to get this intro into my first post, but alas, it was blank. Please let me know your take on the simple questions below. Tom

Just signed on to the R-Pod group and although we don’t own one yet I do want to ask a couple of questions.  Does anyone pull a model 177 or similar with a 4 cyl. Tacoma?  I have a 2012 with auto trans and a good cooler, and the tow rating is 3500 lb.  Would we be pushing it too much with this truck?  My wife is quite resistant to upgrading to a V-6 Tacoma or I’d do it now. 

Also I’d like to hear about ya’ll’s experiences with the pod in terms or durability and such, particularly those of you who may pull it down rough dirt roads from time to time.  I know that I’d want the axle lift kit before doing so, but has anyone stressed their pods a bit by “out-backing” it some.

Cheers,

Tom

Baton Rouge

Tom
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 4:10pm
4cyl Taco may be asking a bit much, but, I am sure someone is doing it. If you stay in the flatlands.. (I loved my Taco, but let it go because it was a 4cyl, but it never let me down..)

As far as bouncing a Pod on a dirt road.. well.. it's not made for that. Very few campers are. They are as well built as anything in their price range. I would say better than "anything" else, but admit I haven't seen them all... And of course.. (disclaimer) "bouncing down a dirt road" is subjective.. I worked on tanks for 20 years.. my idea of "bad road" is different from someone who grew up and lived in the city all their lives.. like my mom. who thinks my driveway is a bad road..
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 6:52pm
After this post, I may have to change my screen name to Debbie Downer, so here goes. The Pod is a really nice little travel trailer. It's not designed to be an off road war wagon. A 4 cyl Taco is a great little truck, not designed to tow a wind pushing TT. Lots of people have posted with excitement about towing a Pod with their 3500 lb or so tow capable tow rig. A very few have reposted about how well their tow rig has done. Many have sold their pod and drifted away, or like a lot of us, bit the bullet and bought something that was capable of doing the job when towing.

I towed our Pod with a 6 cyl Taco with the tow pack, and it did very well, and yet I moved back to a full sized Tundra. I AM kinda demanding of my tow rig's performance, so keep that in mind while reading what I've written. Don't set yourself up for towing/camping failure unless you've got a ton of cash to burn. Trailer camping is supposed to be fun, not an exercise in frustration.

P/S Welcome and I hope whatever decisions you make are good for you.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 6:51am
Welcome to the group!  I have taken my Pod off road.  If you do that just take it slow and easy.  As with any camper you would put things away when towing.  A lot depends on the type of ground you will be going over.  Down here in FL it is mostly sand so you wouldn't try dragging a camper off road unless you had a 4X4.  The axle riser would be a must for off roading.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 5:43pm
Just recently I saw some owners buy a new Pod and had a 4cyl vehicle.  Their dealer said they'd tow it just fine, shortly after they have posted that sure they can tow it, on flat roads!

I tow with a smaller 6cyl SUV that's rated for #5000lbs once set up for towing and after 3 seasons we've decided we're upgrading to a bigger tow vehicle next spring.

And I don't like taking the Pod on much of anything that goes far beyond a roughly paved back road to a campground.  She just doesn't like it.
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 6:07pm
If the road has any washboard characteristics you need to put extra latches on every thing.  We have had drawers on the floor driving on the good roads here in NJ (we pay for them, after all!).  Cry
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
LindaP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 9:55pm
We just took our first trip towing our 178 with a 4 cyl Tacoma 4WD. With the good towing hitch, sway bar, new plugs, and new oxygen sensors it does okay if the road's aren't too steep. It will do the hill, as our own road is one of the steepest around, but slowly and it does put a strain on the engine. Headwinds are also difficult. Biggest problem is our driveway is so steep we're going to have to get axle risers. If I had to do it again, I would think twice about getting the pod with our present truck. Neither of us want to get rid of our Tacoma - we love it.
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 8:25am

Welcome.  Given the area of the country that you live in, and assuming you won't be making trips over to the Rockies, you will most likely be on fairly flat land during your travels.  Therefore you should be okay with your current TV. 

P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>