R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed#178 Magnavox DVD Player - Bum!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: #178 Magnavox DVD Player - Bum!
    Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 12:49am
Just took my first trip in my 2014 Model 178 - everything was 10 stars with one exception. The over-bed entertainment center. It has NO headphone plugin - no way to tilt the screen to viewing while lying down in bed (tilts front/back just fine but who is gonna be watching from the kitchen area?) - will not play my MP3 CDs I made (they have always played on all other players I have ever used) - they will not play MP4 DVD movies I have recorded (public domain oldies) - I swear Forest River bought 10,000 of these players that were left over from 1990.  All things considered, my "PodCicle" was a sheer delight to live in. I bet I had 25 people ask for a "look-see" inside. Not one single person expressed a negative comment.  Forest River has a winner with their R-Pods!

By the way, it's totally easy to replace the entertainment center with a more modern up-to-date unit.  WTG Forest River and Blue Dog RV in Post Falls, ID.

Terry2Cent
"You are NEVER lost if you don't care where you are".
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 9:38am

Sounds like you had a blast on your first trip ... and learned what we have pretty much all learned about the entertainment centers in our pods!  We always felt that it would be great to watch a movie when it is raining out, until we actually tried it once.  That 7" screen and crappy sound made us give up halfway through it.

And get used to the visitors asking for a look ... we have yet to go out where we didn't get a couple each day asking about it.

Where'd you end up going?  We are former Seattle-ites ourselves and grew up in Spokane and have camped all over WA state ... miss those mountains and sea!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
TopJimmy5150 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 7:10am
Ours has an Audiovox DVD Player/TV Combo, and it has the same shortcomings. 
Jay

2014 R-Pod RP178
2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewman
2008 Honda Odyssey
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 8:01am
We watch almost no TV/DVD's, so we aren't to bothered with the dumb thing.. but I think when I add a storage cabinet at the "foot" end of the bed, I will mount it there.. at least then you will be able to see it from the bed, even if from nowhere else in the pod.
Terry2Cent View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 9:49pm
P & M - - I camped at the Evergreen Sportsman's Club just south of Olympia, WA. I participated in the Washington State Trapshooting Championships Hug. Seven days of sun, rain and wind - and my "Podcicle" came thru with flying colors. I was amazed at how cool it stayed inside while it was 90+ outside. The AC almost froze me out after running for only 10 minutes LOLOLOL Thumbs Up

I'm thinking of attending the rally down in Oregon in a couple weeks if I can work out my schedule. I'm going down to AZ in Oct to look for meteorites - my main hobby is metal detecting. I look forward to more & more & more camping in my comfy Podcicle.     Terry
"You are NEVER lost if you don't care where you are".
Jdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 9:44am
In our 178 we just put a TV/DVD combo on the wall by the door and ignore the thing above the bed. 19" TV fits in fine.  
I think we will do something with the above the bed box for storage eventually but it does hold the switch box for the Tv amplifier so I don't want to just rip it out. 
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 10:22pm
I like our little Audiovox DVD Player/TV Combo for showing off the camper. Everyone is fooled just as badly as I was into thinking that it's a very clever and practical unit. I don't let on that the viewing experience is pathetic.
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 9:03am
Yes it is, luckily ours only gets used by our kids when they are winding down at night.  Not to mention there are many models on the market which can run from 12 volts....
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
KrogPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 11:24am
I have to agree, we have the 172 that has the Audiovox and it is almost worthless.
Our camper prior to the R-Pod was a T@B and it was equipped with a JVC CD/DVD/Radio and a 19" tv with separate audio speakers and was great, had supper picture great sound from either tv or CD/DVD. I am going to check into that same setup for our KrogPod.

Paul
2014 RP-172, AKA KrogPod
2003 S10 ExCab V6 4.3L Automatic
Central Texas
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 1:49am
We have the audiovox version. The sound stopped working on our winter break trip. Called up audiovox to troubleshoot. No luck getting it to function correctly. I have a tech reference number and an appoinemt with camping world to assess it and get it replaced. Doubt they'll give us better equipment. Thankfully it's still under warranty. Didn't find may options for replacing it with a similar device on amazon. Hope FR can take care of this quickly before spring camping.
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>